Subject: Good solo games? (& printing game off computer?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all - I did some browsing on the forums and couldn't find anything that answered my question.

I recently had my first run in with Warhammer Quest and LOVED it! I'm in the process of printing off my own copy of the game, so I'll have that to ATTEMPT to solo though. But besides that game, what are some solid solo games anyone here has had the joy of playing and can recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Good solo games?

Here's a Geeklist which will link you to many other different Geeklists about solitaire gaming ....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19939

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another 3 geeklists for you to check:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/40188
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/35907
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44133
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wowza - you rock. Thank you much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like tactial man to man games, check Ambush! and its expansions. It's a solo paragraph based wargame where each counter represents one man. Very nice.

A bit more complex and on a slightly higher level (each counter represents 1-3 men I think) is the solo wargame Fields of Fire. It uses cards to generate terrain so it has lots of variability and although more complex plays very well.

Aside from wargames, there are a few other games you can play solo like Ghost Stories where you defend a town from the assault of a horde of ghosts and other night creatures. Plays very well solo, but can also be played cooperatively with up to 4 players. It's very puzzle-like but at the same time the situation is constantly changing, so you have to quickly adapt your plans. It also has a lot of variability and is quite challenge.

And if you like fantasy adventure, check out Magic Realm which is quite complex but there's really nothing like it in this genre. Arkham Horror is another very good adventure game that plays well solo and is easier to find.

And if you don't mind printing, Free Trader is a good take on the space trading genre (similar to the classic Elite computer game). A simpler take on this genre, as a dice game is my own p'n'p Star Trader's Luck which is all about rolling and rerolling dice to get good buying/selling prices on a few commodities and getting as much profit as possible from planet to planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My five year old nephew played Carcassonne against himself And guess what: He won!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mona's Board Game Land c/o Lance Strohsahl
Japan
Takayama-shi
Gifu-ken
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My five year old nephew played Carcassonne against himself And guess what: He won!

Who lost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
te3b0r
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So far the Solo Games I am really digging are Runebound, Arkham Horror, and the AH version of Blackbeard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've read a bit about Runebound here and did a bit of researching of it and it seems right up my alley. It seems like there's a bit of character development, which I really like. A really involved game is what I'm looking for. AH looks OK, but I haven't really read enough about it to get the exact feel of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
te3b0r
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nicoga3000 wrote:
I've read a bit about Runebound here and did a bit of researching of it and it seems right up my alley. It seems like there's a bit of character development, which I really like. A really involved game is what I'm looking for. AH looks OK, but I haven't really read enough about it to get the exact feel of it.

I think both Runebound and Arkham would be right up your alley then. Also Blackbeard is VERY involved at little overwheleming at first but once you get the hang of it, it can be a breeze. Plus its Pirates!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Between Arkham Horror and Runebound, which would you recommend? I have a copy of Runebound on hold and there's a copy of Arkham Horror right up the street that I can pick up instead.

Which one would you all say offers a more "exciting" solo game? Also, variety would be nice...So each game should be a different and fun experience.

Off topic a bit, but what's the best way to print off board game pieces and tiles and cards for lasting appeal? I have the files for Warhammer Quest (since you sadly cannot buy it anymore, although as soon as GW decides to reprint this masterpiece, I will make a purchase *crosses fingers*) and want to print off a copy for myself to play. I'm not sure the best way to do this...Mounting, printing, etc. Help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (Second Edition) - One of my favorite games to play solo. Just make sure add in some sort of timer (either Doom Tokens or the Threat Track from the Midnight Expansion). If you have a penchant for fantasy themed games you can't really go wrong with this one. If you plan on playing this with friends make sure you play with 2-3 MAX...otherwise you will be sitting around the table for a loooooong time.

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game - I love playing this one solo. Its not as good as the competitive game, but I think its light years better than the co-op game. Highly atmospheric, cool mechanics and excellent components help solidify this one.

Arkham Horror - My favorite game to solo. Brutal difficulty, stunning artwork and complex mechanics. A very meaty experience that is highly thematic and such a blast to play. A fantastic game that is great at generating entertaining play sessions.

Red November - Playing with three gnomes and trying to survive until help arrives is intense. A tiny game that packs a ton of value into the box. Just when you think everything is gonna be alright some crazy crap goes down and you wind up burning to death in the engine room...

Ghost Stories - A very hellish game to beat, but tons of fun. If you are up for a challenge go ahead and give this one a shot. The game comes with solo rules (always a plus) but I just play with 4 monks instead.

Though I've never tried it I've read on The Geek that Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game plays pretty well solo. You just need to find a varient that works well for you.

Good luck.

~ Bones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ObfuZcate wrote:
Quote:

Who lost?

We do not know. He just said he won with a huge grin in his face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If You are into print and play this one might work but its neither sole nor wargamey so I warned You: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/3590568#3590568
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for solitaire wargames I recommend B-17: Queen of the Skies and Patton's Best. Both are out-of-print, however, so you'll have to pick them up from the BGG marketplace (or through a BGG trade) or from eBay. Both games have an RPG aspect to them in that you name the crewmembers and follow their exploits through a mission or a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
If you're looking for solitaire wargames I recommend B-17: Queen of the Skies and Patton's Best. Both are out-of-print, however, so you'll have to pick them up from the BGG marketplace (or through a BGG trade) or from eBay. Both games have an RPG aspect to them in that you name the crewmembers and follow their exploits through a mission or a campaign.

I'm not much into the wargaming style (outside of 40k).

I think I've pretty much decided between Arkham Horror and Runebound. Ghost Stories seems neat, but I'm not sure it offers the variability that AH and Runebound do. But this ultimately raises my question again of AH vs Runebound. I can't decide which I would enjoy more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AH is the better game multiplayer or solo. The expansions also add a lot of replayability (although I guess this is also true of Runebound). In Runebound you're basically just fighting so you can level up and fight tougher monsters (expansions may add other things to do). In AH there's a lot of things to do: fight monsters, get clues, close gates, have a variety of interesting encounters, etc... As a solo game, AH requires a lot of cooperation between characters (if you're playing with more than one, of course) and as it was built from scratch as a solo/coop game, it works much better.

BTW, Ghost Stories is a whole different type of game. It's not an adventure game like Runebound or AH, but a more direct and tactical game. You have to fight almost every turn and move your pieces to solve each problem the best way. It feels puzzle-like but don't let that deceive you, it has LOTS of variability (random setup, random deck) and even within one game the problems you're confronted with are constantly changing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicoga3000 wrote:
Off topic a bit, but what's the best way to print off board game pieces and tiles and cards for lasting appeal? I have the files for Warhammer Quest (since you sadly cannot buy it anymore, although as soon as GW decides to reprint this masterpiece, I will make a purchase *crosses fingers*) and want to print off a copy for myself to play. I'm not sure the best way to do this...Mounting, printing, etc. Help?

What I do is print on label paper, laminate and then stick to cardboard or 3mm foam sheets. Then cut with a ruler and a cutter. It works very well and the pieces are pretty durable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
nicoga3000 wrote:
Infomanohio wrote:

I'm not much into the wargaming style (outside of 40k).

I think I've pretty much decided between Arkham Horror and Runebound. Ghost Stories seems neat, but I'm not sure it offers the variability that AH and Runebound do. But this ultimately raises my question again of AH vs Runebound. I can't decide which I would enjoy more!

My vote is for Arkham Horror. Runebound can get pretty repetitive which is only accentuated by playing solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, you mentioned Warhammer 40k. You know about the new Space Hulk (third edition) right? I haven't played solo, but the solo variant from the 1st ed is available to download from the old Space Hulk page...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maka wrote:
BTW, you mentioned Warhammer 40k. You know about the new Space Hulk (third edition) right? I haven't played solo, but the solo variant from the 1st ed is available to download from the old Space Hulk page...

Yeah, problem is getting a copy. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicoga3000 wrote:
maka wrote:

Yeah, problem is getting a copy. yuk

Well... ask around, I think someone mentioned GW stores do have copies and some LGS too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicoga3000 wrote:
Hi all - I did some browsing on the forums and couldn't find anything that answered my question.

I recently had my first run in with Warhammer Quest and LOVED it! I'm in the process of printing off my own copy of the game, so I'll have that to ATTEMPT to solo though. But besides that game, what are some solid solo games anyone here has had the joy of playing and can recommend?

?? Where'd you get the floor tiles (also such as corridors), the right ratio of encounter/floor cards, etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maka wrote:
Well... ask around, I think someone mentioned GW stores do have copies and some LGS too...

I found 2 copies here in Indianapolis earlier. They DO exist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.