Subject: Do you play with this house rule to speed up the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once it's a player's turn, they must immediately decide whether to change gears or not and then immediately roll the gear die. Once the gear die is rolled, they would have to immediately move their car the required number of spaces without any pauses. Any move is fixed and they are not allowed to backtrack.

Poll
What do you think of this house rule?
I've always played with this house rule!
I occasionally play with this house rule.
I only play with this house rule when playing with big groups.
I've never tried it but sounds like an interesting idea.
In my experience, this house rule ruins the game for me.
No thanks. Sounds like a bad idea and I'd never want to try it.
      78 answers
Poll created by Dodya

Erratum: "I've always played with this house rule!" also means "I always/almost always play with this house rule, i.e. it is my preferred way of playing the game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our league has ten players and we race two laps. Races last about 2.5 hours without this rule. Works fine for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Players should really be counting spaces ahead of time. You can get an idea of your best 2-3 options. Even if another players' move alters your plans, you will have given it some thought ahead of time.

It's not all that hard IMHO. Experience is the key here, and the only way to speed up the game.

It also helps not having people obsessed with a perfect move. We played at Prezcon earlier this year, and one player asked that no one be allowed to count their move; meaning that they just roll and go for broke. It was intense and fun. Experience makes the game much like that anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Fowler
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, it sounds more like real racing. In a real car race, the driver doesn't have the time to think through each line through a corner. He drives on training, feel and instinct.

The only case where I see this rule not working is when you have a driver in their 1st race. I think they should be given some slack until they get the feel of the game.

I will definitely be using this house rule in our next game.

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a different house rule...don't play this game with anyone that recalculates their move a zillion times each turn. That speeds up the game all by itself. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen r

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried this rule for the first time last night. It sped up the game by 33%! Not only that, but it also added to the drama by forcing a spin-out, and a near collision that ate up many brake points. I highly recommend this variant for anyone who plays regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with the attitude of trying to proceed with my move quickly. We do not force this on other players. Fortunately, no one in our group suffers from AP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't disagree that there's room for a house rule to keep the game pace moving, but I think the house rule as described above is far too strict. I agree that a player should be expected to know right away which gear they wish to use and roll the dice without any thinking (they should have been thinking while you were doing your turn, right?), but once the die has been rolled, there are decisions to be made, sometimes regarding the best place to stop in a corner or the most efficient way to soak up WPs for a big overshoot. Expecting everyone to decide the exact resulting position of a roll "immediately" and without any room for adjustment, is too harsh and will just ruin lots of people's game because they rushed it too quickly while the time limit lawyer was breathing down their necks.

I say keep a timer of some sort at hand. Come up with an agreement that turns are limited to XX seconds (maybe 15 or 20) and even then, don't use the timer unless there are many players (or one player very consistently) going over their time allotment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gillman
England
flag msg tools
mb
We hurry people if they are too long and make jokey comments about them being slow to encourage them to be quicker, but the game has tactics and people approach it differently.
I'm in the school of planning ahead a couple of goes in advance and am always impatient with slow experienced players, but that is their way of playing. It also shows their lack of forward planning, which often shows in the finishing positions.

I suppose this is where people have to decide if they want a board game or an F1 racing sim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.