Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just my being curious. It seems like if the 70-100K estimates are correct, GW sold out awfully fast. Obviously this is not for those who didn't buy a copy.

I bought 2.

Poll
How many copies of Space Hulk 3rd Edition did you buy?
5+
      291 answers
Poll created by bfchooch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:

I bought 2. There's little point in sitting on copies to sell later.

I don't think they're sold out yet though, maybe online, but there are probably still scads in the retail stores.

Just curious, why would there be little point in sitting on them to sell later? You don't expect the prices to go up?

Not that it matters for me, since I bought only one...to play, but I was curious about that statement.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
I bought 2. There's little point in sitting on copies to sell later.

Agreed, my 2nd copy is a backup, not an investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian arkins
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased 2 copies so I can make larger missions depending on player turnouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one, but I am seriously thinking of buying another to save for backup, or give as a gift, or resell possibly (if my FLGS has any left).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two, for expandability and larger maps rather than a re-sell.

It is tempting to try & pick up a third set, paint it, and sell it on, but it seems like a LOT of work for what I'd feel comfortable charging for it.

Speculating on this though is a waste I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from a few speculators trying to force jack the price higher, 3rd ed started dropping in resale value bemusingly fast. Even the piecemeal selling has sputtered.

The unusually high broke-in-box potential and the high print run, mean this thing isnt as rare nor as be-all-end-all as some were banking on.

Time will tell where this goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Secondly the secondary market for 1st edition wasn't that inflated. A quick ebay search shows $80 for a copy. And that's for an edition that wasn't speculated on...

Try 12 months ago and they were going for £200+ actually not even 12 months try 6mths, no try 3mths ago .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought two to allow for huge multiplayer missions. Otherwise I'd have purchased only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one, then I bought another one because I figured having a giant map, and 2 sets of each "side" would make for some fun 4 player action.

Though painting is going to take quite awhile....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 2. Hadn't thought of "backup", but was hoping for a mega-huge combo monster game. I've only opened and built up one set, and still haven't had an opportunity to play it. Yeargh! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you have a link to search results. Searching completed auctions on ebay for "space hulk 1st edition" turns up one sale for me.

Nope you will just have to trust me on this although they have definitely taken a dip since the 3rd edition release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only got 1... I am not rich/greedy enough to try and get 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
He's right - old copies of space hulk would regularly sell for double retail at least, more like $250 for in shrink.

Release of 3rd ed. has brought the price down significantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I would only have purchased one if the tiles were the same thickness as the older editions, but wanted extra tiles for custom missions.

As it is, I could barely afford a second copy, so it is just two for me.

As to prior editions... you could sometimes find one for a reasonable price on ebay or a convention flea market - more likely a tile set than a complete game. Intact copies did tend to list/go for quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was only going to by one do to the $100.00 cost. But ended up picking up two copies as I have multiple copies of all the other Space Hulks and Expansions. I can afford to do this as my local Hobby shop gives nice Discounts to their loyal customers.

The reason I own multiple copies is I like to put on large games from time to time and need many tiles for my boards.

Brother Jim cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered my one copy, mainly to pimp out my 1st edition gameplay. I wouldn't order another, but, if I should happen upon a second copy of 3rd edition in person at a brick & mortar gamestore, I might be sorely tempted to buy it too.

jgerman wrote:
jond wrote:
He's right - old copies of space hulk would regularly sell for double retail at least, more like $250 for in shrink.

Release of 3rd ed. has brought the price down significantly.

I don't care if 1000 people chime in with the same claim, that's not evidence. Thousands of people believe lots of things that aren't true, hell millions do

Care or don't care all you want. You're still wrong. Before 3rd edition's release, Space Hulk regularly sold on ebay in the hundreds. People occasionally bragged about scoring a copy for far cheaper, but they were the exceptions. So why should anyone need to prove it to you? This has all been pretty common knowledge among Space Hulk fans for years. Heck, if you want evidence, just look up some geeklists about expensive games or hard to find grails, and you'll find a Space Hulk entry on every one (usually followed immediately by numerous posts bemoaning how GW still hadn't reprinted it). People aren't making this stuff up out of thin air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:

Then link it, don't make the claims then tell me it's common knowledge. Common knowledge isn't proof and common knowledge often masks myths and misconceptions.

You don't need to prove it to me, but without proof it's nothing more than urban legend.

I want to know prices and frequency. If this knowledge was so common you could pull it up in an heartbeat right? For all this common knowledge no one has given ANY specifics with examples.

Frequency and sale prices, that's what's needed.

Not that in matters, 3e won't reach those levels, fictional or real, for the reasons above.

Why? Why should I link anything for you? Go do it yourself. It's not like you have anything other than your own (lonely) opinion to back your posts up with, and which all the rest of us (who actually know what we're talking about) know to be mistaken. But hey, if you want to go on thinking that you know so much more about the subject than all the fans who've also been interested in and following it for years (as only geeks can), more power to you. Whatever floats your boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Aside from a few speculators trying to force jack...
Is it just me, or does that sound to anyone else like something a Jedi would do in private?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
Aside from a few speculators trying to force jack...
Is it just me, or does that sound to anyone else like something a Jedi would do in private?

I can't believe you went there. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought one. And I had to get it from a neighbouring country to boot, since my own country ran out of copies within a couple of days. I don't think I can find another free copy in this region anymore (not that I want nor need another copy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Peterson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't buy any and am kind of annoyed that it sold out so fast. I feel it's largely due to those who bought multiple copies of the game. In fact I made a geeklist about it.http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/46245

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:

Anyways, as I was saying. Since there is no evidence to the contrary, the 1st edition Space Hulk market wasn't that great. Few copies were on the market which drove up the price a little, but not extravagantly so.

That's unlikely to happen with 3E. There seem to be quite a large number of people speculating which will flood the market and ultimately keep the price proportionally lower than the prices 1E was getting.

http://www.spielboy.com/GeekPrices.php

Check out the completed sales for Space Hulk here at BGG using the link above. You'll find no recent (2009) 1st edition copies for less than $150, and even then only 3. The only complete game to go for less than $100 was a copy of 2nd that sold after the reprint had been announced.

You cannot find 'proof' on eBay as they do not keep auction history beyond 30 days in a searchable form (which means that all data on eBay now is essentially post-reprint and thus suspect), but given that eBay prices track BGG marketplace pricing reasonably well, I'd say you now have all the proof you need.

I know that I personally tried four separate times to bid on a complete 1st ed. and gave up all four times as the bidding went past my limit (which was $150).

pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the prices on eBay for things like old editions of Space Hulk and Talisman were because of the Sheriff and the Frog (and others like them) who would always snap up anything that came on the market -- for an inflated price -- and then turn around and resell it at an even more ridiculous price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing that the Spielboy link cannot show is volume of sales on eBay - as pointed out, sadly, that data is lost to us as eBay doesn't find it in their interest to let sellers or buyers track long-term trends. And they initiate legal action if it comes to light that anyone is scraping their data for anything other than personal purposes.

In any case, what I think you're not giving enough credit to is the bubble effect that the speculators are counting on. There is a good chance that this Christmas will come with Space Hulk being one of the 'must have' games - remember the Cabbage Patch frenzy? Once panic sets in, the prices go through the roof.

There are far too many copies out there for a true rarity-induced price spike, but a temporary bubble is more than reasonable to assume. Time will tell, though.

pk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.