Popular Tags: [View All]
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
During my quite deep card analysis, I found the card The Ring Draws Them [3U83, Plays to your support area. Each time the fellowship moves, add (1) for each burden you can spot. At the end of each of your Shadow phases, exert a Nazgul or discard this condition.] becoming completely useless in multiplayer games; that's because when you are not the first player having a Shadow Phase, rarely you have the tokens to play a Nazgul (and then exert it to maintain The Ring Draws Them). Am I right or I'm misunderstanding the game text of the card...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you are correct. Multiplayer really wasn't supported much with this game and I don't think most cards were designed with multiplayer in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm yes, I agree with you and it's a pity. However in this rare case I think I will house rule this card to let it playable in multiplayer games, because my Twilight Nazgul deck it is not so strong and it really needs this card for a twilight discount

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Garvey
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to disagree with you here - while it's been many years since I've played, LotR TCG *was* definitely designed with multiplayer in mind. I can recall that many of the best sessions I had with this game were with more than 2 players.

In regards to your actual question about "The Ring Draws Them" - you're right - trying to play this when you aren't the first Shadow player can be tricky. However, what we used to do was that all the Shadow players would discuss how the Twilight pool could possibly be distributed amongst us, without actually giving away specific details of the cards in our hands...

It would be something like:
"If I can use 3 twilight, then I can get something out..."
"OK, but if we can keep 4 twilight..." and so on.

So with a bit of negotiation amongst the other Shadow players, you might be able to get the Twilight needed to play "The Ring Draws Them", even if you aren't the first Shadow player. As far as I can recall, all Shadow players in multiplayer were essentially ganging up against the current Fellowship player - which was awesome (and often tense) multiplayer fun!

So yes you'll need certain conditions in effect for the card to be played successfully, but it will certainly make the Fellowship think twice about rushing onwards to the next site....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad you had fun with multiplayer, I guess in our competitive tournament scene we found it to be pretty lame. It seemed more like an afterthought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Garvey
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe - yeah true, I don't think we ever had (nor did I ever see) truly competitive multi-player (probably be an organisational nightmare in a tournament setting!) - but social multiplayer was a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.