11 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Is Alien Rosetta Stone World a production world? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greatman Lim
Finland
flag msg tools
I had a game where my friend had Alien Tech Institute and Alien Rosetta Stone World. Does my friend get 3 or 2 points? ATIA Does produce Alien goods for a Windfall so does it count as a production world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving you the ability to produce on a Windfall World does not change that world into a Production World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greatman Lim
Finland
flag msg tools
Ok, thank you BM!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fitzz wrote:
I had a game where my friend had Alien Tech Institute and Alien Rosetta Stone World. Does my friend get 3 or 2 points? ATIA Does produce Alien goods for a Windfall so does it count as a production world?
Yeah, what makes a card a yellow production world is a circle (either black or red is fine) with a yellow color on the inside of the circle.

Another point of note, keep in mind that with ATI, you only score 3pts for a world like Lost Alien Battle Fleet. You don't score 3pts b/c it's a yellow production, and then another 2pts b/c it has the word "ALIEN" in it. You can only score one of those rows per 6-cost development card. Something I still see experienced players mistakened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're on the subject of stupid mistakes that experienced players make, the alien discount does not apply to Alien Rosetta Stone because it's a grey world. I know this, and yet I occasionally forget about it from time to time, which annoys me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunna wrote:
While we're on the subject of stupid mistakes that experienced players make, the alien discount does not apply to Alien Rosetta Stone because it's a grey world. I know this, and yet I occasionally forget about it from time to time, which annoys me.

That's not your error. That's the game's error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Stunna wrote:

That's not your error. That's the game's error.
Sure it is...

The problem is probably in the way you think about it. In your post, you called it an 'alien discount'. Seems reasonable until you realize it doesn't work on alien keyword cards that aren't yellow. I think the intent was 'yellow discount'. Thinking about it that way helps distinguish that you get a discount for yellow production/windfall and has nothing to do with the keyword. It just so happens that all yellow worlds have the alien keyword (while the opposite clearly isn't true. Don't make me break out the ven diagram!).

Unfortunately, my thinking so ingrains yellow = alien, that I sometimes think of the 1st to 3 alien goal as 1st to 3 yellow and sometimes forget to take into account alien tech inst or alien rosetta stone...blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
Unfortunately, my thinking so ingrains yellow = alien,

Because it is in the rules that yellow = alien. A yellow planet produces an "alien" good. I am sure that the rules say that. Then they use the same word "alien" and they put that word in the same yellow color like so ALIEN.

Of course they mean the same thing. That's what rules do, they tell you what the words and the colors mean. If yellow means "alien" and "alien" means yellow then clearly ALIEN means the same thing. If they had meant for it to be something different they would have colored it purple and called a boysenberry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My point is:

yellow = alien

alien does not = yellow (I forget how to do a slash through the = )

I'd cue the ven diagram, but I was bluffing. I don't have one ready. Could someone whip one up for me? My image-fu is weak at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
My point is:

yellow = alien

alien does not = yellow (I forget how to do a slash through the = )

I'd cue the ven diagram, but I was bluffing. I don't have one ready. Could someone whip one up for me? My image-fu is weak at the moment.
There are few inconsistencies in the galaxy of RftG. For example, the icons used to represent discounts for colored worlds should've also had the color on the outside as well.

The alien thing isn't an inconsistency as it is more of an unfortunate circumstance the way things worked out. Either way, whenever the Overlord Discoveries first goal is out, I remind everyone that it's the first player to have 3 cards with the hilighted word "ALIEN" in it, not just yellow worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
kusinohki wrote:
Unfortunately, my thinking so ingrains yellow = alien,

Because it is in the rules that yellow = alien. A yellow planet produces an "alien" good. I am sure that the rules say that. Then they use the same word "alien" and they put that word in the same yellow color like so ALIEN.

Of course they mean the same thing. That's what rules do, they tell you what the words and the colors mean. If yellow means "alien" and "alien" means yellow then clearly ALIEN means the same thing. If they had meant for it to be something different they would have colored it purple and called a boysenberry.

Yes, yellow = alien, but what Stunna calls an "alien discount" power is actually a "discount on Alien Technology production worlds and Alien Technology windfall worlds", not "discount on Alien cards".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.