Scrabble» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Top 5 Reasons To Play Scrabble rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
TOP 5 REASONS TO PLAY SCRABBLE

It's inexpensive. You can buy a copy of Scrabble starting from 12 bucks. There's no point in investing a lot of money in the so-called "deluxe" editions, all extra they give is a rotating board, a nicer bag and a timer. You can obtain these items from elsewhere for much less (or use the ones you already own).

You can play with anyone. Anyone who knows at least a few words in that given language. (Okay, my dog is still learning the game...) It is documented that over one hundred million sets have been sold, which says it all really. It's a very fun family game and a regular visitor of celebration events like Thanksgiving, Christmas.

Difficulty is in each move, not in the mechanism. The rules are easy to explain and understand. It is also very simple to set up the game; but it starts to get more and more challenging as the tiles are laid. Only 2 players are required for a game of Scrabble (maximum 4, or 4 teams if you have a house full). The main idea of the game is to select a number of tiles then build words from the tiles chosen. Each letter has a numerical value, and with clever positioning on the board, bonuses can be picked up such as "double letter" score or "triple word" score. The idea is to build up as big a points total as possible. There are quite a few rules to get your head around initially, but these are easily "picked up", and it is not uncommon for "house rules" to be invented for ease and speed of play. There's a variant that gives bonus for each word that fits the theme of the social event (say a sports event or Christmas).

It's great for building your vocabulary. It's also great for reactivating your passive vocabulary. And contrary to the urban myth, no, you don't need a dictionary. Time to start looking for those three letter words starting with Q!

It's the ultimate word game. There's no other word game as challenging and as profoundly testing as Scrabble. Think of it like a multiplayer crossword puzzle. Anyone who likes to play on words, will find this a fun game to play. Who gives a damn if this game is not "geeky"? If one finds Scrabble boring, it can mean two things: his vocabulary is not broad enough or he is too lazy to think of creative ways to lay out his letters. Next time you have the letters of BOARDGAMEGEEK at your disposal, think of these combinations:

Beaker Demagog
Meek Egg Abroad
Garbage Do Meek
Damage Kerb Ego
Beaked Gamer Go
Badge Make Gore
Bared Omega Keg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up for the Trinity avatar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schuk
France
Mulhouse
flag msg tools
Les règles tiennent sur un ticket de bus.
badge
Ce jeu, c'est simple.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaert psot! I talolty aerge wtih you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the warm welcome. This article is just a short quip prompted by my urge to point out the positive aspects of this game after rediscovering it for the second time in my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate Scrabble with a passion, but owning a set did lead me to variants like Pick Two! and Bananagrams, which I enjoy much more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You could also try the Admiral Ackbar "It's a TRAP!" GAME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
I hate Scrabble with a passion,

As I said I can understand why so many are frustrated with the game.

celiborn wrote:
but owning a set did lead me to variants like Pick Two! and Bananagrams, which I enjoy much more!

You can play variants without hating the core game, but thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the BIG rule of thumb...ensure that you have all agreed upon which dictionary to use so when someone comes up with a word like AA, you can argue that the dictionary says it's an abbreviation and NOT a word!

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joedy Drulia
United States
Raphine
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
And DON'T forget one of the most powerful 2-letter plays: ZA

I play daily and have won several games over the years as a result of playing ZA.

-joedy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett H
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention the many, many ways to play it that are available now. Facebook, Internet Scrabble Club, Pogo, Quackle, Scrabble for the PSP and DS...A definate resurgence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Arghh. I knew someone would tell me to play it to improve my vocabulary. I don't want to work on my vocabulary. I want to have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
KenHR wrote:
mhowe wrote:
Arghh. I knew someone would tell me to play it to improve my vocabulary. I don't want to work on my vocabulary. I want to have fun.

...because of course the two are mutually exclusive! shake

Let's get rid of rules, too! Who wants to read?

Well, I'll play it when it's fun laugh but I won't play it when it's not fun yuk if all it's does is work my vocab snore Sometimes I'm in the mood for Scrabble and sometimes not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenHR wrote:
mhowe wrote:

...because of course the two are mutually exclusive! shake

Let's get rid of rules, too! Who wants to read?

Exactly. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post; sometimes we geeks forget that mainstream games can be good too. I think Scrabble is the best of the "classic" games that seem to be ubiquitous in America. It's got both strategy and tactics and the random tile draw ensures replayability. The only downside is players who think ZA is a real word. whistle

Unfortunately my wife is so much better at Scrabble than I am, that it's not fun to play with her. She always beats me and I find the length of time she takes for a move frustrating. She constantly plays on her iTouch, so she's found another way to scratch her Scrabble itch. However, you've inspired me. I'll try to challenge her to a game next time I get a chance.

On the "cheap" theme, I'd point out that you can often thrift unplayed Scrabble sets for a couple of bucks. I do think the deluxe set is worth it though, because of the turntable (some people have trouble visualizing words upside down) and the ridged board that holds the tiles in place (I'm a clumsy guy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbucak wrote:
Unfortunately my wife is so much better at Scrabble than I am, that it's not fun to play with her. She always beats me and I find the length of time she takes for a move frustrating.

Is there any way to handicap particularly good players in order to level the playing field? I've heard about putting the better player on a clock (or at least a shorter clock)...but there must be a better variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
dbucak wrote:
Unfortunately my wife is so much better at Scrabble than I am, that it's not fun to play with her. She always beats me and I find the length of time she takes for a move frustrating.

Is there any way to handicap particularly good players in order to level the playing field? I've heard about putting the better player on a clock (or at least a shorter clock)...but there must be a better variant.

Points handicapping is what is usually done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.