Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Middle-Earth Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you have to move during a Travel step to get a Combat or Peril step? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Eckels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I was looking at the rules today and found myself wondering if you had to move during your Travel step (excluding the first one, of course). This could come up if there are several monster tokens in one non-perilous location and you were interested in clearing them. Also, Thalin could potentially camp out on top of a minion that he didn't kill the first time because of insufficient strength.

The rules basis for there being any question is on page 22, it says (emphasis mine), "The hero may move to an adjacent location by discarding the required Hero card(s) from his hand."

The argument against it is, "Each time a hero performs this step, he enacts all parts of the sequence below." Also, under Combat or Peril, it says, "After the current hero has moved to a new location..." so there's an argument that it only occurs upon arriving at the location and can't be done again.

My gut says that sitting there and repeatedly doing battle isn't allowed, but I'm curious enough (and eager enough about the possibility) that I thought I would ask for other people to weigh in. Thanks for your thoughts.

Edit: changed subject to make it clearer this was about getting multiple combats, not about whether you're allowed to stay put during your entire turn (which it's clear you are)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you have to move to combat. If you want to take out multiple monster tokens, back and forth movement is needed. Thalin's Iron Will can of course let him continue his turn even if he doesn't defeat an enemy. Combo with Agility 2 and you could get 2 cards for each monster and then use those to move to an adjacent location and back again (region and card dependant, Horse can help).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules suggest that you don't have to move, but then you also skip the "combat or peril" step, you just explore in place. There's no way to force combat except by moving out and back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this was discussed before and the conclusion was that the hero has to leave and come back. The rules say that in the first Travel step of the turn, a hero can skip the movement and combat/peril parts to get straight to the Explore part, but there's nothing about generally skipping the just the movement part. Hopefully FFG will clarify this in the next FAQ update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard G
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't see why you should have to move out of and back into a location that has multiple encounters you want to benefit from (e.g. consult a character and discard a plot). But you SHOULD have to deal with Combat/Peril *every* time you choose to remain in the location, as if you had just traveled there.

This also means if you start in a location with a minion and combat it during the Ambush Step ending with both combatants exhausted, IF you choose to remain in the location during your Travel Step, you will have to combat it again. This is fair since you had a choice to escape combat by leaving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
rgnet1 wrote:
I don't see why you should have to move out of and back into a location that has multiple encounters you want to benefit from (e.g. consult a character and discard a plot). But you SHOULD have to deal with Combat/Peril *every* time you choose to remain in the location, as if you had just traveled there.

The rules say that "Whenever a hero explores, he may do any or all of" the explore options. So no, you don't need to leave and return to do multiple explore options, because you can do all of them during a single Travel step. But since it's a single Travel step, you only do Combat/Peril once.

Quote:
This also means if you start in a location with a minion and combat it during the Ambush Step ending with both combatants exhausted, IF you choose to remain in the location during your Travel Step, you will have to combat it again. This is fair since you had a choice to escape combat by leaving.

The rules are quite clear on this point: "If a player wishes to explore the location that he started his turn on, he may skip the 'Move' and the 'Combat or Peril' parts of his first Travel step and then explore in his current location (after which he may choose to take additional Travel steps, as normal)." -- page 24.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgnet1 wrote:
This also means if you start in a location with a minion and combat it during the Ambush Step ending with both combatants exhausted, IF you choose to remain in the location during your Travel Step, you will have to combat it again.

As Ian says, the rulebook disagrees with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Tomaszewski
Poland
Zielona Gora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2 player game, one hero is typically more dangerous for Minions/Monsters. The following situation happened already a couple of times:

I Hero round:
hero either moves to Minion location or is ambushed, does not defeat him, so his turn ends
II Hero round:
Hero is still on location with Minion, so he is ambushed and has to fight him again in the first place before moving out.

With more Heros Sauron is able to run away with the Minion and heal him, but typically wounded and exhausted minion would be defeated in the second Hero round. Are we playing it correct? I found that it works like that pretty disturbing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
piotrek78 wrote:
I Hero round:
hero either moves to Minion location or is ambushed, does not defeat him, so his turn ends

Hero turn doesn't end during the Ambush step unless the Hero is defeated. During Ambush, failing to defeat the Minion (or monster) has no bearing on the rest of the turn, apart from the damage you took and cards spent.

Quote:
With more Heros Sauron is able to run away with the Minion and heal him, but typically wounded and exhausted minion would be defeated in the second Hero round. Are we playing it correct? I found that it works like that pretty disturbing.

Even running away and healing requires 2 Actions by Sauron, so isn't generally worth it IMO. If you want to keep Minions alive, have them in Perilous locations (only Ambush works) and then drop a monster on the location to boot (to choose the monster in Ambush instead of the Minion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piotrek78 wrote:

I am not sure why you find this "disturbing". The purpose of the minions is to fight the heroes. If you move the minion away, you can't heal it in the same action, so the hero player can still just chase it down, most of the time. If for some reason he really wants to fight it. Most of the time, the Sauron player wants to continue battle, and the hero player wants to avoid it, not the other way around.

If you have two consecutive fights, and you can't rest between them, you're burning through your life pool at a high rate, you might well win the second fight but most of the time you're going to have some serious inefficiency on the next turn when you don't have any cards left to draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard G
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
rgnet1 wrote:
This also means if you start in a location with a minion and combat it during the Ambush Step ending with both combatants exhausted, IF you choose to remain in the location during your Travel Step, you will have to combat it again.

As Ian says, the rulebook disagrees with you.

Ouch, you're both right on both points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.