Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How strong is the theme in this game? It's not a requirement for me, but it's nice to know what to expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it is on par with most Euros like Goa or Puerto Rico as far as the level of theme goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Honeyfield
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
I would say it is on par with most Euros like Goa or Puerto Rico as far as the level of theme goes.

I would put say Endeavor defiitely has more theme than Goa. The scoring tracks actually give sensible actions taht are tied with a emerging euro power trying to explore the world. I haven't played Puerto Rico so can't comment.

I mean why does it take cloves and cinnamon or whatever combo it is (and not pepper or ginger) to help found a colony in Goa?

Plus Endeavor has a fantatic map board!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You need colonists to found a colonyin GOA.

I played ENDEAVOR yesterday and think it has almost no theme feeling. It's quite abstract. The only theme feeling is set in two things: the connections between the european citys to their colonys. E.g.from Portugal you can connect to south america and the carribean. From Great Britian the game has connections to Northern America an India. And I think the slavery theme is very well. You can use the slavery very well in the beginning but it bites you in the back at the end of the game. Especially, when the abolition of slavery-card is taken...

The rest is using buildings, managing your tokens and trying to generate vicory points.But how the actions are named...I don't care...

Good game, though!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The theme in this game isn't strong. The game play itself is pretty abstract. On the other way around, it isn't pasted on either as things do make sense in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
The overall game is more strongly themed than the sum of its individual parts each of which is quite abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
For what it's worth, in my first game I tried a "historical" strategy: I took Spain as my first European location, then went whole hog for S. America; took Portugal as my second European location (Spain invaded Portugal in the 1580s), and ended up owning all of S. America, with all but one of its cards. I won.

Afterwards, when I mentioned that I tried something based on history (since it was my first game and I was clueless), my host looked at me with a very amused look and said, "I would have never have even thought to do that!" (given that the game is so abstract in many of its mechanics).

As with any game that abstracts its mechanics so much, if you "grok" the abstractions, you can appreciate the theme. If not, it'll feel totally "pasted on". Having studied the period of European discovery and exploration, I can appreciate its theme (though I would say that the game covers events from 1434-1833).

However, there have been many sacrifices for simplicity. For example, to avoid having lines cross, Portugal goes to the Caribbean, not the Indian Ocean, which is completely ahistorical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom!

I never have guessed, that it might be a way of winning the game following the historical way. But I just played it once. That adds a fascinating aspect to the game! I want to play it again!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.