JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Monday. I'm sick today, so I'll probably keep it pretty short.

I had plans this weekend to go up the the game club, but the people I was planning on going with dropped out at the last minute, so I had to find alternate avenues for gaming.
Friday night, I ended up hanging out with a good friend, and we had a guys night. We gorged ourselves on sushi, and then went back to his place to play some games. We started out with two games ofHive, which he had recently purchased and I offered to teach him. Then we played a game of Small World, a game we had gotten he and his wife for their wedding the other weekend. Then we capped off the night with a victorious game of Red November.

Saturday I couldn't find anyone to ride with me up to the game club, so we hung out at my wife's sister's house. While some of the people were finishing up supper and doing other things, We taught my father in law I Go!, a game I had realized a couple days before that I had bought and never played. I was mad that I had inadvertently violated my rule of playing every game I order before I allow myself to order more. Next her mom and sister joined us for a rousing game of Dice Town, unfortunately her mom was rather sleepy, so we finished up quick. Then her younger brother and his girlfriend showed up, and we broke out Bohnanza. Then Casey wanted to try out his new copy of Ca$h 'n Gun$ with the correct number of players. We had a blast playing it, even though my wife is still a bit Meh about it.
Then we finished up with trying out Are You the Traitor?, which I felt didn't really work great with only 5 people. Maybe if they were 5 werewolf veterans, but as it was, it was not a hit. More people though, I can see it being fun with.

Sunday was pretty busy, with my wife taking the older kids to the fair. We did get in two quick games before bed. A learning game of Kahuna, and a two player Bohnanza.

All in all not a bad weekend. Now I just need to get over this stomach bug so I can have a decent week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday, we played a rousing 6-player game of Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner

It ended in a tie because it was too late, and nobody wanted to play a tiebreaker round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Saturday, my cousin Matt and my friend Todd came over. Neither of them is in "la vida ludo", but both enjoy gaming and are good players. Strong potential for converts to the hobby!

We started off with a game of Tales of the Arabian Nights, and it was my favorite time playing, so far. Todd was king of the world; everything kept going his way. After several turns, he had treasures, riches, and was steadily marching up the scoring tracks. Matt, on the other hand, couldn't find a break with both hands and a map. He was insane, pursued, accursed, and finally became a cannibalistic Ghul! Then when he started again in Baghdad as his character's "brother", the quest he drew was "Wicked Siblings". I'll say! Hard to get much more wicked than eating human flesh... Good times, especially since I walked the middle path for the win.

After our two hour read-a-thon, we cooled off with a quick round of Can't Stop. Always fun. Then I introduced them to a classic gateway game: Alhambra, which Todd won in a walk. Ubongo was another good change of pace for a hectic couple of plays, both of which were won by Matt with his savant puzzling powers. We rounded out the day with one of my favorite light Euros, Expedition. This was really close, but Todd squeaked out the win.

A great day, altogether! I love introducing games that go over well, and I was stoked that everybody had a chance to feel the thrill of victory. Next week, Matt's bringing a couple of his friends over for their inaugural voyage on the Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game! I can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A busy weekend for us so our gaming suffered. We only got to play The Hanging Gardens and Carcassonne.

It was our second play of The Hanging Gardens and we really like this game. My wife beat me 107 to 97 (or something similar).

We don't play Carc often but we've started playing it again while adding the Inns and Cathedral and Traders and Builders expansions. Both are great expansions but we don't use the builder or the pigs (are we missing anything here?). I won by 2 points which I think is our closest of Carc ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feldaan
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My normal Friday night RPG group actually wanted to play RPG's this week, and the game ran late so sadly no chance of pulling out a game.

Saturday however, I bought quite a few games off of Craigslist, and took the opportunity to learn how to play one of them, Memoir '44, with my cousin. We finally stopped about six hours later after playing through the first four missions 2 times a piece. I came out on the winning side the majority of the time.

The next morning, my cousin and I continued our Memoir 44 streak, playing another few missions and then finishing up with a game of Space Hulk. Later that night, my wife and I finally unboxed and played Agricola (we bought it at GenCon) and fell in love with it, can't wait to play again tonight. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad was camping at a local campground, so we went down for dinner, and took him some early birthday games. LD, my dad and I played Archaeology: The Card Game, which he had played before, but this was his copy. I also got him No Thanks! and Qwirkle Cubes as gifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Pehr
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday night, a couple who are good friends with my daughter wanted to have a game night, asked her to bring someone else so there'd be an even number of players for whatever, she invited me. Everyone (excempt me) would be in their late '20s-late '30s. Most of the invitees couldn't make it, we ended up with three couples. I was anticipating more people, figured we'd have several groups playing different games at the same time, so the games I brought weren't really designed for six people. "Three Stooges" is a card game - very like "Lunch Money" in that you play cards to inflict damage points and the targets play defense cards - for three people. But the rules state if you do have 4-6 players just go through the deck twice. We did find a glitch in the rules, which require the next turn be taken by the last person to play a defense card; but if that player has no attack cards there's nothing he can do on his turn. Everyone picked up the rules right away, obviously enjoyed it, and it's good to know our three heroes are still remembered even by this younger generation.

Also brought a card game called "We Didn't Playtest This Game At All." You play cards, each with very odd directions or requirements, and the idea is to have the other players lose according to the directions of cards played by you or them. Rules take 10 seconds to learn, games last about a minute. Very silly, very enjoyable, eventually you'll remember each of the cards... . at which time of course the manufacturer will produce expansion packs.

Our hosts had a couple of games that we then played, the others enjoyed them more than I did. "Would You Rather" has a small board with different colored spaces and you draw a card with questions for each color - a la "Trivial Pursuit." There's a question in each case is "would you rather" do this or this, and the player whose turn it is writes down his choice, then the other players come to a consensus of which they'd rather do. There's a sandglass regulating how long they have to discuss it. If the active player's choice is same as the group's he goes again, otherwise the turn passes to next player. Some spaces are "Challenge" which has more elaborate questions or requirements (E.g. write down your answer to next question, pose it to next player, repeat until two players did agree with you, all within a turn of the sandglass); if you succeed then you move up a rung on the board. Point of the game is that all of the choices in all of the questions are embarassing. Other game they liked was "Apples to Apples." As with the "Would You Rather" I'm not fond of this because there's no strategy other than guessing what other people would guess. Sure you might have an idea why the active player would pick your card as the match to his card, but you can't know what the other players' cards are so it's a total crapshoot whether the active player likes your answer better or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday I played Ogre (basic scenario), G.E.V. ("Ceasefire Collapse"), and Battlesuit ("Scrap Iron Hill"). I played six games of Mastermind before bed.

Saturday I played two more games of Mastermind before heading out to game. I played a 4-player Car Wars Amateur Night event set at the Grand Rapids Municipal Arena. Then I played a 5-player Car Wars Amateur Night event set at the Kettering Arena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I played ZÈRTZ with the wifey. I was just about to play Endeavor, but I caught the cold my spawn had last week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We played a 3-player game of 1830 with the Coalfields expansion last night. My good friend and 18xx mentor, Daniel, ended up narrowly winning: $15,046 to $14,536 (me) to $13,225 (Jim). If Jim had gotten his tokens down one OR earlier, or if I'd bit the bullet and brought the 6-trains out one OR earlier[1], the game would have almost certainly gone the other way. It was a wonderful game: my head is still buzzing over it.

For those interested in details: I had the best share portfolio by roughly $1,000 with 16 shares of the top three share-value companies (NYC, B&M and NYNH&H), was the president of the B&M, NYC and N&H, and also had a roughly $500 cash lead. Jim directed the Erie and the B&O (with the B&O turning out to be the best company in terms of combined share-value and dividends), but his portfolio and cash positions suffered. Daniel had the C&O (which I'd dumped on him in the 3rd SR with two 2-trains and $10 left in the treasury), NHNH&H, PRR and the CanPac, and ended the game with two permanent trains in all his companies (usually a Diesel with a 5-train or 6-train). Both the C&O and the CanPac spent most of their lives in the yellow, ultimately allowing Daniel to hold 5 more shares than I did -- with those 5 shares (and their end-game lunge out of the yellow) making up the difference in our positions and more. A very impressive play by Daniel.

Coalfields is a brilliant expansion. It makes the game longer, perhaps an hour or two (we went even longer as it was our first play), but it also produces a fascinatingly different game from base 1830. It isn't just 1830 on a new map (as so many other games are), but rather has its own unique character and very different decisions and struggles. The track development struggles are different, the token struggles are different, the money centres are (partly different), the train management problems are different, the basic diesel runs are different, and even the natural company pairings are different. Coalfields turns 1830 on its ear. It is a whole new wonderful game! (And can be made on your home printer for a few pennies to boot...)

[1] This is one of my more common mistakes. If I'd brought the 6-trains out one OR earlier, I would have had to sell ~2 shares in order to buy the train. However Daniel would have had to rape most of his portfolio, nearly but not quite going bankrupt, in order to fill his companies. That would have left the game between me and Jim, with Jim having the slightly better position (more capital & slightly more shares) but with me having greater share density, flexibility and tempo control (me with 3 companies to Jim's 2 companies). However, yet again to my chagrin, I hedged on the side of comfort and cleanliness and let the slaughter opportunity pass for one OR. Doh! Doh! Doh! Bang head on wall!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk (third edition) x2 with my wife.

Also played a one-shot of Mutant City Blues.

Space Hulk continues to be amazing, and I think Trail of Cthulhu does a better job with the GUMSHOE system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night- a little backgammon, then a game of scrabble apple.
Saturday- a play through of my yard sale purchases, Star Wars: Death Star Assault Game and Star Wars: Jedi Unleashed, then after the football game a game of Things... with some of my sisters friends and then some late night Hang in There! with my dad.

Sunday, just a little more hang in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GANDON François
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough time to play this week-end ;-(
Just a short game of Domaine Saturday after lunch. And two light games with a bunch of colleagues Sunday afternoon : Can't Stop and Sushi Bar.
Hope we'll do better this week !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Johnson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few rounds of Saboteur with my parents friday night, and a few more rounds Saturday night with friends. A game of Bohnanza as well ended Saturday night. Sunday was spent learning the rules for Descent, played one beginning quest of that with crippled rules with my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Watson
United States
West Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang! The Bullet,
Electronic Catch Phrase,
Electronic Catch Phrase: Music Edition,
Ninja vs. Ninja,
Yetisburg, and
Marrakesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poltergeist_2000 wrote:

Hehe, we did a little E-Catch Phrase as well.

And my girl and I played World in War: Combined Arms 1939-1945. History mostly remained intact..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
On Friday before (and after!) D&D I played 5 games of Race For the Galaxy (RFTG) with my friend Josh. I won them all, which left him a little frustrated. devil

On Sunday I had some people over to play for a long day of games. Mike showed up early and we were able to play three games of RFTG. I went 2-1. After our games of Race, David and Will showed up in rapid succession and we played two games of Ra. I came in last both times, but at least I tied for last in the second game. Woo. After that we played a game of 1856. After the 8 trains came out, one of the players, Doug, decided that he was already out of contention so he intentionally bankrupted himself, giving the game to me.

After that Doug and Will both had to leave so David, Mike, and I played a rushed first game of Container. David ended up winning with $60 to Mike's $59, and my $56. I get the impression that normal scores for this game are much, much higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
doubtofbuddha wrote:
After that Doug and Will both had to leave so David, Mike, and I played a rushed first game of Container. David ended up winning with $60 to Mike's $59, and my $56. I get the impression that normal scores for this game are much, much higher.

They are. The total score summed across all players is typically in the ~600 range, but totals approaching 1,000 are not unheard of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With double header football on Friday night and then so much football to watch on Sunday, Saturday was the only real day to game. Yes that means I put off doing any yardwork or housework all weekend!

I decided to try and teach my 7yr old daughter New World: A Carcassonne Game, which she then promptly kicked my butt in, mainly by scoring a 28 pt city. I know now that next time I won't take her so lightly. That city was too late in the game for me to do anything about it, and the trappers I had didn't make up the difference as hers were nearly as good. Usually I rely on my trappers or farmers to pull it out for me in the end, but no dice this time.

My youngest daughter (4yrs old) was watching us play and wanted to play something too. So the girls brought out Electronic Mall Madness, the Hannah Montana version. Not much to say here except that Dad, playing Oliver, came in dead last as my 4yr old, playing Lilly, won the game easily.

After packing that game up, my youngest wanted to play something a little simpler. So out comes her Wiggles version of Memory. My 7 yr old came along and won the 1st game quite quickly. The second game was much closer, but trying to hold on to a little dignity, I managed to squeak out a win, for my first of the day.

After supper it was time to head over to some friends of our place to play some games.

I looked in their game closet and suggested we give Betrayal at House on the Hill a try. Playing the little boy, it didn't take long for the haunt to reveal itself. Just in the second round, the dice let me down and I revealed the haunt. Cannibal Freaks with the Little Boy as their leader! Despite the little girl making short work of one of my Cannibal Freaks right at the get go, I managed to corner the Victims and eat them all, with only one hero managing to survive. A victory for me!

We decided to play it one more time and this time, although I died, my team of heroes was able to defeat the witch fairly easily.

To wrap up the evening we quickly put in a game of Citadels, where my wife seemed to jump out to a good lead with lots of districts being built. However, her districts weren't much in the way of points and I managed to pull out the win by quite a few.

Lost a few games early, but more than made up for it in the end. A good day of gaming with family and friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra
Hey That's My Fish!
Ra
Ticket To Ride + 1910
Coloretto x2

Sure beats TransAmerica, Quiddler, and Parchessi. Been playing those games waaay too much at one of my groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to a big meetup on saturday got in:

BANG!
Race for the Galaxy
Dominion
Carcassonne (3 player game in which I had an amazingly awesome win of 176-175-175)
Long Shot tried this out was pretty fun.

That was about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh small
United States
Corry
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games of Chaos in the Old world Saturday night, 3 players, lost game 1 and won game 2, They were my first two games of it and its close to if not my #1 game now, just awesome amounts of strategy with extremely simple and easy to teach rules.

I cant wait to play it some more, unfortunately it will be competing for my time with Space Hulk in 2 days plus i still want to play all my other great games. Someone needs to increase days to 36 hours or make weeks 9 days long and the year 468 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night my friend's 6-yr-old son called us and asked if he could come over to play Shadows Over Camelot. It was late-ish but I never turn down a game. The Wife was watching the baby, so the three of us (my friend, his son & I) fought against the progression of evil on our own -- standard game except no traitor. The 6-yr-old was Arthur for the first time and did a pretty good job with some coaching. He can read all the cards and understand most of them, but is still not getting the whole secrecy rule 100% ("I need the 2nd-to-highest fight card" "you can't say that" "I didn't say I need a 4!").

The forces of evil didn't stand a chance, we blew them away with 8 white swords and only 5 catapults on the table, winning the armor, grail and finally excalibur quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*Cough* Chutes and Ladders *Cough*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.