Alex G

Flagstaff
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

image courtesy Erich

First Game:
(Mrs. alexd was Axis, I was Allies; right/left on both games reported from Allies POV)

I started off with a Barrage, hoping to take out the Artillery. Only one hit, so no gains there. The Axis moved down infantry from the upper right town, and fired a bit on my shoreline troops. To make a not very long story even shorter, the imprudent Allies moved up first in the left flank, then in the center, and proceeded to be blown apart in both arenas, with ineffective response due to poor navigation of the obstacles and failure to concentrate firepower. Axis moved down forces from above, protected the guns, and generally kept everything pushed back with retreats or enough damage that sticking around was a recipe for loss. Allies managed to take out one enemy unit before losing when the third armor (now loose and doing a bit of damage in the upper part of the left flank) died to a "lone infantryman."

5-1 Axis victory

image courtesy Mike Frantz

Second Game:
(We switched it up, me Axis, Mrs. alexd Allies)

This run through history the Allies moved in much more slowly, slipping around the obstacles and pulling back if wise. I duplicated the previous Axis approach of moving down my armor and infantry from the upper corners to increase the assault on the beach landers, but this time it didn't work as well, since the Allies didn't go for the "sitting ducks" strategy. Neither side had much trouble ordering the desired units until the end of the battle. The Allies in the center sat on the beach, taking the occasional one-dice attack from artillery when it was a free shot on a recon-all or a 4th move Direct From HQ, so most of the action took place on left and right flanks. Allies took the first three medals, before Axis managed to wipe out one armor. At this point, Allied infantry on the right pushed into town, and if the weakened special forces on the left could make it, the Axis was done for. Neither side had anything in hand for the left, for one set of turns. When I did get something, only Axis unit remaining on the left was the bunkered infantry, who moved out of protection to get a chance at the Brits. The special forces dodged, and a final play by Allies brought the total to:

5-1 Allied victory

Observations: Moving up the beach isn't that much fun, we both agreed. Once you're past that, the scenario becomes more interesting. Artillery didn't seem as important as we'd expected it to be. Only our 4th and 5th games... This scenario seems fairly balanced (unless you let me play one of the sides, which seems to unbalance anything -- I managed a pretty one-sided Allied loss on Pegasus Bridge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.