Star Trek: The Adventure Game» Forums » General

Subject: Why should I allow a commissioner on my ship? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
More games than sense.

Florida
msg tools
mb
For over a year my friend has goaded me with this game. "Oh, we should play Star Trek... oh, but you should see every single episode of the original series in order, again, some more, before we play it." In the end I waited a year to play this game! And I liked it! And I want to play it again, it's fun!

BUT: What the heck is the deal with the commissioners?
Converting a planet doesn't get you political points.
Even if you do convert a planet, none of them are of AA status, so you can't use them to repair dilithium crystals.
Having a commissioner on your ship means your opponent gets to make decisions for you.

Why bother with them at all? Is there just something I was missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm pretty sure you do get points for converting planets with commissioners.

That being said, when I played the game (as a teenager) it seemed pretty clear that the Federation player should have the Enterprise go around and do the exploring, carrying all the officers except one of the redundant ones (Sulu or Chekhov), put the commissioners on the other ships, and have them trail the Enterprise. The Klingon player wants to do something similar with the agents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Even better, have Commissioners/Agents trail *both* dedicated Exploring ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
More games than sense.

Florida
msg tools
mb
I will read the rules again, but on Sunday I could not find anything that gave points for converting planets. Does anyone have access to a rule book now that can double check and tell me where to find it?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Section 11 of the rules states that the players get political points when a planet becomes a Federation member or Klingon satellite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't want Commissioners on the same ship with Kirk, Spock or your other key guys. And while you can explore with a ship that has a Commissioner, you don't want to.

Instead, send them on a followup ship to land on likely planets that your primary guys have previously explored. Then they can use their diplomatic skills to bring those planets into the Federation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
More games than sense.

Florida
msg tools
mb
tool wrote:
Section 11 of the rules states that the players get political points when a planet becomes a Federation member or Klingon satellite.

Thanks so much! I have no idea why I kept missing this when I looked at the rules.

My instinct, shortly into my first game, was to do just what you suggested -- explore with the Enterprise, then follow with back ups. Of course, learning as I went, it wasn't until I already had Ferris on the Enterprise that I realized what a nightmare he was about to cause me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.