Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian White
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few plays, one question has surfaced. Some of the Shadow and Peril cards have text along the lines of "Hero may either lose N favor or choose the following nasty option." Is the hero allowed to choose the lose favor option if they have less than N favor?

So, far I have been judging: no, if you have insufficient favor, you have to choose the other option. What made me doubt this, however, is the similar situation in BSG when discarding cards. There, you are allowed to choose an option that you can't fulfill unless the card explicitly prevents it (e.g., the one where you can't discard a nuke unless you have one left).

What are people's opinions on this matter?

Perhaps this is covered in the rules, but after looking through multiple times I haven't been able to find it. And, I haven't seen it covered on BGG (after searching). If it has, then please point me to the relevant location.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ManchotPi wrote:
After a few plays, one question has surfaced. Some of the Shadow and Peril cards have text along the lines of "Hero may either lose N favor or choose the following nasty option." Is the hero allowed to choose the lose favor option if they have less than N favor?

So, far I have been judging: no, if you have insufficient favor, you have to choose the other option.

No official word. This ain't BSG though, so unless specifically allowed, if you can't fulfill option A, must take option B. That's how we play anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

So, far I have been judging: no, if you have insufficient favor, you have to choose the other option. What made me doubt this, however, is the similar situation in BSG when discarding cards. There, you are allowed to choose an option that you can't fulfill unless the card explicitly prevents it (e.g., the one where you can't discard a nuke unless you have one left).

Sounds like Thálin is a Cylon to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian White
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thinwhiteduke wrote:

Could be. After all, Tolkien is a little hazy on dwarf reproduction. A conspiracy theory is starting to take shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the books, Sauron was in possession of the remaining three rings of the Seven, and he offered to return them to the dwarves in exchange for their assistance in recovering Bilbo's ring. I eagerly await an expansion that allows Sauron to corrupt Thálin in this manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
In the books, Sauron was in possession of the remaining three rings of the Seven, and he offered to return them to the dwarves in exchange for their assistance in recovering Bilbo's ring. I eagerly await an expansion that allows Sauron to corrupt Thálin in this manner.

OT: I was thinking during the game about expansions. Being a Middle-earth groupie, I thought it might be an idea to add something that gives the Hero something to "encounter" (would need a new step/keyword and rules) at permanently Perilous locations. Like the Meccg added Under-deeps, maybe those could have a deck for themselves, one that if you choose to draw from, would result in certain combat + nice reward IF you win the combat. Wouldn't mind getting boosts for Minions as well, maybe if they survive and/or defeat a Hero in combat, upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
ManchotPi wrote:
thinwhiteduke wrote:

Could be. After all, Tolkien is a little hazy on dwarf reproduction. A conspiracy theory is starting to take shape.

It's the beards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.