Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G. Parker
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thumbing through some of the posts for Steel Wolves and found info on the SPX expansion for Silent War. Any word if this is still in progress?

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?7@882.d96qab3VfGG.31@.1dd0f...

The Single Patrol eXpansion kit is an add-on product to Silent War. It expands the patrol game into a more detailed experience by providing more detailed control over loadout, submarine operations, key crew, and combat resolution. The principle displays portray a cutaway of two classes of Submarine, a Gato, and an Early S class (S3, such as the S-44 of Dinty Moore fame) on which operations are managed. Moreover, there is an enhanced submarine centric rosetta (relative position) display which acts as a TDC/game-play aid such that the angle and approach of a submarine, and the choice of the number of torpedoes fired at one or more targets can be calculated and resolved.

Although the SPX is intended to enhance the Patrol Game, for some diehards (and we have quite a few) the combat portion of the game can be used to resolve some of the more interesting situations that might arise in a campaign game. Although I wouldn't recommend it, I suspect we might even have somebody or two who might try to do an entire campaign with it. If it proves to be a success (sales wise), we will probably provide an SPX for Steel Wolves, mostly likely using a Type VII and Type IX.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Miller
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unhappily, the SPX did not receive as much interest as anticipated and thus it was pushed back behind Steel Wolves. Once StW is released we will reassess interest and modify plans as appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's disappointing.

Personally, I'm about 1,000x more interested in something like SPX than Steel Wolves. (I hope that game is successful, but there's practically no chance of me buying it.)

I hope SPX doesn't completely fall off the radar. Er, sonar. Or ASDIC. Hell, dradis, whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Parker
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update definitely hope to see it someday...and yes I'd be crazy enough to try an entire campaign using SPX.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Miller
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On the upside, one of the steps we took was to ensure that the SPX mechanisms would be compatible with Steel Wolves. StW introduces a deeper layer of detail in operations in order to 1) appropriately capture the command capabilities of BdU and 2) accurately portray the very different convoy system used in the Atlantic. To do so, very carefully calculated tweeks have been made to the underlying Silent War system which keep it true to the governing paradigms while providing a richer layer of simulation; an example is the “crash dive” mechanism which can be backfitted to Silent War (almost all US subs have a rating of zero (0) or 10%); another is a more precisely balanced “Tactical” exposure rating (which also backfits- but which is compatible from the algorithm point-of-view (a few boats add 1 to the tac rating). It would not make sense to do SPX, with all the complex hooks into the main game it requires but not make it compatible to both titles.

The major challenge with SPX is converting the algorithmically derived combat display, a display which is based on sequencing intensity across the four columns, into a more realistic relative bearing style approach. This was the developmental “sticky wicket” so to speak. With Steel Wolves, we introduce symmetrical convoy columns that places the intensity towards the center. This is a step towards relative bearing and should aid in finalizing the approach used in SPX.

All that being said, it is an economically driven world. We polled for demand on three occasions, two openly, one by random selection of Silent War users, and found that the demand for Steel Wolves vastly outweighs SPX on an order of something like 35:1. We do anticipate that once Steel Wolves is available then the demand for an SPX title that handles both will increase significantly. This is the logic behind sequencing the projects this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brien J Miller wrote:
Unhappily, the SPX did not receive as much interest as anticipated and thus it was pushed back behind Steel Wolves.

I hope SPX project will be pushed back behind Kaiser Coffins. This is the game I'm really waiting for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Miller
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The World War I version of the game is a whole separate beast due to a massive scale change and a change of model paradigm in which the vast preponderance of attacks are made on the surface. Additionally, the ASW countermeasures of 1914-1919 are quite different from those modeled in Silent War and Steel Wolves; in short, ASW on the scale of the WWII sims is simply is non-existent. What this means is that the World War I version of the game is not in the production line with Steel Wolves or SPX; it is a wholly new design effort which actually puts it in the production sequence with Order of Arms, Engage & Destroy, the strategic WWII air game, and the new naval campaign system being storyboarded as we speak. We are also considering doing a version of the British WWII Submarine campaign in the Med, but it too is a major divergence from the basic system due to scale. The next four years will be busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brien J Miller wrote:
the World War I version of the game is not in the production line with Steel Wolves or SPX

Good news! I was afraid the SPX project could delay Kaiser Coffins. Now I'll wait patiently, keeping my fingers crossed... even four years!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.