Dream Factory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do parties force you to reveal your screenplays? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that your incomplete screenplays are hidden. (Technically speaking, the rules don't require you to reveal a completed screenplay...but I assume you have to do that.) The rules also say that the player order in party spaces is determined by the total number of actor and guest-star chips you have on both complete and incomplete screenplays. So, when you get to a party space, is everybody supposed to reveal all of their screenplays so you can determine who gets to go first? And if so, do all the incomplete screenplays get hidden again afterward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dippel
United States
Merrick
NY
flag msg tools
Commentary! The OverText
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of this game, and I don't see anywhere in the rules where it states that incomplete screenplays are kept hidden, so the number of stars and guest stars each studio possesses is public knowledge. The studio screens are designed to hide the number of contracts you have, not your screenplays.

Also, we play with a house rule that you only total the number of red tiles on INCOMPLETE screenplays count toward the party. I've played this game a hundred times and it makes for a much more enjoyable game. It adds some tension in whether or not you want to complete your film, because if you do, then the stars won't help you at the party. Also, it helps do away with the runaway leader problem if someone gets a ton of actors and guest stars early in the game. I highly recommend trying this rule out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played my German version, Traumfabrik, and we have never played with anything hidden, and I don't remember ever seeing anything in the rules about doing so.

Hiding you incomplete screenplays would remove a lot of the strategy from the game, as you wouldn't be able to force a player who really needs a chip to bid higher. Also, as the starting movies are set, after a few plays, people would remember what others need anyway.

Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
I've only played my German version, Traumfabrik, and we have never played with anything hidden, and I don't remember ever seeing anything in the rules about doing so.

cdippel71 wrote:
I'm a big fan of this game, and I don't see anywhere in the rules where it states that incomplete screenplays are kept hidden, so the number of stars and guest stars each studio possesses is public knowledge. The studio screens are designed to hide the number of contracts you have, not your screenplays.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. The rules do indeed say that the studio screens are meant to hide your contracts, not your screenplays.

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Weage
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
cdippel71 wrote:

Also, we play with a house rule that you only total the number of red tiles on INCOMPLETE screenplays...

I played Traumfabrik precisely once. The person who brought the game to a gaming evening was the only player familiar with the game at all, explained the rules, never mentioned the importance of actors to the parties until we got to the first one, and by then he had a majority of the actors and used the parties to continue to hold onto it to the end of the game - which, no surprise, he won.

I never saw it played again, which I attribute to the fact that I hated the experience, as apparently did most of the other novice players. I did, during the session, suspect that we might be playing this wrong. It seemed so unlike Knizia to allow actors on completed movies to be counted. Usually he provides tough decisions of precisely this kind - do I complete the movie and no longer count the actors, or do I delay to keep them active? Counting only actors on incomplete movies seemed like so obvious a "Knizia-ism" that I was surprised to read through the German rules and find that we had played this correctly and you do count all of them.

Is the above expressed house rule in common usage? Does anyone know how Knizia planned this to work - was it supposed to be as in the house rule but the original German publisher messed up the rules and he decided it was better not to muddy the waters and confuse people with coected rules or original intent? Or perhaps the game plays just fine as long as everyone knows the importance of the total actors from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the first time I've ever heard of such a house rule, Brad. I could see where it might work, although it would greatly reduce the importance of going after actors and make them much like any other tile in the game. But as far as I'm concerned, the game works beautifully with the rules in the box.

You really might consider trying the game again, only this time without the A-hole game explainer who decided that winning was more important than everyone having a good time. Traumfabrik is not only a very good design, it's also a lot of fun to play. One of Knizia's better games and perhaps his best job of tying in the theme to the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dippel
United States
Merrick
NY
flag msg tools
Commentary! The OverText
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I could see where it might work, although it would greatly reduce the importance of going after actors and make them much like any other tile in the game.

If anything, it actually makes the actors more important because you always need more. If you are finishing a screenplay, you'd better have actors on your remaining screenplays or you're going to get shafted at the party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.