Subject: What Counts as Uncovering the Conspiracy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A number of mechanics refer to something that happens when someone uncovers the conspiracy. Now, the rulebook has a section "Uncovering the Conspiracy" that refers to Digging Deeper and Revealing Information. However, some cards with this trigger only seem to make sense when playing a piece and not when, say, Digging Deeper. So, what counts for this trigger?

Also, is it possible to Uncover the Conspiracy when all the puzzle pieces have been played? I recently had a game where if I could have played a card to rotate a piece while uncovering the conspiracy, I could have cost another player 10 points while still keeping that tile connected to the center. We debated and decided that no, it was not possible to do so once all the pieces are gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not an official answer but I used to interpret "uncovering the conspiracy" as placing a puzzle piece. If all puzzle pieces are placed, no more "uncovering" effects work.

But the rule book states this is "revealing information" or something like that and both it and "digging deeper" are under "uncovering the conspiracy." So i would say based on that, digging deeper coutns and triggers the effect. But again, if no pieces are available, those effects won't come about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Not an official answer but I used to interpret "uncovering the conspiracy" as placing a puzzle piece. If all puzzle pieces are placed, no more "uncovering" effects work.

But the rule book states this is "revealing information" or something like that and both it and "digging deeper" are under "uncovering the conspiracy." So i would say based on that, digging deeper coutns and triggers the effect. But again, if no pieces are available, those effects won't come about.

I'd interpret it the same way--"uncovering the conspiracy" allows a player to take one of two sub-actions - either reveal info or dig deeper (in actual action terms, either flipping and placing a puzzle piece, or moving one's character token to the next stack in the queue.)

In terms of cards that only make sense when revealing info, I would say, well yes, exactly - thematically think of it as, revealing information about the conspiracy brings it to the light of day, whereas digging deeper means your investigation is just continuing down a darker, harder to get to path.

As to being allowed to uncover the conspiracy when there are no pieces left, my opinion is by no means official, but I would make a strong argument for NO, regardless of the cards you have in hand--it makes no sense, either thematically or mechanically: what exactly is there left to uncover? The fact that you had a card in hand that allowed you to rotate a piece was simply bad luck - a card drawn a turn too late. I always seem to have the same thing happen to me in games like this... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.