Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten into the hobby about two months ago and have a decent little collection of games that have been growing rapidly. Some games I have liked more than others, but have enjoyed all of them. Till now... Unfortunately, Small World is the first game that has dissapointed me so far; at least after two plays.

My girlfriend and I have played the game twice now and have been completely underwhelmed. There has not been anything exciting or even remotely fun about the game. Maybe it's too easy. The rules were taught very quickly and we just play straight to the end without emotion. I don't know how to explain why this game is so dull. We both enjoy poking fun of each other while playing games and getting "into" the games we play, but this has fallen flat. For a game with so much visual appeal and hype it just doesn't do anything for us. I think the idea for the game is great and even the mechanics are pretty cool. It's just not exciting. Hopefully this will change after a couple more plays or with more people.

Anyone else feel like this about Small World or felt like this for the first couple of plays and have changed their mind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It is playable with 2 but better with more. You should try it with more players before passing final judgement.

But after that, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Not every game is for every player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is useless with just 2. You need at least 3 and realistically 4 or 5. I played one 2-player with my wife and we both hated it. Then I played a 5-player and realized how cool it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Listen to Brian and Steve. This game is best with 4 or 5. After one or two 4p or 5p games you still don't like it then it's confirmed - you're weird,,,,,I mean it's not for you.

Then, just put it up on the trade block and I'm sure you can get something that will meet your approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I wouldn't say 2-player is "useless." it was good teaching game and my wife likes the game as a 2-player game. But she might share my opinion if we play it too many more times as a 2-player game and see it can grow very stale very quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolff
United States
poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is great for 2 players. Now, I know a lot of folks who think the more players the better for this game, and you guys just might fall in that category. I'd say try it with more and see if you still don't like it. But we play it 2-player a lot and it's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like it with 2, but it is a dramatically different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I have played this game more with 2 than with 3,4 or 5.

When I did play it with 3, I was still not very enthused by it. I did play it once with 4, still made no great impression. However, with more players, it was a bit more fun.

If I were given a second chance to buy it or not to buy it, I would not buy it. So, according to Jeff, I must be weird laugh

Seriously, it does come down to whether one likes it or not. I do not dislike it, it just does not suit me....simple really. Might take it out and play it if asked to ....at least it is there whistle

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it will be better with more. I'm just not sure it will be that much more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a great 2 player game - my girlfriend and I played it 2 player quite a few times, but it doesn't really generate that much fun, and now we allways wait for 3+ to play it.
In fact, i only suggest it when we have 4+
I still think it's a great game though .. the more people, the more fun it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the game is underwhelming with 2. Yet I've not had much like with 3 either. Everybody else enjoys the game, but I'm not a big fan. In my opinion there are better area control, direct conflict games available. This one just happens to be the most popular.

~ Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone recommend a game like Small World(Not Vinci!) that may be more tense? Two player is a plus, but not needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is weird is that the 2-player game has the most recommendations on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brute Man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I got the game for Christmas and have played it four or five times, and we enjoy the 2 player game. Already have a few "colorful" names for some of the races and various combos, the one involving the elves is especially non-repeatable whistle I'd definitely like to try it with more players, but it's pretty fun for what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this game once, and it was a 5-player game, and I really didn't like it too much. It was just a lot of zerging across the board, and the person who had played the most knew the best combos and destroyed us. It is possible the game is just not for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petteri Kamppuri
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife and I were both disappointed after just a few rounds of playing the game (only us two playing). It didn't seem to have any exciting decisions to make.

I really wanted to like this game. Everything I read about the game was so cool: casual fantasy war, different armies/races, random abilities, quick and easy gameplay, ability to come back to the board with a new army.

Then the actual game: just a few measly pieces to throw at the board. Not many interesting choices, just placing the tiles somewhere. Attacking didn't feel like anything.

I guess we must try with 4 players, but the 2-player game was so boring I have a hard time imagining more players will substantially improve the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would advise against playing any multiplayer direct conflict game (i.e, war-like game) with only two players - they never work. With two players, only play such games that are specifically designed for two (and only two) players, otherwise they fall flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-LĂ©gier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like SW in all its forms.
The number of players generate different dynamics (e.g. Sorcerers are less usefull with few players, Diplomats are very powerfulls with few players, etc.).
I like to adapt to such differences.
Of course, multiplayer adds a lot of fun, with higher interaction - not only in the game, but round the table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.