United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at my local Meijer (a rust-belt supermarket chain) today, and happened to notice these new games on the shelf: All In and Blackout.

Check this out, the box is actually a folding dice tower. Nice! I'll take a compact, folding dice tower for 7 bucks! I picked up one of each. Who knows, maybe the games that come with them might be entertaining as well.

I thought you guys might like to know about them. So be on the lookout at your local stores if you're interested in these towers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, but how many dice can you roll at once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Cool, but how many dice can you roll at once?
The picture on the back shows seven dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone seen these at Wal-Mart? That's the only big chain we've got in town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally had a chance to open these up after feeding the kids some dinner. Upon opening, I was a little concerned that the baffles were not large enough to generate decent randomness. But after some testing of trying to "cheat" and roll a particular number, I'm convinced that the baffles do a good enough job.

My only annoyance is that, as you can see in the following picture, there are two holes in the top of the tower. The "front" one holds the game components, although it also has a hole in the bottom (with no baffles on the way down). The "back" hole is the one that's actually used for rolling. So with a multiple dice, some of them may drop down the wrong hole if you're not careful. Though it'll still bounce when it hits the ground, and possibly hit the other dice on the way out, so I don't think this will be too much of an issue. People who are annoyed by it can stuff an object into the front hole to block it.

As expected, the games themselves are uninteresting random luck junk with zero strategy, so no bonus there. I do like the quality of the tower though. The plastic is sturdy, and the folding snap seals tightly so it'll be nice and convenient to carry game components inside for easy transport. The rolling slot hole is large enough to accomodate standard d20s, so they should be plenty big enough for most (if not all) of my gaming purposes.

Overall I'm glad I got them, especially for 7 bucks. Now I have to work on taking the stickers off so I can add some custom decorations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Anyone seen these at Wal-Mart? That's the only big chain we've got in town.

Not me at our little Wal-Mart. I made a special trip to check. But I got a gallon of chocolate milk. Mmmmmm! Chocolate milk! *drool*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the open sides at the far end? Don't the dice tend to slide off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
What about the open sides at the far end? Don't the dice tend to slide off?

With a couple of dice they don't. But I tried a handful of dice (about 8-10 different polys) and yes, with more than a couple of dice, a couple of them land just off the side of the track on the table. No big deal to me, since my main goal with a tower is to keep them from flinging all over the place. But I can see how that might bother some folks I guess.

EDIT: By the way, in reference to my earlier concern about some of the dice falling down the wrong hole ... it's not an issue. I was rolling big handfuls of dice, and never had one go down the front slot. I wasn't being particularly cautious either. But like I said before, even if some do go down that way, they'll still be random enough once they hit the bottom and bang around with the other dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Or alternately you can make your own inexpensive folding dice tower

BGG user Cadrian even called it in the thread to that pic -
Quote:
I suppose a clever person might invent a game where the box/dice tower was integral to play, and all components fit in the box when it is put away?

No more useless packing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
millercv wrote:

But you'd have to smoke all those cigars! laugh

Amazon.com sells these games for $10. Boo!

No luck with Boards and Bits, Walmart.com, or Borders.com either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the dice any good for restickering for pnp games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
millercv wrote:

But you'd have to smoke all those cigars! laugh

If no one wants the Macanudos, I'll take em. Although I prefer a Saint Louis Rey or an Old School

Great find on the plastic dice towers. Will have to be on the lookout for these to add to my Heroscape collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:

No. They're embossed, so stickers wouldn't stick to them very well. They're also smaller than standard the standard d6.

Another good piece of news for anyone snagging these is that the stickers come off very easily -- though I left the landing tray sticker on, since it has no logo on it.

TIP: Don't carefully and slowly work at the stickers. I did this at first and got frustrated, so I pulled quicker, and they came off much better than when I was pulling slowly. Weird, because usually the opposite is the case with stickers. Anyway, any small areas of goop that remain on the plastic can be solved with the WD-40 trick. Just spray a small amount of WD-40 on a paper towl and rub the goop. It will immediately come off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:

I see someone else is thinking of RttA:tBA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Midwest folks, Meijers has them. I meant to put something up, having just seen them but I forgot so glad someone put them up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now I have to work on taking the stickers off so I can add some custom decorations.

Whenever I have to remove any stuck on labels I use a hand held hair dryer. Just hold the dryer close enough to warm the label, and it should pull away without too much trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feldaan
United States
Urbana
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this! Went out and grabbed one on my lunch as I needed a dice tower for my newly acquired Memoir '44. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb

If anyone can find some in the UK I'd be very interested. The "chips" in the first game look like they might come in handy for something too...

edit
Actually it seems that Fundex makes a lot of games with handy components!

http://www.fundexgames.com/products.php?categoryId=6

Shake seems to have a cool little dice tray and a couple of others have nice dice caddies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thats awesome.
Thanks for sharing.

Are they as loud as one would expect plastic to be?

How do you pronounce the store name?
I am guessing meh-jee-ur or muh-heer(rhymes with beer)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it's "My-urr"...

It's more expensive than Wal-mart, but it's the only place I've found Turkish Delight in Lexington, and they sponsor Andretti-Green Racing drivers, so I can't complain too much.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
josephc4 wrote:
Are they as loud as one would expect plastic to be?

How do you pronounce the store name?
I am guessing meh-jee-ur or muh-heer(rhymes with beer)?

It's "MY-ur"

The towers aren't as loud as I expected, but that's mainly because they're short. There are only two baffles, and I would estimate (without having it in front of me now) that it's 5 or 6 inches in height. Just tall enough to effectively randomize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ok, ...so its like the "Meyer" in Oscar Meyer weiners?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
josephc4 wrote:
Ok, ...so its like the "Meyer" in Oscar Meyer weiners?

Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Crutchfield
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are a great find. I picked up a few from the clearance aisle at a local toy store. I made a template for the stickered areas, which I used to resticker my toys. Here's the template I made in PNG format. It's sized for an 8.5x11 page. Add your own graphics with whatever program you use, print on a sticker page, and you're off to the races. In my case, I printed on HP glossy presentation paper and used Elmer's spray-on craft glue to stick them to the toy. I'll post the finished picture of the tower shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i made a dice tower with foam board and stick pins and (with or without?) glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.