Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Lightning claws my behind! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so in the box art powersword has cool electric effects..so does thunderhammer?!

Yet everywhere I have seen even in promo pictures the "lightning" claws marine is painted with normal metal claws much like wolverine?!

now...hmmm...how do I put this...even the fluff talks about them being electric so I am thinking lightsaber type substance?! (it could also be that they are normal metal claws that are just electrified and you only see sparks when they touch opponents? or walls?)

And how do you paint them?!

Has anyone ever painted star wars lightsaber minis and could tell me how to do that "electrical" light sword type glow effect with paint?! or is it just impossible?!

I think even though I would like to paint them as fluff says (not blue and yellow like for example someone suggested ..come on blood angels are red!)

but ...yeah I guess I am not that good...or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Orange ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian arkins
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some really sharp (Excuse the pun) models with a darker shade at the base of the blade, then slowly getting lighter up to the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Bedlam
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
Fluorescent paints are often good for getting that eye-grabbing color down for lightsabers. Alternatively, I sometimes used stretched clear colored sprue to make lightsabers -- you can find styrene plastic swizzle sticks in lots of colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Medeiros
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vhirvela wrote:
Has anyone ever painted star wars lightsaber minis and could tell me how to do that "electrical" light sword type glow effect with paint?! or is it just impossible?!

I don't know about creating the lightning effect in paint; I think expert painters might be able to create a passable effect, but not me.

Here's an idea, which would also require expert skills, but more in the modeling side of things:
-make a mold of the lightning claw marine's hands.
-cast the hands in a transparent material, like two-part resin.
-drill a hole and insert LED lights (perhaps wired to a small battery in the base?) into the hands, replace plastic hands with these.
-then paint back over the rest of the hands. This would leave some lightsaber-y claws protruding. Maybe mix some blue food dye in the resin.
-For the really advanced, paint metal back over the claws, leaving 'lightning arcs' shining through.

I bet there are people who are into Space Hulk enough to do this, and have the skill and patience for it. Maybe it's already been done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Poor fellow will look like Obi (Star WarsL laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lightning Claws and Thunder Hammer are essentially Super Tazers. Metal with electricity running through and arching off.

For effect you can go two ways.

1: Paint them a very light blue and white for a charged electric look. If you are so skilled, paint electricy squiggly lines on the claws.

2: Paint them metal. Then use a very thin wire and paint that electric blue and arrange it on and around the claws as desired. Very tricky to attatch, and not really conductive of handling roughly. But the look can be very nice indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
shade a bright silver with blue washes. I'll be doing this in my painting guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.