Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to write a very brief review so that others could enjoy this little game as much as we have. The key thing here is to understand that it's a simple little game, but with a few competing strategies, and a huge fun factor.

Board - nicely done with lovely artwork, representing the Temple of Chac - a ruined Mayan type temple a la Indiana Jones in his very first outing. The board has a winding corridor, along which rolls a boulder. Four areas to be traversed - Main temple room with glyphs and crushing walls, Lava room with unstable floor tiles, Underground river, and Shaky bridge shortcut across chasm.

Rules & Gameplay - well written and clear. One set of 5 dice are rolled and determine the number of actions for all adventurers. As adventurers get weighed down by treasure, their "load level" increases. Each die that is rolled equal to or higher than a particular adventurer's load level (0-3 treasures=LL2, 4-6=LL3 etc) gives that adventurer one action. Actions consist of moving (one space), searching for treasure (drawing a treasure card for that area), or performing an area's specific action (studying a glyph, escaping the river). The glyphs in the first area give a clue to which tiles are unstable and will break in the lava room.

After the adventurers complete their turns, the crushing walls may move in the first room (determined by drawing cards from a deck), and then the boulder may move (rolling 1 die turn one, 2 dice turn two, 3 dice turn three etc - until reaching maximum of 5 dice - and moving on a roll of 3 or higher). If the boulder reaches the exit before the adventurers do, they are sealed inside - forever!! (And lose!)

To add some additional flavour to the adventurers, each one has a little backstory, and a special ability like lock-picking, sprinting, glyph linguistics, swimming or leaping that can be used once/game. Because the Temple is fairly deadly, each adventurer has a back-up "partner" that can enter if the first dies - and once the boulder breaks a supporting pillar in the lava room creating an opening in the ceiling.

Summary - a great game to introduce newer gamers to gaming, or for experienced gamers to sit back & just enjoy. Much more fun than might be expected from its simple dice rolling mechanics. This is partly due to the great atmosphere, and partly because a player can choose various strategies to mitigate the luck.

Highly recommended!
I gave it a 10/10 (for achieving exactly what it tries to do).
Much more satisfying than the similar and simpler "Incan Gold".
Actually, I should dock it a point for some limited re-playability - it is fairly simple after all - but I left it at 10 partly to balance the grossly unfair rating of 1 that someone else gave it!

PS - The optional set of painted mini's really adds to the atmosphere - though purists can certainly paint the grey plastic ones included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

OK: on my Wish List
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frederic Henry
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HI. You have absolutly understood the spirit of the game. A gate/bridge beetween non players and players.
Lot of thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fun. I play all kinds of game (usually stuff like Fury of Dracula or Arkham Horror), but I am always on the lookout for lighter games that I can crack out at Christmas when my parents / brothers are around (to save me from Monopoly).

My parents have got on well with Wooly Bully, Drakon, and Cluedo (to name three). They can't handle having too many options in a single turn, and they struggle if there are exceptions to the standard order of a turn.

My question: is this something they might be able to get on board with?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suitable for beginning gamers - yes !
Absolutely. Complexity no more difficult than Cluedo - and game plays faster with less downtime.

Only suggestion might be to play without the adventurers "special abilities" the first time. Makes it even simpler, and less to explain to get going. Easy to add in the 2nd or 3rd go round.

And I almost guarantee they'll want to play it again in the same sitting. It's that much fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the replayability? Since it's always the same Temple...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replayability
Agreed - may be limited a bit. Various treasure collecting strategies can be tried, and different routes through the temple are available. Also, I would advise players to avoid scrutinizing the glyph tiles between games.

I played it 6-7 times within a week or two after getting it at GenCon. Not bored of it yet - though part of the fun was introducing new players to it. My friend's 8, 10 and 12 yr old kids seem to love it too so far.

It's a fun gateway game... not a serious game to lie awake dreaming up new strategies! And - I wonder if Frederic Henri has some ideas for expansions up his sleeve???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Well, as long as it is OK for two players: I will buy Hold on, it is on my pre-order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A shame. This seemed like a lot of potential fun, great theme, great art/bits... but in the end I'm getting the impression that I'd be just as well off playing Fireball Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Warren
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fireball Island is sweet!! This sounds like a gamble to me though... with so many quality games coming out. Going to need to read the rules I suppose. Nice brief review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Warren
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Read the rules, and I had to play it. I went to the game store and came home and ran through it by myself then with my girlfriend. Fantastic game, I had my doubts but overall its simply entertaining. Its really a fun struggle between grabbing more treasure and getting out alive, I recommend it if you can get past the $50 price tag. It made my heart race laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. Gotta thumb ya just for Fizzgig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Warren
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Heh. Gotta thumb ya just for Fizzgig.

Gotta thumb ya just for being cool!! Thanks :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.