Subject: Custom Mission: Pressure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Space_Hulk_Mission [+] [View All]
Oliver S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I created a small custom mission with the help of the great Space Hulk 3E Tileset Map Editor by CRasterImage which can be found here and I'd like to share it with you.

I don't know if the mission is balanced since I have only played a few games of Space Hulk so far and have not playtested this mission yet (want to play all regular missions first)... so suggestions are very welcome!

Here's the map layout

The Space Marines have to get to room A, grab an object (a transmitter or something) thats marked with the circle. This object has to be brought to room B, where the Space Marine has to deactivate the object at the interface. This costs 2 APs and succeeds at 2+ on a D6. After that, the marine carrying the object has to leave the map at the end of corridor C.
The team consists of the sergeant with power sword, the heavy flamer and 3 basic marines.

The Genestealer gets 2 blips on each turn. After the Space Marines have picked up the object, the Genestealer gets 4 blips each turn until the object has been deactivated in room B.
Additionally, the Genestealer spawns the Broodlord at the circle in room A in his second turn after the Marines have deactived the object.

So the Marine player wins, if he/she manages to get the object out of the map at point C. The Genestealer wins, if he/she kills them all.

The basic idea is that the Marines have to get control over the rooms in the middle of the map and defend them while one Marine gets the objectives done. Then that Marine escapes from the Broodlord while the other Marines try to slow him down. Or something like this

So feel free to comment and criticise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very very cool!

The map layout looks fantastic, wouldn't change a thing. I'm not sure about boosting the genestealers to 4 blips in one turn... maybe just 3? That will have to be playtested of course.

Looks like a community mission book is shaping up quite nicely...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, although maybe too hard for the marines? Maybe not... I'm still pretty inexperienced with the game...

Cool thing about this game is missions don't have to be 100% balanced as you can play both sides and see how does better. Sometimes it's fun to go against more difficult odds too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,

I thought that it might be a little bit too easy for the marines to defend the rooms, so I increased the blips for the genestealers. In this way they can attack from all directions. But the best way to find out is just playing it, I guess . Maybe I can test this mission the next time we play.

I forgot to mention, that the Broodlord spawns at the circle in room A, I will edit this into the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
My gut reaction is that the marines don't stand a chance. The genestealers get to come from too many sides and there aren't enough long choke corridors for the marines to get some ability to seize control of any area long enough for a marine to preform the necessary actions. No matter which side the marines choose to defend first, the genestealer player lurks for a turn or two while flanking them with additional forces. In short, the game is about the power of ranged fire vs. close combat. It just seems to me that this map makes it too easy to get into close combat without much opportunity for ranged fire. I'm not trying to be harsh. I love fan-made scenarios and I hope this helps.

I also think the map would be more interesting if it was less symmetrical and, therefore, presented different problems depending on which sides the genestealers choose to focus on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See how the right side has 4 spawn points? Maybe knock out the 2 "interior" spawn points, remove the broodlord from the map entirely, and keep it to 2 genestealer blips for the entire map. Should work out me thinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks for your feedback. I updated the map and made the routes longer for the genestealers and shorter for the marines. I also made the map asymmetrical at the spawnpoints.

If it's still too hard, maybe one basic Marine could be replaced by the Librarian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Kubera
Poland
flag msg tools
Nah... Librarian is too powerful for this mission. If you use the force barrier psychic power wisely, you basicly don't have to worry about the 3 spawning points to the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Brood Lord and increased blip spawning in the mission makes it super hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, personally, the biggest "issue" with all of the maps people have made so far is a desire to stick it to the marines

All the missions seem to have pretty big maps but only small squads. A small squad combined with the massive number of crossroads and corners in this map means a good genestealer player will ensure you never even pick up the object. Dead men walking, I reckon.

I like the layout, and I enjoy seeing all the "fan" maps, but I think this one might be too tough.

Of course, the best thing to do is crack her out and see how she plays.

Nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
I think, personally, the biggest "issue" with all of the maps people have made so far is a desire to stick it to the marines

Pretty much. Big levels look so cool even though they are super hard for the marine to play. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Kubera
Poland
flag msg tools
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

My new map is going to change the trend and turn tables just a little bit. I hope it will be fun to play Watch out for "Hunters hunted" mission soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliver, will you make a pdf file for your mission ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I playtested this map as the marines and you're right: It's hard!
The beginning was no problem, i could enter the room in the middle very fast with one marine and cover the entrance on the left. My flamer made his way to the objectives (he should be able to clear his way in the end).
The biggest problem was the topmost connection of the two long corricors on the bottom.
Also the amount of blips on the map was crazy

In the end I was overrun, because two guns jammed with no CP left. Additionally, one single genestealer survived being flamed TWICE zombie

Here's the new version of the map.

The connection mentioned above is removed. This should make defending the rooms a lot easier.
The additional blips per turn are too much. So only 2 per turn, the whole game. Can't say much about the broodlord. Perhaps after next game (if he appears this time )

edit: @powerwis: Sure, but this has to wait until tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliver,

did you had the time to make a pdf file for this mission ?

thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind, I will playtest the revised version before releasing a pdf (hopefully today). I thought this would be earlier, but a pdf will come for sure I just want to make sure, that the map is balanced at least somehow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oliwa wrote:
If you don't mind, I will playtest the revised version before releasing a pdf (hopefully today). I thought this would be earlier, but a pdf will come for sure I just want to make sure, that the map is balanced at least somehow

good idea !
many thanks !

just wanted to remind it to you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, no Space Hulk today.. but as soon as it is tested, I will release the pdf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T
msg tools
To be fair, we were playing the original version of the map. We played twice, and the results are as follows:

First run-through: Sarge deactivated the "transmitter or whatever", and was subsequently torn to pieces. This was after the genestealer player "forgot" to spawn 4 blips, so we were playing with a 2 blip spawn the whole time. The broodlord was unable to make an appearance, due to all of the marines being killed dead. Oh, and the marines CP were being drawn from the 4, 5, or 6 tiles only.

Round 2 - Return of the death map: The marines had 6 CP every turn. The genestealers were played properly. This time flamer-guy elected to pick up the all important "TOW" (Transmitter Or Whatever), and also managed to deactivate it before being set upon by EVERY SINGLE GENESTEALER IN THE BOX which was in play by this point. I'd also like to point out that the broodlord chose to wade through fire, knowing he could not be harmed. Awesome.

Final thoughts: Well, I seriously enjoyed playing that mission, altough I feel there were too many marines. Maybe Sarge and the flamer guy can romp through this rose-garden of a level on their own to give the marine player a challenge. ON TO THE NEXT CUSTOM MISSION!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.