Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing Power Grid with a group of people and it has been a big hit. I know it's supposed to be heavier, but would Steam be a good game for those who enjoy Power Grid?

I think what we all like most is the mechanics of Power Grid. The fact that you feel like your actually doing something and getting something in return. Everything in the game seems to "fit," from the resource buying to power plant auctions and building cities. It's great! From what I hear Steam is less forgiving and heavier, but more tense. What's the chances this group will like it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Steam would probably be good. I would also recommend Agricola or Le Havre. Maybe even Imperial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also want to try a nice, good old-fashioned game of Die Macher. I mean, it is game #1, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
I would also recommend Agricola or Le Havre.

I beg to differ. I think Agricola and Le Havre, though entertaining games on their own, come no where close to the fun and replayability factor of Power Grid. They're a little too complicated and hence unforgiving to new players. If I'd have to choose from the 2, I'd go with Le Havre.

I like Acquire. I think partly because the theme is also set in the modern day era plus it's about economics. Also easy to get into, there's a fair bit of screwage factor and scales up to 6 players.

If you like route building, an alternative to Steam would be the Ticket to Ride series, with my favorite being Ticket to Ride: Europe or for more screwage factor, Ticket to Ride: Switzerland. They're lighter fair though.

Haven't played Steam so can't comment on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:
Mr_Bickman wrote:
I would also recommend Agricola or Le Havre.

I beg to differ. I think Agricola and Le Havre, though entertaining games on their own, come no where close to the fun and replayability factor of Power Grid. They're a little too complicated and hence unforgiving to new players. If I'd have to choose from the 2, I'd go with Le Havre.

I like Acquire. I think partly because the theme is also set in the modern day era plus it's about economics. Also easy to get into, there's a fair bit of screwage factor and scales up to 6 players.

If you like route building, an alternative to Steam would be the Ticket to Ride series, with my favorite being Ticket to Ride: Europe or for more screwage factor, Ticket to Ride: Switzerland. They're lighter fair though.

I would say the games I suggested would be a step up, whereas the Ticket to Ride series seems like a step down in complexity from Power Grid. Not that the Ticket to Ride games aren't great, they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Santiago. It reminds me of Power Grid. It has simpler ruleset than Power Grid, but still has depth to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and there's Chicago Express too. Heavier than Ticket to Ride, but lighter than Steam. The neat part about this game is the auctioning of shares, and getting dividends at the end of each phase. Definitely worth checking out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago is an excellent suggestion. Union Pacific is a good choice if you can find a copy. The various Tickets To Ride are good games, but significantly lighter than Power Grid. IMO Imperial is a shade tougher than Power Grid (and the English rules could be better).
Otherwise - check out Chinatown, Goa, Phoenicia and Amun-Re. All similar weight and duration, and reasonably easy to get hold of.

-R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have Acquire and Ticket to Ride, although the Nordic Countries edition. I have not had a chance for people to try Ticket to Ride yet, but Acquire has been a hit as well. I think the economics and money handling is what appeals to the group I play with. I already ordered Steam and was wondering what people thought. I will take a look at the suggestions here and see if I should hold off on Steam for a bit and bring out something heavier than Power Grid and lighter than Steam. Thanks for the help.

Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:

My experience is the other way round. Most people I play Funkenschlag (yeah, that's the original name) with, do enjoy Agricola as well. some enjoy it even more. I wouldn't want to play Le Havre with more than 3 people though.
Dodya wrote:

Dont' settle down, settle up. Ticket to ride get's boring pretty fast. Steam is a great game that you'll probably enjoy a lot more and a lot longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have been playing Power Grid with a group of people and it has been a big hit. I know it's supposed to be heavier, but would Steam be a good game for those who enjoy Power Grid?

You and I must be thinking on the same wavelength... my most recent order contained Power Grid and Steam. After reading the rules and having a mini "trial play," I think both scratch the same itch, and Steam would be well-received by your group. There's enough difference between the two so that it doesn't feel like too much overlap.

My favorite thing about Power Grid is the fluctuating resource market. That's incredibly clever. Steam might be a notch more difficult, but not significantly so. In Steam, you've got all sorts of tense choices to make! And Steam offers an economic system where you have to "take loans" and run a deficit before you can make up the difference and starting earning money or VPs. I'm really glad I bought both games.

Keep in mind that Steam offers the "base" game and the "standard" game, which is even more economically harsh. With both options in the same box, you can choose for your group essentially one of two difficulty levels.

Just yet another opinion thrown in the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cichlidhead wrote:

My favorite thing about Power Grid is the fluctuating resource market. That's incredibly clever.

That is also my favorite mechanic in the game. Hell, in any game I've played so far! Although it is a short list. heh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
I like Power Grid as well!

- Brass: Lancashire has a fluctuating resource market and is one of my favorite games EVER. It's a little more complex rules-wise, but the replayability is exceptional.

- Maybe an 18xx rail game or a crayon rail game? I've heard PG is based on some of their latter's principles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
absurdjohnny wrote:

I think what we all like most is the mechanics of Power Grid. The fact that you feel like your actually doing something and getting something in return. Everything in the game seems to "fit," from the resource buying to power plant auctions and building cities. It's great! From what I hear Steam is less forgiving and heavier, but more tense. What's the chances this group will like it?

That depends on how much you enjoyed Power Grid. Power Grid is basically a train game rethemed...aka...it's a crayon game and falls into that realm of train games.

If you REALLY REALLY enjoyed Powergrid I'd suggest you give Empire Builder or British Rails or Euro Rails a try. They are also crayon games, but ones that still have the crayon...in crayon game.

OR, if for another crayon game that has done away with the crayon...and is slightly meatier than Power Grid...I'd suggest Silverton...another EXCELLENT game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
I like Power Grid as well!

- Brass: Lancashire has a fluctuating resource market and is one of my favorite games EVER. It's a little more complex rules-wise, but the replayability is exceptional.

- Maybe an 18xx rail game? I've heard PG is based on some of their principles.

Uhhhm...I'd say there's not a whole bunch of similarities between 18XX and Power Grid other than they both may fall under the realm of train games...albeit PG is by association of crayon games rather than theme.

However, I also will say I really enjoy Steam AND AGE OF STEAM, which do have some strong parallels and rules with the 18XX series (and I would say probably were ripped off of the 18XX series...but hey...that's how many games get made...where would Agricola be without the worker placement idea of other games before it?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.