Popular Tags: painting [+] [View All]
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a number of forums where experienced painters recommend a cheaper brand of paint than the Citadel paints, but I'm wondering if they purchased a starter set of colors from Games workshop and then replaced individual paints as they ran out.

Is there a starting set of paints that experienced painters could recommmend?

I actually plan on trying the dip method on my Descent figures before I try tackling my Terminators and Genestealers. One of the things I'd like to get right are the skeletons, so I hope a starter set would include good paints for bone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Shock, horror ! What skeletons ? We did not see any skeleton cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madgit McOgg
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I highly recommend P3 paints from Privateer Press. The Protectorate of Menoth set (1x Formula P3 Bloodstone paint pot 1x Formula P3 Heartfire paint pot 1x Formula P3 Menoth White Base paint pot 1x Formula P3 Menoth White Highlight paint pot 1x Formula P3 Sanguine Base paint pot 1x Formula P3 Sanguine Highlight paint pot) would have good colors for the Blood Angels, as well as some great whites for painting bone. Add in a black and a metallic paint for the exposed metal and you should be golden. I would probably grab a few more paints specifically for the genestealers, but you would also do well just picking up the Legion of Everblight set (1x Formula P3 Radiant Platinum paint pot 1x Formula P3 Frostbite 18ml paint pot 1x Formula P3 Coal Black 18ml paint pot 1x Formula P3 Carnal Pink 18ml paint pot 1x Formula P3 Thamar Black 18ml paint pot 1x Formula P3 Morrow White 18ml paint pot) for them, and that has a black and a platinum already in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can mix any needed colour from just six different colours: Yellow, Blue, Red, Black, White, Metallic Silver.

GW paints are deemed pricey, but their rivals (Vallejo, P3, Foundry, et al), are all a similar price in my experience, people rally just go for the paint they're comfortable with.

Painting bone: Drybrush dark brown, drybrush light brown, drybrush bone, drybrush white, was brown. Simples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:

Painting bone: Drybrush dark brown, drybrush light brown, drybrush bone, drybrush white, was brown. Simples.

I assume this is painting over a white undercoat? Would this work using black primer if you applied a bone basecoat or is that not necessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Belgand wrote:
Slev wrote:

I assume this is painting over a white undercoat? Would this work using black primer if you applied a bone basecoat or is that not necessary?

Actually, that's over black. It's much much harder to do bone over white.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.