Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I caved and ordered a copy of Fields of Fire from my lgs. I will have to print out all the materials and start reading so I can be up to speed when the game comes in a week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
way to go!

And don't let all the rumors about the rulebook frighten you! I found that, after reading rules and errata, the best way to learn the game is by trying it (if necessary follow the examples of play first).

And while trying it, you'll come through some situation you don't seem to be able to resolve, and that's the moment you come back to good ol' BGG and check the FoF forums , or eventually ask a question yourself. But most of the special situations are covered all ready!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed... you will not be let down by this great game. Another suggestion... purchase D-Day at Omaha Beach ... play that through the advanced game - and then move into the Fields of Fire WWII scenarios... months of solo gaming goodness.

teufen wrote:
way to go!

And don't let all the rumors about the rulebook frighten you! I found that, after reading rules and errata, the best way to learn the game is by trying it (if necessary follow the examples of play first).

And while trying it, you'll come through some situation you don't seem to be able to resolve, and that's the moment you come back to good ol' BGG and check the FoF forums , or eventually ask a question yourself. But most of the special situations are covered all ready!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry about hijacking, but I am interested in DDay at Omaha Beach. If I have Fields of Fire will this be redundant or is it different enough to have both rather than either or.
Also have my on on Frontline by DVG, although that looks like FOF lite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No no - completely different types of games... no redundancy at all... I just was suggesting a progression from the invasion to the interior is all.

radsailor wrote:
sorry about hijacking, but I am interested in DDay at Omaha Beach. If I have Fields of Fire will this be redundant or is it different enough to have both rather than either or.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:

I have both Dday and FOF, and they're not redundant at all - they're wildly different in terms of gameplay. Both are well worth getting IMO, the biggest issue is finding time to get them both on the table.

Blake, interesting thought about playing DDay as a prelude to the FOF battles. My problem would be that I can never survive long enough in DDay to make it to FOF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - I am finding this out as well... I have not suffered a catastrophic loss - but in two games I have fallen well short of victory with terrible losses. In the last game my rangers were simply decimated - terrible to behold - and I was up to 6 and 7 infantry units destroyed in each sector respectively. Not a good show.

I also am sorry for thread takeover. FOF is one of the best solo games I have ever played. It took an investment to figure out the rules and to dig through forums to answer all my Q's - but the game is very rewarding. Congrats on your purchase - enjoy the game. I can't wait to get to Vietnam - though at this rate that will not be until this time next year. But that is another aspect of the game that makes it great.

moriarty88 wrote:
radsailor wrote:

I have both Dday and FOF, and they're not redundant at all - they're wildly different in terms of gameplay. Both are well worth getting IMO, the biggest issue is finding time to get them both on the table.

Blake, interesting thought about playing DDay as a prelude to the FOF battles. My problem would be that I can never survive long enough in DDay to make it to FOF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.