Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am afraid I may have screwed up... After several hours of punching the boards then clipping and assembling the figures I am beginning to think I made a mistake...

Should I have painted the figures while still on the sprues?

I think it may be wise to base-coat/prime while on the sprue, paint the large obvious parts, clip away the sprues and then paint the fine detail stuff prior to assembling.

I think I'll go this rout with my second set, but will clip away as much of the sprues as possible for each individual figure. The first set may remain unpainted so my son will have something to do when he gets older... (No he can't use my painted set)

Any veteran painters have thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regan O\'Malley
msg tools
Definitely off the sprue. You should remove the components from the sprue, file away any flash/mould lines (and there are ALWAYS mould lines) before assembly. Once assembled, a spray undercoat will help immensely.

If you paint on the sprue, you'll find it harder to remove mould lines before painting, and once you start assembling you'll have to touch up all the sprue connection points, anyway, so you're creating work for yourself.

Just my 2c.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painting a mini while it's still on the sprues? I've never heard of that before. I would think any paintjob you put on would get scratched up and gobbed all to heck when you removed the pieces from the sprue and then superglued them together. Not to mention, as Regan555 says, you'd then have to paint up where all the visible "connections" meet.

You should really assemble them before painting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Painting on the sprue is a valid option if you are painting a lot of smaller figures, with minimal assembly, and you're not too concerned about small details (such as painting a 1:72 plastic army)

However, the Space Hulk figures are big and deserve to be treated as individuals. You might wash them on the sprues, but after that you should get better results by assembling, filing, priming and then starting on the painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Painting....painting what in our case ?

Well, I have not gone to bed yet becuase of injuries !

8 Genestealers are quite badly damaged and three of my fingers are bleeding

Honestly, the figures that are damaged: four of them just had claws and bits that fell off and the rest were so stuck in their sprue that the base and the smaller bits are now useless.

Truely, I am amazed that GW could jammed so many bits and made them so hard to manipulate that it caused the actual figures to break so easily.

My nephew used a sprue clipper and so did I...we tried our best to be ultra careful, but we made a real muck up of the whole surgical procedure cry

Anyway, the marines are still on their sprues and we have been lamenting the Genestealers thus finding an excuse not to try any more.

This sort of thing has never, ever happened before. Figures normally click off. What was GW thinking off. £90 for gamers to injure themselves and end up with a third of their Genestealers unrepairable....the broken ends will be impossible to repair, they seem to be made of very soft plastic but are held to hard plastic sprues.

Anyway, please tell me that we are not the only ones that made a mess trying to seaparte fragile but obstinate figures.

Trying to imagine playing a game I have never played before with bits from other sets of monsters shake

What is the use of painting them now ? Maybe we can paint the marines once we get the courage to tackle them, but the remaining stealers will have to have odd looking "brothers" (maybe zombies !).

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
Figures normally click off.

Not for many years. It's the price you pay for the modern quality.

Outside of BGG, I've heard zero complaints about the minis and I frequent a number of GW fora. It seems that these are, in terms of construction, run of the mill GW figures.

I can only conclude that the folks having the problems are non-minis-gamers, not used to modern plastics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I had intended to paint the figures on their sprues, but we thought that the Genestealers were going to look OK and we would have done that with the Marine figures.

It was mentioned by me in another post, I thought it was a good idea to paint while still on sprue thus saving time....not now.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beynon-Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Took me 3 hours of carefull clipper and scalpal work to get mine off the sprue's. I felt like a surgeon. It was a game in itself. Even with maximum care, I lost one aquilla emblem, a gene stealer claw, a bit of cape, and a cut finger... curtesy of those spikey genestealers.

Epoxy fixed the plastic, and time will heal my genestealer clawed thumb.

I knew they'd have plenty of mould holes when I saw how detailed they are. Them's the breaks...literally!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a stanley knife and some small 'tin snips' to get mine off the sprues, all came away with out too much fuss, too about 5 hours to get them all off and cleaned up (the door bases needed a bit of filing to remove the remains of the sprues but I did use a larger set of cutters on them and did not do a good job), I have some mold lines to deal with as I did not know/not used to removing them.

I have started the process of painting and it looks like it will take a while!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
8 Genestealers are quite badly damaged and three of my fingers are bleeding

Honestly, the figures that are damaged: four of them just had claws and bits that fell off and the rest were so stuck in their sprue that the base and the smaller bits are now useless.

They best advice to anyone that hasn't taken them off the sprue yet is to buy those clippers and modelling knife in GW as they do the job good & proper. Use the clippers to take the models off the sprue carefully (keeping the flat side of the clippers facing the model) taking your time and then shave off the mould joins with the knife.

Edit - Make sure you have a good look around the model before making that final clip. This should stop you clipping something off you shouldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Slev, I have lots of experience with plastic modelling (planes, tanks, ships....you name it) and lots ofother models that have sprues...no problem except with this one-off: namely Space Hulk.

It could be a faulty plastic issue. I do not know, all I know is that when you first open the box and notice 3 GS's without claws and then the others that fell off, I cannot but wonder if it is certaintly not my fault.

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Shapiro
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you keep track of which models actually bloodied you. They will be far more effective in battle, now that they've been christened properly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that making 2 or 3 cuts on the sprue mad it easier to get to the figure with my nail clippers. The large snips I have could not always get as close as I wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.