Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eugene Hung
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a "forward retreat" allowed? I was Eleanor in Osgiliath trying to reach Barad-Dur for her advanced quest. I moved towards Mordor to attack a monster, so I could play a retreat to move towards Barad-Dur in a direction I didn't have the card symbol for. The Shadow player strenuously argued that "retreat" meant going backwards, even if the card clearly says "move to an adjacent square". I disagreed but he claimed it was answered in a FAQ somewhere. I looked around and couldn't find it. So can we "retreat" forwards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation of the card is that "Retreat" is the title of the card and doesn't have a meaning in terms of games mechanics. The card text clearly states what you can do: move to an adjacent square, which can then of course be in any direction you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Retreat" is just the name of the card. When you play the card, you follow the text on the card. You have described the text correctly. Your opponent is just irritated at a development that he didn't anticipate and is not to his advantage.

P.S. One thing that's not clear to me about Retreat is whether you have a Combat or Peril step in the new location. Strictly speaking, the text suggests that you don't, but this seems a bit odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game, Eleanor drew the Near Harad/Black Serpent Starting Quest and used "Retreat" to fulfill the combat portion of the Quest, while hightailing it out of the combat with 0 damage and head toward Barad-Dur. I've also seen it used to reach a normally unreachable location: Mouth of Sauron at High Pass, Eleanor must reach Mt. Gundabad this turn to remove Sauron's Plot (she didn't have the cards to defeat the Mouth in combat).

We did do Combat/Peril at Mt. Gundabad, where Gothmog was guarding the Plot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
In a recent game, Eleanor drew the Near Harad/Black Serpent Starting Quest and used "Retreat" to fulfill the combat portion of the Quest, while hightailing it out of the combat with 0 damage and head toward Barad-Dur. I've also seen it used to reach a normally unreachable location: Mouth of Sauron at High Pass, Eleanor must reach Mt. Gundabad this turn to remove Sauron's Plot (she didn't have the cards to defeat the Mouth in combat).

We did do Combat/Peril at Mt. Gundabad, where Gothmog was guarding the Plot.

My wife did the same thing last Sunday with her starting quest. I didn't know about the Retreat card, so she slipped in and out of Near Harad (completing her starting quest) and ended her turn in Minas Tirith. Sneaky wife. She used it again to slip by a Giant Spider at Mount Doom and went straight to Bara-Dur, freeing Gollum. Sneaky, sneaky wife.

I got the last laugh, beating the heroes with a dominance+mission victory. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ioticus
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked FFG this question:

The Retreat combat card allows a hero to move to an adjacent location and continue his turn. Does the hero have a "Combat or Peril" step after retreating? Exactly what step in the turn sequence does the hero do next after the retreat? Thanks.

And got this reply:

The hero continues his turn with the step that he is currently in. Therefore, if this occurs during the Combat or Peril step, the card would cancel the combat and this step of his turn would be over. He would not immediately resolve another Combat or Peril step. The player would then be able to travel again or encounter his new location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.