Subject: Decisions decisions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I need your help. I always wanted to play this game but I know the complexity and the length of it scares a lot of people away.

So my room-mate is a LotR fanboy, who really loves Risk (why?) tried to play TI3 and got scared by boardgames. He hadn't tried Settlers because he finds it uninteresting, or Intrigue because of the screw you factor.

I am wondering if he could like this game, so I ask for your personal experience.

How long will a run through the rules will take? How long will it take to play the first game?

Also, I have seen in various threads that the basic game is far from "complete". Do I really have to spend any more time apart from reading the rules and preparing the board (do I really have to print all those help sheets, organisers ect?)

And one last question. Is the expansion necessary for the game?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As probably one of the least authorised to answer your questions (and am subject to possible rebuke), I have played Wotr a few times lately & realised what a well designed game it really is.
Anyway, in answer to your questions;
1.Rules & first game; I cannot lie to you that the first game is daunting and may well take 3-4 hrs first go, but unlike other games the complexity is well worth the effort. You really feel like you are part of the middle earth story that unfolds as you play the game.
2.The base game is complete & you dont worry about extra aids etc to start with, especially if its putting you off !
3. No, you don't need the expansion at all, not sure where you got that info from.

Good luck, you'll love it !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To set the game up and do justice to explaining the rules properly will take at least an hour. You can't jump in and pick up the rules as you go along. If it was the rules set of TI3 that put him off, WotR is a similar animal.

As an aside, he seems a picky little soul for someone with so little experience of games (mind you I hate SoC). If he is a new comer then unless his love of LotR is overwealming, I'd steer clear for the time being. Why not kick off with Confrontation and see how that goes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with John. However, the FAQ (found on Veldrin's site) is essential reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
This person sounds so picky, that even Confrontation sounds a little heavy. Why not start out with a true gateway like "Hey That's My Fish!" or "Ticket to Ride".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I was hoping that the theme would draw him in the game. after all my first real game was TI3!

Anyway maybe I should start with something lighter then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents: I agree that this guy seems a bit fussy. Tell your roommate about it and maybe show him the rules and see if he'll pony up some cash as proof of his commitment to learn and play the game. Otherwise I fear that you'll be disappointed with him (but you'll still have an incredible game). Finding a true gamer is rare indeed.

As to your questions, if you know the rules and he has half a brain and an attention span longer than a sound bite, you can explain the game in 15 minutes: 5 minutes for big picture (game components, turn order, and victory conditions), 5 for the Fellowship, and 5 for combat. Everything else you can explain along the way and you can still have a great first game. If you don't really have the rules down, well then it's probably more like an hour explaining things wrong and you'll have a bunch of things to correct. Since there are several unique game mechanics, the best way to learn the game is to play with someone who already knows how to play correctly.

Your first game will probably go 3-4 hours. It is a longer game--well worth it--but this could be a major turn off.

You only need to read the rules and set up the board for a good game. Reading the FAQ is useful for some of the finer points. Everything else is just a matter of taste and aesthetics--no need to print anything else out.

The expansion is nice, but it is certainly not necessary. I've played the base game many, many times--it's awesome. Once you get really good as being the Shadow, well, yeah, then the Shadow player will usually win. However, being really good as the Shadow is no simple feat. Eventually, if one person is really good at the game, just make them be the Free. If you reach this point, you will have already gotten an incredible value out of the game.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well maybe I should start from Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.