War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Looks nice... but is it girlfriend-friendly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I read all the reviews and I'm thinking about buying this game. But I wonder if my GF would like it. She's a LoTR-fan so the theme would be no problem. She's patient and ready to learn complex rules. I just wonder how it worked for you guys playing with wives / girlfriends. Please share your experiences.

EDIT: poll added. Vote kindly.

Poll
War of the Rings vote
Is it girlfriend friendly?
No.
Meh.
Somewhat.
Yes, absolutely. Chicks cream for this.
      55 answers
Poll created by Fortune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a view times with my GF although she doesn't like wargames that much... But she defintely enjoyed WotR! She prefers the free nations. In my opinion playing sauron is basically moving armies. but playing the free nations is more based on reproducing the story from LOTR: Moving the fellowship (Moria, Lothorien etc...), splitting it up and move the different characters all over Middle-Earth. Thats why i suggest, that she goes for the free nations in the first game.

Dont be afraid, she will LOVE it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure my gf would like it ... if she could only read the tiny font on the cards. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big negative from me, the wife won't go near this again, and dont think I haven't tried !
Not sure why, but I think its all the armies..
Then again, she likes Battlelore, go figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps it's the best to decide the question with a vote. Poll added, vote please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my wife's favorite board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gouge
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
I love the fact that so far one person has voted that "Chicks scream for this." Perhaps another poll could be created. This voter is:

1. Joking.
2. Fantasizing.
3. Pretending.
4. A female that loves this game.
5. Torturing his GF/wife by compelling her to play this against her will and with a smile on her face.
6. The one guy who happens to have a significant other who screams for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on your GF's gaming tastes. What does she currently play? What is her current favorite?

I belong to a couple gaming meet-up groups with a modest amount of women members. As of yet, none have been interested in playing WotR, even those who are huge fans of the story.

Unless you have no other gaming partners, I wouldn't base the purchase of this game on whether your GF will like it or not. WotR is my favorite two-player game and has been so for a considerable amount of time.

If you decide to take the plunge, I recommend perusing the rules posted at this forum. They are much more concise than in the game's official rulebook. The expansion rules are included in the post, but easily enough ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loved this game. We played it for the first time the other day.

A couple of things: She played the Shadow Army initially as it is more direct in it's strategy. She preferred this option when learning the game.

This game is perfect to be set-up, played for a while, left, come back to, etc. This is how we played it - over three days. This meant it wasn't too long at the game table in one shot (especially important as she is pregnant and sitting too long is uncomfortable).

My wife is my main gaming partner, she loves a lot of games, from Battlelore to Can't Stop (one of her current favourites).

I don't think this is likely to be a hit with many gaming partners as some other games, but if your wife is a LotR fan, she should at least dig the theme (mine hasn't read or watched the LotR - so explaining some of the aspects of the game was tough).

In any case - good luck and have fun! If you have a wife that loves playing games with you you are a lucky man!!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My GF had never played anything more complex than Mille Bournes. We played one game of Risk:LotR, she said it was kind of fun but not "realistic" (using a generous definition for realism) so I went out and bought this. She's no lover of huge strategy games six years later, though she has become an avid gamer, but she loves LotR and this is the best experience you can get manipulating the world of LotR yourself.

I would say, if you love LotR enough, no set of fiddly rules will stop you from really loving this game.

Also, it was the Lord of the Rings battle games that got her into video games, so I will admit she really, really loves LotR

edit: oh yes, absolutely allow for playing over three days. Our first game took 5+ hours over several days, and I think we only got all the rules right after our 20th play-through. Also, don't make the mistake of going for the beginner rules first; if you're trying to build this on the LotR interest, provide the full LotR experience. As difficult as this game might seem, though, somebody willing to watch all three LotR movies consecutively (or even over three days) has way more constitution than is necessary to enjoy this amazing game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin vazquez
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
If your girlfriend doesn't like it, get a new girlfriend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
The base game and expansion contain lots of figures.
There is one female figure.
She is immobile and cannot attack anyone outside her bathroom.

Does that sound girl friendly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin vazquez
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
How many games did you post this question on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would by far recommend Middle Earth Quest. Adventure style games seem to go over much better with women than strategy/wargames. (See: Arkham Horror).

I am a huge strategy game fan, LOTR fan, Ameritrash fan, and wargame competent. I HATE the rules/errata/FAQS/confusion/overly complex nature of this game. There are too many issues for a guy like me, who should love this game, to recommend this to anyone, let alone a woman who may not be all that into this type of game.

Again, adventure style games are your friends for female gamers. They have lots of theme and cool bits, aren't as competitive, and feel more story oriented than stacking limits, dice pools, chit draws, reinforcement counts, and the extremely fiddly distinctions between board elements: region/border/fortification/settlement/city/stronghold and also leadership figures: leaders/shadow leaders/characters/companions/minions/leadership rating/combat bonus/movement/placement rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
magic gecko wrote:
Does that sound girl friendly?

We implemented a house rule that let girls touch some of the other pieces outside their gender and that seemed to fix most of the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All my board gaming friends are guys. Can't get a girl to play with us shake

Few people play board games here where I live and much fewer ladies willing to play board games with war as part of the theme or as the main theme.

I probably need Xena to play WotR with.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
This (and Carcassonne) are the only board games I can get my wife to play and she only plays WotR if she can be the FP (she has become quite good at it too).

I am not sure how she can play this quite time consuming game but I think it has to do with the game's ability to tell a great story, even if its startegy and some difficult decision making you also follow a story (and one that it is unique almost every time you play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
I think, therefore I am, I think
mbmbmbmbmb
My GF loves the game (apart from the fact that we had a _huge_ fight the first time my ents massacred Saruman's forces with a few lucky rolls), but I'd say it's the fantasy / Tolkien setting that does it for her.

The fantasy / fictional setting allows her to enjoy most tactical / wargames like this one, or say Hybrid or Battlelore, but then she won't touch Memoir or Axis and Allies, because they depict "real warfare". Battlelore is okay because it has goblins and dwarves.. Go figure. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dagobal wrote:
Battlelore is okay because it has goblins and dwarves.. Go figure. whistle

That's exactly why my wife won't play. Once she saw the goblins riding on giant lizards, it was game over.

She showed a brief bit of interest in A Most Dangerous Time: Japan in Chaos, 1570-1584 because it was historically based. However, once we started going through the rule book, she lost interest. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:
Big negative from me, the wife won't go near this again, and dont think I haven't tried !

Taken out of context that was one of the funniest things I've read on the geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.