John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Yes, it’s a game that’s very like Wits & Wagers, in fact it’s made by Days of Wonder under license from NorthStar Games. So I don’t think anyone is trying to hide anything here.

So is it the same game? Not quite, but if your familiar with Wits & Wagers you’ll be able to pick this up really easy. But then considering how simple Wits & Wagers is, you will be able to pick this up easily if you have not played it anyway.

So how is it different? Well certainly for the European version (Which is the one I have), the questions are not all about the USA (Unlike W&W). They are a mixture, there are still plenty about the USA, but also lots of European questions too. I’m not sure if other parts of the world get localised versions too.

The poker style chips are gone from W&W. In Gambit 7 you just get points either from your two chips of your colour or from using your Gambit 7 chip. You can on any question use your Gambit 7 chip. What this means is regardless of the usual odds, if you win you get 7 to one odds on your whole score. The downside of the Gambit 7 token is if you lose you lose all your points. (In the games I have played I have rarely seen it used)

The other difference is that the odds paid out change depending on how many people have chosen an answer. If only one person chooses an answer they get better odds than if multiple people chose the same answer.

Other than that it’s the same. Take it in turns to ask questions until 7 questions have been asked. All answers are numeric. Everyone writes down their answer then everyone bets on the answers they think are right. Correct answer or the one that is nearest but not higher gets the points.

It’s still a fun quick game that can be played in 10 to 15 minutes. Although I am European I have so far found the questions in Gambit 7 harder than W&W. I think the questions are a little more obscure. I sometimes know the answer in W&W, I have not known the answer to a single question so far in Gambit 7. I also had a game where I scored 0 points all game. I have never done that in W&W.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
What this means is regardless of the usual odds, if you win you get 7 to one odds.

I thought it meant that if you win you get your entire score multiplied by 7, at the risk of losing everything. So it can pay out a lot more than a normal chip at 7-1 odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Martin

Thank you, corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this tonight. Got one of the questions bang on! I don't think it's meant to have questions you can easily get right entirely, but having a ton of questions about the USA isn't going to be a good thing for us in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willi Van Bogaert
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question as a continental European: does the English version of Gambit 7 use SI units?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.