Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Market question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Milan L
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
I've checked the rules book multiple times, but didnt find the answer for a simple question.. When you play for example 3 market card as action you get +3 money and +3 buys. But, can i buy only one card using the +3 money?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've played three market cards, you have:

4 buys in total.

3 more coins in total to spend on those 4 cards.

So if you have 3 coins in your hand, you have a total of 6 to spend, and you can spend it any way you like.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use the money in anyway you like, just like any other money from action cards or treasure cards that you play. You are not restricted in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Krupa
Poland
Bialystok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can. You may use your bonus actions or bonus buys the way you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

You don't need to use excess +buys if you don't want to.

EDIT: Wow, sarnath'd so hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan L
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick answers everyone!

I was only asking to be sure, because i think this card is too good compared to other cards... isn't it unbalanced a bit? :) I think it is because of the +1 card.., but im newbie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a solid card to be sure... since you can essentially buy as many of these as you want and they won't clog up your hand ever. But by focusing on this too heavily you might be passing up other good card buys like golds and whatnot that will let you get the most out of your +buys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinnious wrote:

I was only asking to be sure, because i think this card is too good compared to other cards... isn't it unbalanced a bit? I think it is because of the +1 card.., but im newbie.

Experienced players do not generally consider it to be overpowered. In fact, some consider it to be underpowered. I don't agree with them, but they're out there. Personally, I think its cost is just about right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinnious wrote:

I was only asking to be sure, because i think this card is too good compared to other cards... isn't it unbalanced a bit? I think it is because of the +1 card.., but im newbie.

Think of it like this:
the +1 action and +1 card basically allow it to replace the action it used to play and the physical Market card in your hand. It's pretty much a "free" +1 buy and +1 coin. Those can be good, but on their own, they're not much. It benefits from being combined with high-value treasure cards, other cards that give more coins (festivals, woodcutters, militia, etc.), or cards that allow you to draw more treasure (library, council room, smithy, etc.). On its own it's not terribly good, but with the right support it can be the cornerstone of a solid economic strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinnious wrote:
I've checked the rules book multiple times, but didnt find the answer for a simple question.. When you play for example 3 market card as action you get +3 money and +3 buys. But, can i buy only one card using the +3 money?

I seem to be interpreting your question differently than anyone who's answered it so far...

I read you asking if you get +3 coins FOR EACH BUY. As in, you would get 4 buys, and would have 3 extra coins for each of them (or maybe 3 of them). If that's what you're asking, the answer is no. If not, then just ignore this message!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan L
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
I used market with as many gold cards as i could the last game i had, and i got real good buying power as i drew another Market or Gold instead of my Market cards. Around 14-22 money with 3-5 buys. As i learnt it is not the best strategy out there, but hard to beat, and quite simple to reach (some Mines + lots of Market, and gold), and it has an even distribution of hands, i dont need much luck for the card drawing, and i can buy all the provinces with one shuffle of the deck so i dont ever get them in the hand. However i havent played against pros, who probably wouldnt let me to do this.. And it would be boring to play this strategy over and over..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your strategy sounds strong, and may when used this way make market seem overpowered.

The problem I would suggest could be that when playing with pros (I am not that good at this game either) it might take too long to set up a deck with enough markets/mines to get the effect you describe (and these cards both cost 5 coins as well)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.