Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife doesn't like RftG all that much, but she saw me playing my usual solitaire last night and asked to play. The only condition was that she wanted the robot to play too.

I didn't know if this could be done, but figured, heck, I'll give it a shot, lets see how it goes. We played with the beginner rules (human players picking one action each). It was actually easy to do and it worked fairly well.

She and I picked our actions then we placed our action markers on the board accordingly and rolled the dice for the robot. We played through the turns as we normally would, completing our actions and the actions for the robot. In the end the scores were very tight. My wife had 42, Robot had 41 and I had 40 and we played the robot on medium difficulty with I believe the #0 world (the one where the chit gets discarded after $).

My wife liked it lot more this way and I enjoyed the added challenge.

Has anybody else done this? Was it just a one time fluke that it worked so well? Did I miss this in the directions that you can play 2 players with the robot? if so I apologize for posting this session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space is available for rental
mbmbmbmbmb
How did robot choose his action as on one dice there're actions that are not present on the other and vice versa. If robot also picked one action and rolled only one dice than it wouldn't choose some of the actions because they're on the other dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried this very same setup, where the humans only get one phase choice, but the robot rolls both dice. In one game, the robot crushed us with its super-fast production and in the second it got really bad rolls/card draws and went nowhere.

In summary, I found that the robot with 2-players is no better than the robot with 1-player. Far too random and not necessarily worth the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yosz wrote:
How did robot choose his action as on one dice there're actions that are not present on the other and vice versa. If robot also picked one action and rolled only one dice than it wouldn't choose some of the actions because they're on the other dice.

We used both dice

radynski wrote:
I've tried this very same setup, where the humans only get one phase choice, but the robot rolls both dice. In one game, the robot crushed us with its super-fast production and in the second it got really bad rolls/card draws and went nowhere.

In summary, I found that the robot with 2-players is no better than the robot with 1-player. Far too random and not necessarily worth the time.

This is exactly what we did. The Robot rolled both dice.

Maybe we will give it another shot even though what you said may be true, because I feel sometimes that the whole game seems very random. The last 2 player game I was saddened to watch my wife who had very high military doing what she could to draw some decent military worlds and coming up empty handed. Of course we aren't hardcore gamers for RftG as this game seems to draw in a lot of those and it may just be chalked up to poor strategy on our part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like an interesting way to play. I could probably get my wife to play with me this way. I don't see why it couldn't work.

As far as the robot being random, that's OK. That never bothered me. All I care about is a semi-legitimate score, and a believable opponent who feels like he is trying to beat me. I like the robot, and the unpredictability of the score I am trying to beat. Playing with my wife will be fun to try out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
As far as the robot being random, that's OK. That never bothered me. All I care about is a semi-legitimate score, and a believable opponent who feels like he is trying to beat me. I like the robot, and the unpredictability of the score I am trying to beat. Playing with my wife will be fun to try out.

Exactly why we will be giving it another shot too.

I did forget to mention our nervous glances over to Robot's side to see how well he was doing and the groans whenever he added some more points to his tableau.

Try it, we thought it was fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will Raymond!

Question: Does giving the robot two selections compared to human's one selection make it harder to beat? Presumably, the robot is getting two bonuses per turn verse each player's one for the role they chose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutilatedlips wrote:

Maybe we will give it another shot even though what you said may be true, because I feel sometimes that the whole game seems very random. The last 2 player game I was saddened to watch my wife who had very high military doing what she could to draw some decent military worlds and coming up empty handed. Of course we aren't hardcore gamers for RftG as this game seems to draw in a lot of those and it may just be chalked up to poor strategy on our part.

I typically don't go above three military unless I already have a world that justifies it (which doesn't guarantee I'll do it) or NGO. There's no inherent benefit to having high military, and cards like Drop Ships have a poor cost-VP spread. Also keep in mind that there are exactly three military worlds worth more than 4 points using the base set + first expansion, and only three more that are worth 4 points. This game generally doesn't reward going out on a limb without some sort of payoff already in your hand (or as a goal).

Also, explore +5 is your friend if you aren't doing that already. You should never (yeah I said it) explore +1/+1 with 4+ military unless you just need cards to throw away on a development, or you're also playing explore +5 in a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:

Question: Does giving the robot two selections compared to human's one selection make it harder to beat? Presumably, the robot is getting two bonuses per turn verse each player's one for the role they chose.

I didn't think it mattered all that much with the robot getting two bonuses since you get to use his actions too. Many times he rolled an action that helped me.
Maybe as an alternative you could give him the bonus for the right most action, but no bonus for the left most. With some actions this may mean that even though he picked settle, he may not be able to "flip to find" because he doesn't have enough credit.

We played again last night and the scores were pretty tight again. Me 45, Wife 40 and Robot 38. With the #0 world again and on medium difficulty. I felt I had a good game. I mostly beat the robot by cards on the tableau which I was able to do again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunna wrote:

I typically don't go above three military unless...

Also, explore +5 is your friend....

Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure she focused on getting that 8pt alien monolith out and then had nothing else after that but 1's and 2's military worlds.

She did have her explore powers really going, she was drawing around 9 cards a turn and settling on my action. But I got to selling my goods real quick which hurt her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just adding to my own thread here If anybody is still interested.

I played last night using a different start world, #4 (not positive, but pretty sure that is what it was). The robot beat us with some fast producing, developing and settling. Still the scores weren't so bad. Robot 47, Wife 38, Me 26 (embarassing for me). So if we reduced it to easy difficulty we still would have lost, but I wouldn't say he blew us out of the water.

My wife did get tired of me dealing with the robot every turn so we ended up playing a couple of 2 action experienced games which she liked a lot more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mutilatedlips wrote:
My wife doesn't like RftG all that much, but she saw me playing my usual solitaire last night and asked to play. The only condition was that she wanted the robot to play too.
[...]
My wife liked it lot more this way and I enjoyed the added challenge.

mutilatedlips wrote:
My wife did get tired of me dealing with the robot every turn so we ended up playing a couple of 2 action experienced games which she liked a lot more.

That's a win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.