Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
I'm trying to fix the problem with ghost items in the subscription count. if your count reads 1 or more when you have no items, I need your help. I've made a change that may fix the problem (at least temporarily, until we can find a more permanent solution).

My change should prevent NEW ghost items from getting into your queue. What I need you to do is to take steps to remove any existing ghosts. The easiest way to do that is to subscribe then UNsubscribe from this (or any) thread. It may take a minute or so to take effect, and there is no reason to do this if you aren't seeing any ghost items.

Once you have cleared your ghosts, I need you to watch for a recurrence--if you see them again, please post here, and let me know. Then hopefully I will be able to use your account to figure out how they are still getting in.

Also, if you try the subscribe/unsubscribe trick a couple of times, and it does NOT get rid of ghosts, I want to hear about that as well.

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I now have 2 Ghost subscriptions where before it was only 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the subscribe/unsubscribe trick and still have a ghost item.

Update: the ghost went away.

Update#2: the ghost has returned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
I now have 2 Ghost subscriptions where before it was only 1

Do you still see these ghost subscriptions? I don't see them when I log in as you. When did the second one appear? Have you tried the trick to make them go away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
They went away one at a time as I changed pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
They went away one at a time as I changed pages.

OK, that is what I would expect to happen if you did not try the trick to get rid of the ghosts. If they reappear, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribing/unsubscribing to this thread took care of the problem instantly. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a ghost show up when I never had any before.

EDIT: And the unsubscribe/resubscribe trick didn't make it go away.

RE-EDIT: Logging out and then logging back in didn't fix it, either.

RE-RE-EDIT: Closing the browser and then bringing it back up doesn't work. I think I'm out of tricks. I'll just quit editing this and patiently await the fix now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This wasn't a ghost, but in going through my thread subscriptions, at one point, there were indicated 10 items when there were only 9 in the queue. When I clicked through to one of the items, the counter went to 8. I haven't had any other problems since you've done your "fix" but I also haven't caught up on my subscriptions since sometime yesterday ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I did the Subscribe/Unsubscribe trick this morning and all was going fine until just now. 4 Ghosts

So I tried the Subscribe/Unsubscribe one more time, and now I have 10 Ghosts

Addendum: Got a one legitimate unread item and the count displayed 10 new (unchanged). Once I read it, it dropped down to 9, but incremented back to 10 at the next page (and is still there as I type this.)

Addendum 2: Another legitimate unread item, but this time the ghost count did decrement by 1 to 9 and seems to be holding there. Thinking about the two items and what might be different, I can identify one aspect:

The first item was a response to a thread I had created (and I have set my preferences to yes for special subscriptions (replies to my own content). The second item was a "generic" forum thread that I was subscribed to. Mention this in case it is part of what might be triggering the ghosts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see dead people.

Actually, I had not seen any of these supposed ghosts until this "fix". Now, I see three of them.

edit: ok, my dead people went away now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one ghost item, I subscribed & unsubscribed, and now I have 4 ghost items...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
I had 1 ghost. I did the subscribe / unsubscribe on this thread and it went away on the first refresh. But on the second refresh I had 3 ghosts. And they seem to be here to stay, I've tried the subscribe / unsubscribe a couple more times on different things, no change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I unsubscribed, refreshed and re-subscribed to this thread and I still have 1 ghost.

I think it's time for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
OK, I have a potential fix in the works, but it won't be ready till tomorrow, I think. You can stop subscribing/unsubscribing now. The current bug should not be fixed by that. It SHOULD however go away when you receive a new item in your queue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
dakarp wrote:
It SHOULD however go away when you receive a new item in your queue.

Should? Still waiting for mine to disappear. Down to 7 now, but they are rather persistent and don't go willingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
dakarp wrote:

Should? Still waiting for mine to disappear. Down to 7 now, but they are rather persistent and don't go willingly.

Looks like you have the "bad" kind of ghost. I have no idea why they are not going away, but I intend to find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
After not having any problems before today, I have one ghost currently. Subscribing and unsubscribing to this thread failed to clear it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
RPardoe wrote:
dakarp wrote:

Looks like you have the "bad" kind of ghost. I have no idea why they are not going away, but I intend to find out.

Daniel, while you were testing some of my items didn't stick. I replyed to a thread (http://rpg.geekdo.com/article/3924627) and it didn't subscribed me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:

Richard (or anyone who is having ghosts that won't go away)--did you have an issue with pages that failed to load today, by any chance? Maybe you clicked next subscribed item, and the page either didn't come up, or you got frustrated and hit reload?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
dakarp wrote:
RPardoe wrote:

Richard (or anyone who is having ghosts that won't go away)--did you have an issue with pages that failed to load today, by any chance? Maybe you clicked next subscribed item, and the page either didn't come up, or you got frustrated and hit reload?

Not me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
dakarp wrote:

Not that I remember - everything loaded up smoothly. Some of the geeklists (eg Essen releases) took a bit longer, but everything loaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
OK, I've discovered the source of the problem. Fixing it is another story. Since I've added caching to the number of items, we now have three completely independent types of "ghost" items showing up in the queue. This will get fixed, but I want to do it right.

In the mean time, for the newest type of ghost, the only thing you can do to get rid of them is to remain logged off for at least 3 hours or so. At the end of that, the site should show you some items that you probably viewed previously. Then the ghosts should go away, at least for a little while.

I appreciate everyone's patience on this matter--I know the count being off is annoying, but fixing it may actually entail fixing some more serious underlying bugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
dakarp wrote:
remain logged off for at least 3 hours or so.

Fortunately, I do have to sleep for a few hours, so this will occur naturally overnight. And kudos for finding the source of the problem, especially if there is a stronger foundation under Boardgamegeek as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a ghost count of 3. I unsubscribed an resubscribed this thread. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/next then gave me a new message and said 1 new, but this 1 is a ghost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.