Subject: #1 last night... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Svahn
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dreamed last night that Space Hulk (third edition) was number 1 on the geek (today it is #18, 10 days after its release, so it isn’t that impossible) and because of that kind of fame GW decided to release another classic in the same product quality as SH, namely Blood bowl. I can’t really describe the kind of joy I felt in my dream when I "heard" this news. Then I woke...

But the point is: wouldn’t it be neat with a Blood bowl version with the same detailed production as SH, or why not an expansion for SH? I know that this last part wont likely happen and SH don’t really need an expansion but couldn’t they give us blood bowl instead? A 25 years Anniversary Edition = 2011?

The second question the dream raised is obvious: Will SH become #1 here on the geek? A none euro as #1? It´s really possible...

Happy hunting.
/ Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe last year was the 20th anniversary of Blood Bowl and that GW was going to do a special edition of BB... but that got scrapped! cry

On the plus side, it may be why we got Space Hulk instead, woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Svahn
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Bowl (first edition) = 1986
2006 was the 20th anniversary of Blood Bowl
2011 will be the 25th.
2016 maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
But Blood Bowl is still available. You can buy the pitch and all the teams you want (well, except some of the new ones from LRB6).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sockerpappa wrote:
The second question the dream raised is obvious: Will SH become #1 here on the geek? A none euro as #1? It´s really possible...

I believe it's impossible because as soon as the Euro-defenders {-snoots} glimpse their favorite games losing positions they'll do their best to keep it down with 1 ratings and/or protest that it's only an "advanced 1st edition" and must be removed.

Farmers and sheep can be #1 but anything that uses dice cannot. It's a BGG rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree with Vasilis' prediction. It's a funny site that way - hell hath no fury like a Eurogamer scorned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk has been number one on "The Hotness" rating for the past four to six weeks. Either people are saying it is awesome, or saying it sucks. Either way people are talking and I have not seen this kind of dominance since Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gene Stealers > Sheep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes, Eurogamers are snobbish jerks who like bad games, Ameritrashers are boorish jerks who like bad games...
Getting back on topic, Space Hulk rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

I believe it's impossible because as soon as the Euro-defenders {-snoots} glimpse their favorite games losing positions they'll do their best to keep it down with 1 ratings and/or protest that it's only an "advanced 1st edition" and must be removed.

Agreed. Stinking Eurosnoots. Ought to find a way to get rid off the pests once and for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm... what if we put all the Eurosnoots into a giant space vehicle... like the size of a planet!

Then wearing advance armor and weaponry, we'd entry the ship to battle them... but they'd have massive numbers on their side as we travel thru tiny corridors.

Ameri-jerk VS euro-snoot in desperate battle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
With an average rating of 9.03 at 509 votes (as of Sept. 15, '09), Space Hulk 3E is about half a point higher than Agricola was when it had this many ratings (8.52 with 512). Further, there's been very little drop off in the average over the last couple hundred votes.... So I'd say number one is a definite possibility.

Source: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/236606

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

Naw, I don't think so. There were a lot of people 1-ing Agricola, and it didn't keep it from coming to top.

Go on and 10 this game and get it to the top. If it doesn't reach all the way, all that means is that Space Hulk is an acquired taste, but that Puerto Rico and the likes are more generally popular to the masses. And has that ever been the sign of quality?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
all that means is that Space Hulk is an acquired taste, but that Puerto Rico and the likes are more generally popular to the masses.

Well I would say that the truth is almost exactly the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Svahn
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well from the comments I sense a little bit of bitterness about the ranking here on the geek...

It isn't that important in my world. I'm just glad that many other people seems to appreciate SH as I do and are giving the game credit accordingly, because it is a fine gem of ameritrash culture. If other publishers would have this kind of quality in both chit and game play I would have to buy much more games. To day it´s #14 and by the looks from it its going for the top, and then some.

But, as we all know, if blood bowl would be released in a similar fashion it would beat SH with ease because between those two games BB is the topdog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Space Hulk DESERVES to be #1 and that everyone, Eurofan or AT-fan or Monopolyfan or whatever should welcome it.

Why? Because Space Hulk is a kind of a boardgame that can draw people to the hobby much quicker then Agricola or Puerto Rico could ever hope.

Regardless of preferences, one must admit that SH is an epithome of boardgame - a board that looks phenomenal, cool-looking pieces that move around it, clear (ok, mostly clear) ruleset, high entertainment value.

The problem with BGG is that people are more often then not boardgaming hobbyists who know what they like and what they search in the boardgame. In that particular sense rating has no *real* value for them - if I don't like worker-placement Euros, I will never buy Agricola, first place or no first place. However (and this one's a biggie), BGeeks are often developing some sort of personal connection with their favorite games and ratings become a question of prestige.. as it is painfully obvious from threads (much like this one) where some people are crapping their pants from joy by the mere thought their beloved Space Hulk could reach the top. Yaaay!! shake

If I want to draw more people to the hobby, then I absolutely positively welcome the notion of a game with such a potential for general appeal to be prominently featured by some way. #1 BGG rating? Hell why not.

The REAL problem is that ridiculous "limited availability" of Space Hulk. Drawing new people with this cool-looking boardgame and then saying "sorry, you can't have it" is preposterous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather they just did another release of SH. Then maybe those of us who missed out because of all the ****ers who bought multiple copies just to sell at inflated prices on ebay can get a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Why? Because Space Hulk is a kind of a boardgame that can draw people to the hobby much quicker then Agricola or Puerto Rico could ever hope.

I don't think so at all. I know a lot of (not-gaming-so-much) people who would be completely deterred by board games like Space Hulk, yet think that games like Agricola looks fantastic.

Space Hulk, Descent, and the likes looks like games for "men who haven't stopped playing with tin soldiers". Those who don't regard themselves among such men are completely uninterested by such a game, while they can be very attracted by a board of Blokus.

With all it's gritty cool-looking board and pieces, it's a MANLY game. Thus it has a much larger power when it comes to drawing young men into the hobby. The rest of the population, not so much.

It's important to realize that different type of games attract different types of people. A LOT of the people I game with (pals, their girlfriends, the girlfriend's friend and their boyfriends, my family, my nephews, nieces, acquaintances) would look at Space Hulk and think "What's this? This looks completely boring" and instead walk over to a board of Ticket to Ride and think "This looks fun, what's this?". There's no reason to suggest Space Hulk to them, they're completely uninterested in games where you walk around on a board battling enemies by rolling the dice. It's as boring to them as Monopoly is to us.

I have two hard-core gaming pals. One of them is likely to go "Hm… this might be fun. Let's try it." (nothing more) and the other is likely to take look at it, look at the rules and probably say: "Nah." Personally I'm drooling and almost wetting myself.

That's different gamers for you. Come to grips with what the ratings mean. It's not that Agricola is "better" than Space Hulk. It's that it has a different appeal that is more universal. In terms of "excitedness", if Agricola causes excitement of magnitude 80 among 10000 gamers, and Space Hulk causes nerspasms of magnitude 200 among 1000 fans, it will mean Agricola reaches higher.

baba44713 wrote:
The REAL problem is that ridiculous "limited availability" of Space Hulk. Drawing new people with this cool-looking boardgame and then saying "sorry, you can't have it" is preposterous.

Yes, the limited availability of Space Hulk will most certainly affect its rating here. Then again, limited editions is MANLY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get all this MANLY stuff... yeah, so it's fun when reading the AT forums, etc... but you see, that attitude is almost always for fun. Not serious. When I look at SH I see an interesting tactical game with a Science Fiction theme. The pieces are gorgeous and that's a plus, but I would have gotten it just the same if it was just counters and thin cardboard tiles (In fact I recently got the similarly themed old gem Starship Troopers )

Usually Eurogamers pride themselves for looking beyond the theme, and that's easy because euros usually have themes that don't relate much to the mechanics. What they like are elegant rule systems that offer strategy without lots of complex rules. The thing is, if you look at the actual mechanics for SH you have a very streamlined system that plays fast while offering lots of tactical options. Common complains vs. AT like game length, downtime and complexity of the rules, fiddliness, etc... all disappear when you look at SH.

That's why this game has a more universal appeal than most other AT titles. Because even though it nails the theme and it's full of immersion, it manages to do this without a complex rulebook full of exceptions and in a short playing time.

The way I see the ratings, no game and every game deserves the top spot. It just depends on who's voting, and that makes the ranking pretty much useless for me, as my tastes seem to differ a lot from the BGG "average". In that light, I don't care if Agricola goes down, but I think it's going to be lots of fun when SH reaches the top

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know folks who would be just as put off with Puerto Rico/Agricola as some would be with Space Hulk. Euros can just as easily be dismissed as dry and boring as SH (or AT's in general) can be as something nerdy or childish.

What I meant to say was that with SH high on the ranking list you have broader chances of drawing people to this hobby. Combined "forces" of Agricola and Hulk are much more appealing then a much drier combo of Puerto Rico, Agricola and Power Grid. And SH can draw younger audience, sure, but that younger audience grows up eventually. Hey, if I haven't played Space Crusade yonks ago I'm not really sure I would have such a sizeable collection of Euros nowadays..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
What I meant to say was that with SH high on the ranking list you have broader chances of drawing people to this hobby. Combined "forces" of Agricola and Hulk are much more appealing then a much drier combo of Puerto Rico, Agricola and Power Grid.

Ah. Well that is VERY true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.