Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After several attempts, I think I've finally created a game I can really put out there and be proud of. The only problem is, it needs a theme to go with it. (It has one now, but I'd like to consider other possibilities.)

Here is a brief breakdown of the game:

- It has a board with many different spots on it. The connections from one spot to another are of varying types, so players need to collect cards to be able to travel on a type of connection.
- Each spot has one or more items on it that the player is trying to collect. If they move onto the spot, they can collect an item there.
- At the starting spot, the players can draw a card with a goal, which is a set of items that need to be collected. The player can, over the course of a few turns, take on a few goals at a time. However, each of these goals has a drawback for as long as you have it. For example, this one may not allow you to go to spots E and J. This one may not allow you to travel on connections of type X, etc.

I've tried to phrase the above as generically as possible. I can share the current theme and some other ideas I've had if you guys would like, but I would love to hear what kind of theme comes to mind without any preset ideas.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm relatively new to this forum, and it's been wonderfully useful and fun so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely go with the spread of Swine Flu, with various forms of transmission being connections and the items being victims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scavenger hunt
Assemble a device behind enemy lines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evan fitzgerald
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like "scavenger hunt" or "road rally" thing for sure.

You could make it a cooking theme with recipes and spots being different appliances. IDK.

You could do education. spots are classes, cards give pre-requisites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick OLeary
United States
Roosevelt
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about some some train/cargo system? Collecting cargo is the goal, and certain trains can only carry certain types of cargo which would take care of your limitation. And you would need a permit to put your train on certain tracks which would take care of the cards the players need.

I know trains have been done to death but it's the first thing that pops into my head.

Sounds like a cool game, though. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rutz
United States
Onalaska
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be traveling through space a/o time to other planets, universes, and even alternate dimensions via worm holes. You would need particular cards (skills/supplies/abilities) to travel to these other worlds and/or alternate realities to collect the various items you need to accomplish your goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Manning
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
> Rescuing POW's from behind enemy lines
> Spy Game - Destroy the Doomsday Device
> Hide and Seek
> Cthulhu: Sealing the Breach
> Train System (Obvious)
> Trading in the Old West

Just a few off the top of my head

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
Transportation networks from before the Civil War: turnpikes (tarred roads), canals, railroads, etc....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throw in some combat mechanics and make it a dungeoncrawl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. My initial thought was along the lines of "scavenger hunt", although thoughts of bounty hunters came to mind as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Walker
United Kingdom
Liss
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about an evolution theme ? It's a bit of a stretch but hey .....

You are a mammal and you're trying to evolve in time to face the coming ice age.

- The goals are niches in the ecology
- The spots are current environments (e.g. ocean, forest, plains)
- The items are adaptions to each environment (e.g. fur, claws, snorkel etc)

To gain access to a niche requires varying quantities or types of items/adaptions
Niches influence how far (or if) you can travel on the board to other spots/environments (where you can gain other items)

Example:
First Goal = become a simple predator (mole)
Min requirements = teeth, legs
Benefits = extra movement (legs)
Drawbacks = cannot travel to or through water/swamp environments

Second goal = hibernation
Min requirements = food hoarding, fat storage
Benefits = bonus at end of game
Drawbacks = reduces 'speed' or limits range as it needs time to gather food

At the end of the game, add up the goals achieved, get bonuses for specific ice age adaptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirates, Orcs, & Zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoffeur wrote:
How about an evolution theme ? It's a bit of a stretch but hey .....
This is very cool. It's "more" than I have in mind for this game, but the wheels in my mind are turning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stormer Jr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
multi-dimension exploration for something. (Gold, power, cure, scavager hunt in SPACE), goal limit how they can move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paper Trails: The game where You get it through the system! (bureaucracy)

Scientific Discover! (On a side note, you could use this system as a tech tree for a larger game, perhaps colonizing and teraforming a planet. While you are developing a system, you are not implementing it; e.g. developing new crops for the planet uses all your greenhouse space for growing food, developing new vaccines for alien diseases uses all your doctors.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Xalabarde
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I can't stop but think of Futurama when I read this. I know you'd need the rights, but it'd be really cool if it was set with Fry, Leela and Bender trying to deliver different things through space, and weird/funny events typical from the tv show on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the first nice theme that came to my mind was the inca messengers:

To help rule their vast empire the Incas created an efficient network of roads. The Incas also made rope suspension bridges. As well as the roads the Incas had messengers called chasquis. Messages were carried by relay. Groups of messengers lived in houses by main roads and at all times two of them kept lookout. If they saw another messenger approaching one of them would run to meet him. The two messengers would run together for a while and the message was passed on from one man to the other. Using this relay system messages could be sent over long distances very quickly. Inca messengers could take messages 240 kilometres in one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schachtelhalm
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artefact hunter for various organisations.
If you do a mission for an organisation you have to stick to their rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nevill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Prison Break?

To get the bits you need to get out you need to slowly work out which prisoners will trade certain pieces to aid your escape. Each prisoner will trade something for something else. You can also trade with other players - none of you know how the other intends to escape and you may be giving them the vital piece in their own escape kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
different types of communication, where the spots would be things like a cell phone, a television, a radio, a computer, a walkie talkie, satellite dish, etc. and the types of connections between them could be radio waves, fiber optic cables, telephone wires, morse code...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Collecting mushrooms in a dark forest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoffeur wrote:
How about an evolution theme ?
I love this idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.