Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kenrick,

Thanks for the compliment.

The comparison with RAF, which is my favourite game of all time, is especially dear to my heart...

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wright
United Kingdom
Falmouth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan,
I dont want to hijack this thread - but Im really hoping to have this for the weekend(wife is away!!!). Any forecast on a delivery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy also arrived today (cheers Dan) and superlatives fail me. As has been previously mentioned in this thread a qualitative and presentation benchmark has certainly been set by this game. My paternity leave starts next Monday so I am going to find a little bolt hole in the house where I hope to get the opportunity to play this beauty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Martin,

Unfortunately, becuase of our delivery schedules its unlikely to be with you until the start of next week.

Apologies, but we're rushing to get them out the door, and demand is pretty high at the moment.

I'll drop you a line as soon as it's gone.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Paul,

Thanks.

Hope you get the space to enjoy it!

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hirsty9Owls wrote:
My paternity leave starts next Monday so I am going to find a little bolt hole in the house where I hope to get the opportunity to play this beauty with the baby.

I corrected the quote above for you in case your employer somehow ends up reading this forum... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Sergerie
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree. I received this huge box from the UK, I didn't know this was going to be this big! The game looks amazing. I read the rules a while back, I'll read them again (I forgot how to play!) and will have a go at it.

Great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy today. I too am astonished by the size and quality of the components it is truly a labour of love. I am desperate to get into it but it will have to wait till tomorrow.

Congratulations on a job extremly well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing everyone receiving their copies worldwide really makes me hope mine will arrive in Singapore soon... hopefully in time for this weekend! I have no doubt the quality of the game having followed its development in the last few months after happily stumbling onto it by chance through the website banners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz Eggert
Germany
Munich/Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan,
Your game is absolutely fantastic - I am another happy customer who is duly impressed by the quality of the design (also the excellent graphic design) the level of research, the uniqueness of the theme and the general playability. You have truly created one of the masterpieces of solitaire gaming, congratulations!
Rest assured that I will watch your future exploits.
These are some minor improvement suggestions that came through my experience playing the game:

1) The rules are downright excellent and there is very little to complain about. I just would suggest that the rules follow the same order as the sequence of play. The introductory paragraph seems to recommend that, and then I became confused by reading about things that only appeared later in the sequence. There is a little back and forth page flipping involved here - granted, once the system is assimilated one has to look up very little, but for starting players this could be an improvement.

2) even though I really like the extra booklet coming with the event cards it would be great to have some abbreviated short reminder of ongoing effects like mines, etc. on the cards themselves just so one doesn't have to look through several paragraphs each turn to check these effects.

3) Although the counters are great (and of high quality) I feel that there are some unnecessary ones (ok, it's better to have too many counters than too few like in other games :-).
For example I never needed the range counters for ship-to-air combat - after understanding the system I simply located the best "spotting" ship, tried my spotting rolls at various ranges and then had every ship fire once at it's best combat table once the attacking planes were spotted.
Also it was easier memorizing the "to-hit" numbers of attacking planes and then roll the dice. Perhaps both these procedures could have profited from a chart on the board instead of handling the counters. Also the weather counters were a bit awkward to use - why not have a weather chart with one single chit to indicate the current weather?

Please see these as very minor complaints/suggestions - enjoyment of the game was not in the least prevented by them. As it is the game is absolutely up there with the highest quality wargames I have ever seen. I am still blown away by it and will recommend it to anybody (I will also do a feature on it for "Point to Point" podcast in the near future).
Again, congratulations for this fantastic game!

Moritz (Eggo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Moritz,

Thanks for the comments.

a) Rules. I think that's fair. If we did it again I'd move the Naval Sequences towards the front. I think in an earlier version of the game I was intending for naval attacks to follow the air attacks, and then it never got changed in the rules sequencing.

b) The Cards is a amtter of taste, I think. In a number of games I've played the card effects are essentially limited by the size of the text the desinger could get on the card. And the booklet is relatively simple to follow. But I think in future games I'll look to have some reminder of the impact on the card itself.

c) Counters. I personally don't use all the range counters either, although with major attacks, I find it's quite useful to have the Radar Lock markers. In this instance I think it's always best to err on the side of caution, and go for more, rather than less. I personally find it very frustrating when games don't provide enough status markers.

All good, constructive critcism though, and I'm glad you like it!

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, I agree with Moritz wholeheartedly. Not having the rulebook in turn sequence is about the worst I can say about the game. The cover is nearly dropping off mine from all the flicking backwards and forwards in just my first game. I may have to get it ringbound just to preserve it. Yes the weather chart/counters can also be improved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Russell,

I think it'll probably get a lot easier with a few plays, but it's a fair point as I say.

The weather chits were done that way to give players the option of 'randomizing' the weather even more by drawing individual chits, rather than rolling.

But all good, constructive feedback.

Dan

p.s. right, off to start work on designing a WTID ring binder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Dan. The player aids are very good, but I was thinking of trying to produce a dice summary sheet to show the right dice in the right place eg Nimrod check 1-2 on d6, weather 2d6, Air raid < AEA on d10 (per raid) etc. I've got the flow of what happens but just keep having to check each die roll in the manual. Of course I still have the landings to come.

Also possible error/typo at the very end of chapter 6, it says if there are no British Harriers in the air then go to chapter 11 surface to air combat, i think it should actually be chapter 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Russell,

Thats' a nice idea actually.

A single summary sheet which shows the key rolls would work well.

I'll have a chat with Mark about that.

Also, one of the other players has done this fantastic flow chart which shows how the options play through. I need to run through it to check it out, but if it's OK with him we might put both up for download on the web site.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even better if you and Mark do it...remember to do it in turn sequence order!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.