Chad G
United States
Overland Park
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note buyer beware. The Gladiator, Amazon, Swashbuckler and all terribly out of scale when stood next to the other figures. Really poor quality control on the design of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I never noticed that. But, I must ask, why does it matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadnaut wrote:
Hmmm. I never noticed that. But, I must ask, why does it matter?
Ditto. Hardly a "buyer beware" kind of a thing.

I wonder if the Toad is really as large as it looks or if it is also out of scale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad G
United States
Overland Park
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it matter? Let me restate that questions, "hey, why don't we use a top hat, a battleship, and a thimble as tokens?

All of the figures are going to march around the board, in order to have the flavor of the game and visual comparison and unity of appearance it matters. I note that all of the original figures were in scale. Obviously that was intentional and the way to do it. This is really poor performance by fantasy flight which normally is top of the line when it comes to artistic quality.

Check out the small head of the helmeted head of the gladiator. It's like a comic strip figure. The scale is even inconsistent within the limbs of the same figure. The gladiator is only a hair taller than the dwarf figure from the original game.

It's just shoddy, and if the look of a game matters, which is the business model of Fantasy Flight Games, then this was a bad stumble.

I hope they can rebound and pick up their game for the expansion figures. Hopefully they go to the original sculptor or approving art director as they had a good sense of scale.

Chad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never noticed. Doesn't matter to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, at my house, the figures are regularly replaced with other minis. No one cares. That aint the kind of game Talisman is.

And lets not get started on the My Little Pony mule ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelein de Cratia
Spain
Guayota City
Nivaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the scale is very important to the "feel" of any game. If not, put a meeple and some little stones on the board. The same, isn´t it? I pay for good materials, and like a buyer I need some respect. The scalation of the figures is some kind of respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
pelein wrote:
I think the scale is very important to the "feel" of any game.

In a roll and move game where the spaces are all square, I think that feel is already gone. If it were a Miniatures game, sure. But it aint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was and still am a cardboard-preferrer myself. But FFG went with figures, so that's what we use.

Thing I did notice that bugs me about the Dungeon expansion is that the character cards are a deeper shade of red, making them distinguishable from the base + Reaper ones. Similarly, the Adventure and Spell cards are longer than the base and Reaper ones, so they stick out of the decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

It does not bother me (and I am picky ), but in the sheme of things....this games does not require such acute precision in the models.

Where is my ruler ! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use other miniatures which i collect, so it does not bother me at all. As for the color of the cards, consistency is preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budrou784 wrote:
Note buyer beware. The Gladiator, Amazon, Swashbuckler and all terribly out of scale when stood next to the other figures. Really poor quality control on the design of them.

You think those miniatures are short? Check out the Necromancer and the Warlock in Frostmarch! They are even shorter...

I agree that scale is not a game breaker with Talisman, BUT there should be some level of consistency with ALL components in a game and it's expansions. FFG have dropped the ball with the miniatures in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's maybe worth pointing out that the figures in the base game are NOT to scale with each other either - they're clearly scaled to the illustrations. So the Dwarf you will notice is crouching - if he were standing up he'd be a giant, and taller than almost all the other figures. Likewise, how big would the Minstrel be if standing straight, and maybe if the Priest were a little shorter, he wouldn't appear to have such a freakishly large head.

Having started out this way, there's clearly no point in FFG going back and remoulding all the figures, of which the overall quality besides the issue of scale, is very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Point well taken James, and I did look at the poses of the figures myself before posting. The Necromancer is standing straight upright, as is the Warlock. The Necromancer is wayyyy shorter than the Warlock, and both are shorter than any human figure standing in a non-action pose from the previous releases.

I think the point to note here is that the figures seem to be getting smaller with each successive release. This is what the OP was talking about and I went further to mention that the problem is ongoing in Frostmarch.

Nobody said the figures ever had to be (or are) to scale, but one human should be around about the same height as another don't you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrat wrote:
but one human should be around about the same height as another don't you think?

I'll remember to tell that to the boys down at the local jockey club. They'll be shattered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jininthenet wrote:
I use other miniatures which i collect, so it does not bother me at all. As for the color of the cards, consistency is preferred.

A prefer the 2nd ed. Minis!
Long oop, which is a shame.
They a detailed, humorous and - all in scale!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.