Popular Tags: [View All]
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you like racing? Yes, of course you do! Why? Because it is fun and exciting! That was one of the reasons I decided to try FFFF.
Last night we had our first game of Fast Forest Flowing Fellers. We are newbies (I and my family) and recently purchased some new games. When I chose what I was going to order I knew among some other games I wanted to pick a light filler; a game we can learn easily and will be fun to play with our two sons who are 12 and 9 years old.
How did I find out about FFFF? I read about it in this great Pictorial Overview :http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/440416

We were excited to open up the box. A very pleasant looking boardgame with attractive cards and well made components.
I read the rule book beforehand and the Pictorial Overview so that I will be ready to teach my sons and myself the game.
The two resources complement each other very well (not that the rule booklet is not good enough but it is nice to have the Pictorial Overview alongside for a newby like me).
When I was a child we used to play racing boardgames but those were more boring (usually with dice) and the artwork was not that nice either. Also, most of them did not have a theme either.

So off we go, after school my sons finished their homework and the three of us sat down to have our first game.

I explained them the rules and then we started the race. They chose their own colour, red and blue and I was with the yellow lumberjacks.
Starting the race I and my elder son raced neck and neck but then my younger son caught up quickly.
We were not too lenient to each other so we did quite a lot of shoving and log moving. When I shoved my younger son's lumberjack he told me: "Thank you. Next time it will be my turn". And indeed, very soon he grabbed the opportunity to shove one of my lumberjacks way back on the board.
All this "mischief" made our game more exciting and more fun.
At times there was heavy traffic jam on the river and I could hear comments like "Oh, where do I go now? I am stuck!"
There is quite a lot of luck element in the game but you still have to think ahead and have to apply strategy.
I was happy to see my sons concentrating and trying to make the best possible move.

At the beginning we had to remind each other that the cards correspond with the male and female lumberjacks.
Of course, we took advantage of the wild card as well! The cute beaver proved to be really useful!
My sons enjoyed the theme, racing down the river, and the happy and cheerful guys on the cards.
It was a tight race. At one point my younger son's male lumberjack got really behind but then he quickly caught up with the other competitors.
They made pretty good choices but it was still mum who won! By the time I finished the race both my sons' two lumberjacks got off the board so they were not much behind.
I think next time we will be even more "vicious" to each other. In our next game we might try one of the the more difficult board combinations where you have more logs on the board so you will likely to have more traffic jams. Of course, we should not forget that the aim of the game is to flow down the river first.Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.