Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the vast majority of the users owning this game are from Poland, I feel confident to ask a question regarding the original rules.

The English rules here on GeekDo (courtesy of stalkeroi) state that when a fox is rolled, you lose all the rabbits, and when a wolf is rolled, you lose all the animals except for horses and small dogs. However, the rules in the recent Italian edition (translated from Granna 'Jubileuszowe wydanie Superfarmera') state that when a fox is rolled, you lose all the rabbits except for one, and when a wolf is rolled, you lose all the animals except for rabbits and horses (therefore losing your small dog also).

Which rules are correct? Have the rules been changed in the most recent edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Derwiński
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
1st Independent Parachute Brigade
mbmbmbmbmb
In my version (not the latest) it was like in stalkeroi's version - of course you didn't mention that small dog saves you from the fox and big dog from the wolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morvael wrote:
In my version (not the latest) it was like in stalkeroi's version - of course you didn't mention that small dog saves you from the fox and big dog from the wolf.

Yup, I should have added "dogs notwithstanding".

Anyway, I wonder why the change. With the new rules, exchanging an animal for animals of lower value seems not so useful, since you never lose all of your rabbits, and you can rebuild your rabbit base quite fast even with a single rabbit...

Edit: I see now that the rules for setup changed also. With the old rules, you start with no animals, and need to roll a double to get that animal. With the new rules, you start with one rabbit – and that's an improvement, in my opinion (get in the action more quickly, less luck-depending). The new rules about dogs match the setup rules, in that you never start clean of rabbits, but decrease the usefulness of 'downgrading' the animals...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Wojcik
Poland
Kraków(Cracow)
Malopolska
flag msg tools
designer
I very much like designing games but I think I prefer to play them.
badge
Metallum ... game I most proud of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both versions of the game. Indeed in recent updated version the rules were slightly modified and I think both should be consider correct. I guess the older rules are closer to the ones originally developed by Borsuk during WWII.

For me I prefer the new rules as they speed up the game and remove the problem of player being stuck with no animals for several turns. I agree that they make changing sheep to rabbits less important but still it is worth considering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Ciborowska
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
I have a version from 1997 and I have never noticed that there are some new rules... so wow, there is the new way to play that game! But as I learned one way (that "old" version, when you start with nothing), I don't know if I will try the other one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lindén
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please explain why the new rules would make it less useful to exchange sheep for rabbits? I'm not sure I understand the core tactics of this game but from what I can see with the new rules having a small dog would keep your rabbits safe (because the wolf can't touch them). Therefore it seems more useful to me to get a small dog as soon as possible and then try to build up a rabbit farm, ensuring high revenue on each rabbit roll (exchanging sheep for rabbits if necessary).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.