Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I think this is my first post on the Recs forum.
A friend of mine feels ready to make her first modern game purchase! She says she likes the tile-laying of Tikal, and the sense of building up and developing she gets in Catan. She had a little AP in Tikal though. I thought she might enjoy Mexica, but I wanted to get some other opinions on potential games as well.
I showed her photos of Torres, but she wasn't into the whole tower-building part of it.

She's probably played ~10 games so far, so she's still a relatively new gamer. She's played Carcassonne, but I own that one and she wants to get one I don't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Fjords. It has a tile-laying phase that includes claiming territory, then a second phase that continues the area control. Surprisingly vicious and brain burning for a quick little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe check out Taluva. It's a 3D tile laying game.

In Alhambra, players build up their own palace of tiles.

In The Hanging Gardens, players lay tiles on top of each other to make gardens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Well I think this is my first post on the Recs forum.
A friend of mine feels ready to make her first modern game purchase! She says she likes the tile-laying of Tikal, and the sense of building up and developing she gets in Catan. She had a little AP in Tikal though. I thought she might enjoy Mexica, but I wanted to get some other opinions on potential games as well.
I showed her photos of Torres, but she wasn't into the whole tower-building part of it.

She's probably played ~10 games so far, so she's still a relatively new gamer. She's played Carcassonne, but I own that one and she wants to get one I don't have.

Mexica is an excellent area control game.

Big City (out of print)

Chinatown (tile-laying game)

Utopia (area control)

Attika (tile-laying)

Age of Mythology

Arkadia (tile-laying)

Agricola (some tile-laying)

Tower-building games (which you say she doesn't like):

Manhattan

Capitol
(area control)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With beginners, I've had some good success with Aquädukt. There are many fun choices and the games moves pretty quickly compared to Tikal. It's those darn action points that slow things down... In Aquädukt you only make one decision at a time. There is an element of luck though which is great for beginners but seems to upset hard core gamers. I personally have no issue with it.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam maybe? The basic game's pretty fun.

If she likes Carcassonne, maybe one of the other versions of it like Carcassonne: The Castle (for 2 players) or Carcassonne: The City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Taluva, Alhambra, The Hanging Gardens,Attika, are what jump to my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
With beginners, I've had some good success with Aquädukt...

I've had good luck with this game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra is a great example of this - just enough more than Carcassonne to consider it a step up in complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agricola Really??
In the sense that you lay a pice of cardboard down, I suppose, but probably a way too heavy suggestion for someone who gets AP with Tikal.
I hope that was tongue in cheek.
By that token, I suppose Smallworld would qualify??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the vote of pdoherty for Alhambra. SDJ-Winner, so You have some assurance it works with a wide audience. Tom Vasel did a video review, so You might want to check that out.

A game that is not often mentioned but also a SDJ-Winner and should be checked out by You is Wacky Wacky West. Its designer is Klaus Teuber btw, who is the father of the extremely successful Settlers of Catan game line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Elasund: The First City would be a good fit. Has a bit of Catan feel, but really plays totally differently, and involves laying down building tiles to build a city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also quite like Fjords which was mentioned earlier, and I would emphasize that in this case "vicious" is a good thing.
Another suggestion is Gheos which is also relatively quick and ruthless. You don't "own" any of the five civilizations, but you in a sense invest in them, so it might be in your best interest to say sabotage the green civilization in support of the red one, and later in the game do the exact opposite. So it can be "mean", which is either a good thing or a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy P
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vegas Showdown, maybe? (No clue how difficult it would be to find - I think it's out of print).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all these suggestions, you guys are awesome! Hanging Gardens is particularly promising, as her Master's and her current job are both related to plants. Aquadukt, Alhambra and Taluva all look and sound particularly promising as well. Anyway I will pass all of these ideas on to her so she can choose one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us know what you eventually select and what your impressions are of the game when you try it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Streetcar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.