Hide
5 Posts

War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Heroic Death Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy He
msg tools
Ok so my friend has a different interpretation to the battle card heroic death. he thinks that he should be able to sacrifice a companion in the fellowship and he thinks that the companion doesn't need to participate in the battle in order for him to be able to do it even if the companion is in a different area or still in the fellowship..

i can not find a specific rule that invalidates what he says.. i think you should only be able to sacrifice those who are in the battle..

does anyone know where i can find a specific rule to invalidate what he says? or at the very least some logic or better rule interpretation?

thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules lawyerism at worst. Tell your friend that he should be ashamed of himself to even think something like that. Tell him to use some common sense. He's wrong.

However I can't find the specific rule either, although I'm 100% sure you can't use companions in a battle in any way if they are still in the fellowship.

Best i could find right now was in the FAQ "the Fellowship, and any Companions still in the Fellowship, cannot be destroyed in combat."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
Rules lawyerism at worst. Tell your friend that he should be ashamed of himself to even think something like that. Tell him to use some common sense. He's wrong.

However I can't find the specific rule either, although I'm 100% sure you can't use companions in a battle in any way if they are still in the fellowship.

Best i could find right now was in the FAQ "the Fellowship, and any Companions still in the Fellowship, cannot be destroyed in combat."

If this were a certain Finnish icehockey forum, people would suggest you give your friend some skirt fabric .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack! this is just crazy talk--killing off a companion on the other side of the board. This shouldn't even be classified as "rules lawyering".

In addition to the above, how about this:

Rule 7:Army Composition defines an Army as "all friendly Army units inside a single Region." Next, Attacking With Armies says that "An Army is allowed to attack an enemy Army." Then under Removing Casualties, "The number of hits your opponent scored will determine the number of casualties that your Army must take." This certainly implies that the losses come from your army that was involved in the battle and not some random army. Combat cards merely substitute a leader/companion for a regular/elite units.

This is worse than my opponent arguing that Rivendell is "within two Regions of Moria." His specious argument was something along the lines of since there are 2 numbers between "0" and "3", "within two" really means something 3 spaces away??! Ack! I like a competitive game, but seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy He
msg tools
Haha! thank you for the comments guys! i read him all of your words and he finally conceded that he was just desperate for a victory (of which he did not receive!)!

:-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.