Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick word, if you have a DS or DSI, you owe it to yourself to try out Scribblenauts. It's one of the most innovative games I've ever played, and it's highly addictive!

Highly, highly recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What should I get if I have an Advance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
What should I get if I have an Advance?

I only have an Advance SP. So I borrow a DS from one of my kids when I want to play something on it.

Spoiled kids with their fancy DSes...

And yes, I've been looking forward to Scribblenauts. It sounds awesome, even moreso than rolling doubles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
Just a quick word, if you have a DS or DSI, you owe it to yourself to try out Scribblenauts. It's one of the most innovative games I've ever played, and it's highly addictive!

Highly, highly recommended!

MAKEblankDSI.....darn, nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it at a friend's DS. AMAZING!

KRAKEN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
[c]
[hamzy@hamzy2 ~]$ make DSI
make: *** No rule to make target `DSI'. Stop.
[hamzy@hamzy2 ~]$ yum search DSI
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
=========================================================== Matched: DSI ===========================================================
toped.i686 : VLSI IC Layout Editor
[c]

What's this about VLSI?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I'm firing my copy up for the first time in a half hour for the subway ride home.

In the mean time, here's a pic I took of the free hat that came with the game pre-order:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Yup, I'm firing my copy up for the first time in a half hour for the subway ride home.

In the mean time, here's a pic I took of the free hat that came with the game pre-order:

I donned my hat and took a picture of myself in it, just to send to my wife. But no one, NO ONE, no one besides her will ever see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
[c]
[hamzy@hamzy2 ~]$ make DSI
make: *** No rule to make target `DSI'. Stop.
[hamzy@hamzy2 ~]$ yum search DSI
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
=========================================================== Matched: DSI ===========================================================
toped.i686 : VLSI IC Layout Editor
[c]

What's this about VLSI?

Well, that's easy for YOU to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I preordered - didn't get a hat.

Oh try

Cthulhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted I don't have a DS...

But put in:

DINGO

Then:

BABY

Trust me, its worth it.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Birchall
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"BOARDGAME" may not surprise you

"WORMHOLE [Intergalactic]" will

amazing game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised by the praise without caveats: The game has a great concept, but the execution breaks down in all kinds of places. Are puzzles really supposed to be about finding the widest possible item out there so that you can use it to cross gaps in areas too small for a pegasus? There's also the poor controls, and the bad, bad physics.

It's not so bad as for me to try to tell people to avoid it at all costs, but there's a big difference from the actual quality of the gameplay and the praise it's getting in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
I'm surprised by the praise without caveats: The game has a great concept, but the execution breaks down in all kinds of places. Are puzzles really supposed to be about finding the widest possible item out there so that you can use it to cross gaps in areas too small for a pegasus? There's also the poor controls, and the bad, bad physics.

It's not so bad as for me to try to tell people to avoid it at all costs, but there's a big difference from the actual quality of the gameplay and the praise it's getting in this thread.

Hmmm, that hasn't been my experience at all. Of course, no game is perfect, and neither is Scribblenauts. But despite some rough spots, and that's all I consider them to be - not game breakers at all, it's a fun and challenging game. It challenges the player to be creative in solving the puzzles, but doesn't actually REQUIRE it...I could just get a gun or slingshot and solve many of the puzzles, but I choose to find more creative, off-the-wall solutions.

Others' mileage may vary, as in all things...but I still highly recommend Scribblenauts as a fun, challenging, addictive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
hibikir wrote:

Hmmm, that hasn't been my experience at all. Of course, no game is perfect, and neither is Scribblenauts. But despite some rough spots, and that's all I consider them to be - not game breakers at all, it's a fun and challenging game. It challenges the player to be creative in solving the puzzles, but doesn't actually REQUIRE it...I could just get a gun or slingshot and solve many of the puzzles, but I choose to find more creative, off-the-wall solutions.

Others' mileage may vary, as in all things...but I still highly recommend Scribblenauts as a fun, challenging, addictive game.

You choose to find more creative solutions... and you don't find major problems in how the game is handled? Is that a joke or something?

So you are telling me that you don't find the fact that easily 20% of the puzzles involve getting through a wide chasm, many times with company, a flaw in level design? And how, 99% of the things you can think of to cross such a chasm will NOT work. The items end up being to small, and oddly shaped. Ask for an Airstrip, and all you get is a small building. The game, instead, rewards you by just examining items that the developers used themselves for mechanical reasons, like 'Large Steel Door Red', which happens to be wider than an island or a bridge, or a steel beam.

So there are no problems because the game designer's idea of what fits into a category and doesn't happens to be quite restrictive? Go on, try and see how many farm animals don't qualify as farm animals. Or how few options are accepted as wedding celebration items. Those levels are not about being creative, but about guessing what the developers found acceptable or not. That's not creativity, and it teaches player to go back to the same items again and again, not try something new

And you can't tell me that there's no problem with Rope physics? Or seeing how a race car pushes a wall or an iceberg forward? The decisions on weights and momentum seem almost completely random. I wish they had spent more time giving us a semblance of physics, and less time wasting their time adding Lolcats and rickrolls to the list of possible words.

The game has awful flaws, that some people might ignore, but for others will do major damage to their enjoyment of the game. That is why I thought your original comment was deceptive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I've been using the jetpack a lot and the grapple. But it's still fun. Not the greatest game ever made, but I applaud the effort and originality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
wait wait. Are we seriously complaining about real live physics on a game that is not a simulation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
jrbentley wrote:
hibikir wrote:

You choose to find more creative solutions... and you don't find major problems in how the game is handled? Is that a joke or something?

So you are telling me that you don't find the fact that easily 20% of the puzzles involve getting through a wide chasm, many times with company, a flaw in level design? And how, 99% of the things you can think of to cross such a chasm will NOT work. The items end up being to small, and oddly shaped. Ask for an Airstrip, and all you get is a small building. The game, instead, rewards you by just examining items that the developers used themselves for mechanical reasons, like 'Large Steel Door Red', which happens to be wider than an island or a bridge, or a steel beam.

So there are no problems because the game designer's idea of what fits into a category and doesn't happens to be quite restrictive? Go on, try and see how many farm animals don't qualify as farm animals. Or how few options are accepted as wedding celebration items. Those levels are not about being creative, but about guessing what the developers found acceptable or not. That's not creativity, and it teaches player to go back to the same items again and again, not try something new

And you can't tell me that there's no problem with Rope physics? Or seeing how a race car pushes a wall or an iceberg forward? The decisions on weights and momentum seem almost completely random. I wish they had spent more time giving us a semblance of physics, and less time wasting their time adding Lolcats and rickrolls to the list of possible words.

The game has awful flaws, that some people might ignore, but for others will do major damage to their enjoyment of the game. That is why I thought your original comment was deceptive.

If you don't like the game, by all means don't play it. But to call my original comment deceptive is just not right. I'm not trying to deceive ANYONE, I simply stated MY OPINION about the game.

I also said I know the game is not perfect...so I didn't give a point-by-point treatise on the game's flaws...you seem more than capable of providing that...

I'm playing the game within what I know are the limits of the game's programming and the limits of the hand-held device's capabilities. And I'm ENJOYING the game.

But I by NO MEANS am trying to deceive anyone about the game. Please point out where I said it is perfect.

I never expected (or even hoped) that anyone would rush out and buy the game just from reading my original post. I would hope that anyone interested in Scribblenauts would do some research on the internet, read reviews, and there ARE some that point out some of the game's flaws, and make up their own mind.

If I'd known I was going to be accused of being deceptive, I would have not even posted MY OPINION of the game in the first place. Good grief. If you don't like it, then put the thing down and don't play it. But don't attack others who do enjoy the game (for what it is). And please don't accuse me of trying to deceive others...that's just not true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

I was pretty excited for the game and it is a lot of fun, but it does have some issues. Moving Maxwell is one of the biggest ones for me and the other is the general inconsistency of the items that you can create. It's suprisingly difficult to predict what a bulldozer will let you do or how long a beam will be (this has already been mentioned), not to mention other differences in the thousands of items in the game. There are some physics issues, which have also been mentioned, and I can't seem to figure out why I can't glue something to a wall.

I seem to enjoy the game more just in the demo mode on the start screen. It's fun to just see what the game can do and what I can come up with. I'm also a bit frustrated that this game isn't as kid-friendly as I hoped. My eight-year-old has a harder time solving the puzzles than I expected, mainly because of the difficulty in getting Maxwell and the items to function. He has great ideas that should solve the puzzles, but they too often end up being overly difficult to get to function properly. Still, a neat little design and I hope it leads to similar, more refined games in this genre.

By the way, I also preordered and didn't get a hat. Heard about it later in the day. Maybe I was ripped off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.