Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ask this question if you knew someone who has played the game enough to know that they want to get started. Would you recommend that they get some of the exisiting boosters or wait for the new wave 4? Wave 4 stuff would certainly get them some good trades as it will be new to everyone. However, if your friend wanted to start one of the original 6 factions they would likely be able to find "extras" around that they can use to help build their force.

I have a feeling some of the teens from church might get a couple of boosters for Christmas this year. Should I recommend that their parents get them stuff from #1: Rise or from #4: Now.

I hope that makes sense.

The advantage of the old stuff is they do know it and might be able to find some deals though they can't buy anything "new" as easily. However, it is much easier to get exactly what you want except for the few key peices.

The advantage of the new stuff is ... well ... it is new! Everyone will be learning it and as I said they could find those trades. We do have a FLGS now that we will be attending monthly or more frequently than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, interesting question.

There are two factors to consider (I think)

1. What monster genre do you like? Dinosaurs? Robots? Martians? Giant Apes? Molemen? Etc. If there is a specific monster you like, that makes a good starting point, new or old.

2. What style of play do you like. We know that the Shadow Sun Syndicate is a fairly straight forward go out and beat up the bad guys, whereas the Lords of Cthul are a fairly subtle (and more difficult) faction to play. For this, we know a lot more about the old factions - the new are still mostly an unknown.

Whatever your choice, good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are two good options right now for getting into the game.

The first is starting with wave 4 since the factions are all new and they'd be "getting in on the ground floor". Ideally, get enough people together to split a case of monsters and a case of units (ex. three teens choose one faction each and you collect the other three factions). Online price would be $204 or $34 per faction. Even if you can't get enough together to split cases, collecting the newest set gives the teens a chance to trade with other players at the store who also didn't purchase or split a case.

The second option is to buy a full set of one of the original factions off of ebay. With the new factions coming out, some people are selling off some of the old factions in order to clear space or get money for the new pieces.

I would strongly recommend against buying boosters from sets 1-3 as there won't be anybody to trade with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PM sent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find out what they like, then get them that?

I know that sounds too easy, but really, it makes the most sense to me. If they really want to get into one of the new factions, Now should be out soon and boosters are always fun.

On the other hand, right now may be the best time to get into a series 1-3 faction, as I've seen lower eBay prices as people presumably begin to make room for their own Now collections. You can get sizable S1-3 collections, often grouped by faction, for prices that would fall below retail were you to buy boosters and get incredibly good luck on faction figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you to everyone for your responses. I think at least one of the players lurks here. I might point their parents this way and start the conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would update everyone here. Three of the teens have slowly bought stuff and are trading and begging for more things. We now have in our group: Shadow Sun Syndicate, Lords of Cthulu / Subterran (he's borrowing my Subterran), and Savage Swarm. I narrowly defeated Mantacon last Friday.

I have more teens that are interested in learning. I'm probably going to teach one how to use either Empire of the Apes (Gakura) or Elemental Champions (Aquosia) soon. Another really wants to learn Tritons. They'll both borrow my stuff.

We've found a local FLGS that hosts tournaments at least once a month that we have been attending. I hope everyone else can find a group or at least one other person that also enjoys this game and has time to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.