Popular Tags: [View All]
Thom Barchet
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is listed as 2-5 players. Does anyone have experience with this game with 2 players? I have heard positive experiences with 18Scan with 2 players, but no comments for 18VA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this comment is not helpful, but I'm very skeptical about any 2-player 18xx which isn't radically different from the rules standard. 18VA has some different capitalization rules and two types of trains, which isn't enough, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Breno, have you tried the 1825 units, or SoH, or any of other [non-state] small ones that do have a on-the-box rating of 2-player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine 1825 works as a two player game, from my single 3-player match I played of it. It's significantly different from the usual 18xx game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played couple of 1825 Unit 3 games - that's a pure two-player game and really works. I like it. I assume 1825 Unit 2 would make a good two-player game as well. 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight is based on 1825 and works well with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Wow, 3 for 3 among 18xx vets that 1825 does work well for 2 as designed (counting JC in 18EU on a similar topic). That's very encouraging.

On the topic of small/mini 18xx - is it straightforward to pnp an 1800 ? It's from issue #17 of Rail Gamer magazine, but I don't know how to get ahold of that, nor whether that's even the logical approach. [mail to dmodo18 at sgi.net bounced - that was the listing for the editor, somewhere or other. I'm aware of this informative link, but it's not PnP-ready.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jimb wrote:
Wow, 3 for 3 among 18xx vets that 1825 does work well for 2 as designed (counting JC in 18EU on a similar topic). That's very encouraging.

I have all three Units, the Regionals and all the kits (except for the money). I'll try and remember to drag them along next time we meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:

On the topic of small/mini 18xx - is it straightforward to pnp an 1800 ? It's from issue #17 of Rail Gamer magazine, but I don't know how to get ahold of that, nor whether that's even the logical approach. [mail to dmodo18 at sgi.net bounced - that was the listing for the editor, somewhere or other. I'm aware of this informative link, but it's not PnP-ready.]

Went that route as well - tried to track down a copy or via the publisher. Ended up making my own home brew copy based on the info at the link you posted. As author has asked that I not distribute materials for others to make copies, please don't request them.

-Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be possible to get in touch with the author to discuss how a copy could be gotten?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
thepackrat wrote:
RaDiKal wrote:
jimb wrote:

Went that route as well - tried to track down a copy or via the publisher. Ended up making my own home brew copy based on the info at the link you posted. As author has asked that I not distribute materials for others to make copies, please don't request them.
Would it be possible to get in touch with the author to discuss how a copy could be gotten?

Exactly - does the [1800] author offer some hints on how to acquire the game for cash, or does he just want it locked in the wayback machine for some reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
Exactly - does the author offer some hints on how to acquire the game for cash, or does he just want it locked in the wayback machine for some reason?

There might be interest by the author in selling a version. The one I created used artwork whose license did not allow their being sold. You'd still have to create a version worthy of sale and orchestrate getting that done.

-Ron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
Exactly - does the author offer some hints on how to acquire the game for cash, or does he just want it locked in the wayback machine for some reason?

Heron Games is the official supplier for Francis Tresham, the author of 1825. They occasionally stock the units.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/369646

You do realize these games are published as labors of love, right? Nobody is trying to lock them up in the wayback machine - they just have small print runs and limited distribution because it isn't Hasbro publishing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
jimb wrote:

Heron Games is the official supplier for Francis Tresham, the author of 1825. They occasionally stock the units.

You do realize these games are published as labors of love, right? Nobody is trying to lock them up in the wayback machine - they just have small print runs and limited distribution because it isn't Hasbro publishing them.

The reference to wayback was the aside related to finding a copy of 1800 - not 1825.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
TheCat wrote:
jimb wrote:

Of course, I have no problem ordering it, or canoeing around the world to get the tilehexes to laminate myself. I just thought 1800 was simply unavailable. (I already purchased the 1825s from Heron - but you meant 1800??)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
Breno, have you tried the 1825 units, or SoH, or any of other [non-state] small ones that do have a on-the-box rating of 2-player?

1825 works well as a 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
Of course, I have no problem ordering it, or canoeing around the world to get the tilehexes to laminate myself. I just thought 1800 was simply unavailable. (I already purchased the 1825s from Heron - but you meant 1800??)

Sorry, the referent was unclear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
TheCat wrote:
jimb wrote:
Of course.. but you meant 1800??

Sorry, the referent was unclear.

Ok, I filled in the quote context above.

It doesn't have to be for 'cash' though, that probably was a little american of me.
gulp
So - I could mow his lawn, walk his dog, mind his kids, take his mother-in-law on my pnp canoe trip - or, just buy him a few pints - just not sure how to get ahold of the 1800 game, or just the original Rail Gamer issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.