Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
I have a decent number of figures, so my stepson (14) and I both decided to draft entire entire teams and choose 700-point armies from them. I got Utgar and evil, choosing Doctor Doom, Krug, Shades of Bleakwood, Anubian Wolves, Khosumet, Me-Burq-Sa and the Dumutef Guard. I confess that I mainly got Doctor Doom because I wanted to speak in a stentorian voice all the time.

He picked Ullar and Vydar, with Spiderman, Braxas the black dragon, the Venoc Vipers and the Elite Onyx Vipers, the Warriors of Ashra, Theracus the gryphon, and Syvarris. The map was a bit complicated, with the two of us on opposite sides of a river with a bridge crossing, and a small castle overlooking the bridge. We also played with a variant where you couldn't put more than one order on a card.

We both had our eye on various glyphs: Amory (my stepson) immediately moved an Elite Viper onto the +2 movement glyph, while I moved a Shade onto the Wind Glyph that prevented flying, figuring it would be worth it if Doom had to walk, as long as the acidic Braxas was also grounded and Theracus couldn't carry Syvarris to the castle. Doom climbed onto the bridge by a ladder, trying his best to look dignified, and tried unsuccessfully to blast one of the vipers on the other side. ("Ha! Doom would not deign to waste time upon a paltry snake if more worthy targets were in range.") The other part of my strategy was to use Me-Burq-Sa to grab the Lucky D20 glyph, since most of my units used a D20 (and it looked like it would be especially useful for the wolves).

Even grounded, Amory's Braxas the dragon was impressive, as he rushed around the river's headwaters and began spraying acid around. He wasn't terribly lucky, but did manage to take out an Anubian Wolf.

Turn 2, his Warriors of Ashra rushed the bridge, taking out the Shade on the Wind glyph and getting in a hit on Doom.

Then, Doom took his second turn. He managed to blast one of the women attacking him, ("You dare to attack the monarch of Latveria?! Then DIE, woman!") Then, with a call of "Doom will now show the full power of his invicible plans!" I rolled the D20 for Doom's special Mind Exchange vs Braxas.

I rolled a 20.

Under Doom's command, Braxas moved back to the enemy camp and began spraying his acid everywhere. First I rolled for a Venoc Viper. 20. Then Syvarris. 18. And finally, good's best unit aside from Braxas himself, Spiderman -- 20. What a pity, Spidey-sense only works if a skull is rolled.

Seeing him lose 260 points in a single turn, I accepted Amory's surrender. Fortunately, he was a gracious loser, and is eager to play again. One thing, though, has been definitively established ---

ALL MUST TREMBLE BEFORE THE MIGHT OF DOOM!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The odds of rolling 18+ on four consecutive dice are ~ 1 in 2000, and if any must be 20s it gets worse. You were on a serious tear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luck doesn´t understand odds, it is just good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom is Invincible: Unless attacked by Squirrel Girl:D

Archaic refference to old marvel character that defeated doom, thantos, and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.