Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
3 Points for all favors? Sounds like the beginner's version is it? I have never tried that version. But I would expect this to inflate the scores significantly beyond normal as long as you also managed to get the construction buildings out (carpenter, mason, lawyer and architect), use them regularly to fill the path with buildings - collecting those points as well, and particularly if you consistently pulled the provost back to create a longer game in which to collect more points. Given all of these factors, these scores don't seem surprising to me.

Ties are rare in the real version, however ... which actually makes them somewhat enjoyable in Caylus IMHO e.g. "Hey, a tie! Cool!"

I feel it's worth it for every gamer to give Caylus an honest try (perhaps 2 complete games with at least one player who knows the rules well) before passing judgment. It's a love-it-or-hate it affair, but if you hate it, at least you don't have to play it again and if you love it... well then your small amount of initial effort will pay off a hundred-fold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife opts for the 'simple strategy first' tactic with Caylus, by simply grabbing all available resources and building farms to grab even more still.

In theory, this means I should comfortably beat her with clever use of one-stop castle building, the joust field and stonemason, however the master-stroke in her strategy is relying on me miscalculating how many cubes I need at the end of my turn after about the fourth round or so, and resigning in disgust.

We don't play it very much any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
124 is actually a below average score for online play, with 2 players. I think my high score is 250 or so. That said, I have played games where both players score under 100 points and games where both score 200+ points. Your score isn't an indicator of skill (other than in relation to your opponent's score) because the game can unfold in many ways. If there are a lot of cubes available and both players are constantly fighting at the Castle, then the game will end quickly when the last Castle batch is delivered. In this case scores will be relatively low. If there are fewer cubes on the board and the Lawyer is out early then players will focus less with Castle building and more on building prestige buildings. This will typically lead to a game with more turns played and very high scores.

I also don't think getting 3 points for every favor instead of choosing a favor yields more points in the long run. I see many players hit the point track, after it is a the max of 5, multiple times before the game ends. Likewise the building track allows players to build wood and stone buildings for only 1 cube. A good wood building is worth 4 point and a good stone building is worth 6 points (after the stone farms of course). Also, each time your opponent plays on a building you own you get a point, so these building earn you even more points over the course of the game.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the game and that your wife doesn't hate it. It took me many plays before I truly appreciated Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sinclair
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad she stuck with it. I think this is a game that gets more fun the further you get into it. Finding a game that has some depth of strategy and "grabs" you right away is rare IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.