Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that for closing, I determine the nearest enemy by choosing the corner farthest from a given enemy unit and measuring to their corresponding corner. If I have two enemies some distance away from me who happen to be pretty close to each other on the same horizontal plane, how do I know which corner of my unit's is to be considered the closest to either of the enemies'?

In this diagram, A and B are the enemies, and my unit is C. For the purposes of this question:

A and B are considered to have their front edges lined up with each other on the same horizontal plane.

A and B have their front edges parallel with C.

C is not considered to be equally between A and B. Even if it's only a little bit, it is definitely shifted to the left or right a bit. Maybe that matters, maybe it doesn't.

Thanks to geometry, I presume that lines 1 and 3 are parallel with each other and that they are also the same length. I also assume the same for lines 2 and 4. So the question is, which of these lines is used to determine the farthest corner for their respective units?

I could be overthinking it. Maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, as a side question: When the rules say "directly towards", I presume they mean the shortest distance between center points of the facing edges of the two units. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeljko
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UvulaBob wrote:
Also, as a side question: When the rules say "directly towards", I presume they mean the shortest distance between center points of the facing edges of the two units. Is that correct?

Yes. At least, that's the way I understood it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeljko
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Closest enemy will be MIN(MAX(2,4),MAX(1,3)).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the lines drawn right?

It says the corner of the front side of the moving unit that is farthest from the target unit to the corresponding corner of the target unit.

To me, this would mean the corner on "C" in the upper left corner should be linking to where you have line 4 linking to unit "B." The same for line 1 and 3. So you would actually only have two lines.

This becomes clearer if you look on p.17 of the 2.4 rules where they actually have the lines drawn out. In that case you are looking at a front edge to flank move, but the ideas are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Springer
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So,. the question is: when all three units have their front edges parallel to each other, which corner is considered "farthest" from a given unit?

If they're all truly parallel, then it probably doesn't matter since geometry dictates that 1 and 2 are parallel to 3 and 4, respectively. It would make much more sense were unit C turned, say 20 degrees to the left. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe GEOMETRY'S wrong! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe if all things are equal you can take your pick...unless your opponent plays the Command Card "Analysis Paralysis - Unit commander paralyzed for one turn and unable to move/attack due to indecisiveness"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeljko
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UvulaBob wrote:
So,. the question is: when all three units have their front edges parallel to each other, which corner is considered "farthest" from a given unit?

Just in case you did not understand my mathematical answer, here it is:

All enemies are out of final rush range. You want to determine closest enemy to move towards him.

Both enemies are clearly visible. Facing side is determined for both of them. Now, here comes what is in page 20 of the rules.

Imagine two lines connecting corners of C and, say, A. In your diagram, that's lines 1 and 3. Unit A distance is the longer line of 1 and 3. In a similar way, determine what is longest 2 or 4. Unit B distance is the longer line of 2 and 4. Now compare two distances, the smallest one is considered to be the closest enemy.

If two or more values are equal, player whose turn is chooses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeijko's answer is correct. If the units are of equal distance you get to choose which one to consider your nearest enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.