As the subject line states, I'm curious what people have come up with for musical selections to listen to while playing Space Hulk 3rd ed.? As geeky or over-the-top as it may be to enhance a gaming session with music, I can't think of too many other games that benefit as much as Space Hulk does with some great atmospheric music playing in the background. Probably because Space Hulk is fantastically atmospheric and lends itself to a certain cinematic flair. Anyway, my choices are below (with the occasional comment) and I'd enjoy hearing other gamers' selections. I'm also very interested in finding some cool gregorian/latin-style songs that are ominous and spooky-sounding (any recommendations would be appreciated). Without further ado, my choices/suggestions:
1. Duel of the Fates - Star Wars Ep. 1 Soundtrack - John Williams (has that great latin-chanting/singing thing going on)
2. Return to Innocence Remix (Enigma) BUT specifically the first half of the creepy remix Track 3 from the Single CD. Very cool, very appropriate.
3. Cursum Perticio - Enya - (Similar in feel to Duel of the Fates but more creepy/ominous)
4. Pax Deorum - Enya - (Even cooler than Cursum Perticio in both feel and style builds to an impressive crescendo - this song very much felt like a theme song for the Dark Sun campaign setting by TSR, imho)
5. The Black Rider - Howard Shore Lord of the Rings Soundtrack - (The first 59 seconds aren't so great but the last part is fantastic for Space Hulk)
6. Terminator Theme Music - Another great match
7. Burn - The Crow Soundtrack by The Cure - The opening line is nearly perfect, "Don't look, don't look, the shadows breathe..."
8. Let the Bodies Hit the Floor - Drowning Pool - very heavy but also very appropriate both in words and sound/feel
9. What I've Done - Linkin Park - Transformers 1 Soundtrack Main Theme - Somewhat moody and heroic at the same time. It works for me, maybe not as much for you.
10. Closer - Se7en Remix - Nine Inch Nails - I don't much care for the words, pretty awful imho, but if you can find the mix that's instrumental only OR just keep about the entire first half of this song, it's nearly perfect
11. Save Yourself - by one-hit wonders, Stabbing Westward - Appropriate and heavy
12. Leave You Far Behind - Lunatic Fringe from Matrix Soundtrack
13. Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
*** The songs listed below are personal taste though they may not be as good of a match as the ones listed above ***
14. After the Flesh, My Life With the Thrill Kill Cult - The Thrill Kill Cult from The Crow Soundtrack
15. Mad World - Gary Jules (from Donnie Darko soundtrack, also used in a promo preview video for the Xbox 360 game, Gears of War)
16. For An Angel - PVD E-Werk Club Mix - Paul Van Dyk - a Techno mix with some great feeling moments in it
The next batch of songs I'm going to share are not only perfect for the game, particularly as they are words-free but they were also created for the Warhammer 40k & Warhammer Fantasy settings AND perhaps more importantly, they are free to download if you know where to look (and you will once I give you the links):
WARHAMMER 40K DAWN OF WAR - Soundtrack 2. Fallen City 3. Volcano 4. Gabriel's War Cry 5. Mysteries of the Eldar 6. Gathering of the Clans 7. March of the Emperor 8. Sorcery and Might 9. Blood Ravens Approach 10. Dawn of War
WARHAMMER ONLINE - The Sounds of WAR - SOUNDTRACK Blood Tithes - Dark Elf Black Ark's Approach - Dark Elf The Bird God Awakes - Chaos Embracing Pestilence - Chaos Blood Rites - Greenskins Warpath - Greenskins Something Twisted This Way Comes - Empire A Eulogy For Hope - Empire Met With Honour - High Elf The Length and the Measure - Dwarf
Well, there's always the soundtracks for the Gears of War videogames. Both 1 and 2 have some really superb orchestral tracks.
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
There's also the soundtrack for the sci-fi horror movie "Event Horizon". It's got a really strong mix of orchestra and techno going on that somehow fits the horror theme perfectly. There's a great fan made music video tribute to it on youtube that I'd love to post here, but I'm hesitant to since the last 10 seconds of the thing (the whole video is like 9 minutes long) shows a very brief but very, very R rated scene of violence.
The music fits Space Hulk so well though.
Also, like others in that thread, I too have always felt that James Horner's "Aliens" soundtrack is THE perfect mascot soundtrack for Space Hulk above all others.
I may be in the minority here, but I prefer different kinds of electronic ambient soundscapes to enhance the unique mood of Space Hulk instead of certain distinctive songs. It's very difficult to describe exactly what I like – some melody is ok, but the works of say, Jarre or Vangelis tend to be too gimmicky.
I've been trying to find suitable tracks/artists in the last few days. If anyone has any good hints, please do share. Here are some that I've used to good effect:
Tangerine Dream: The 70's stuff, especially tracks from the albums Phaedra, Rubycon and Zeit. Some melodies here, but nothing too distracting.
Popol Vuh: Another veteran German electronic band... but hey, the inherent fatalism of such tracks as Vuh in the album In den Gärten Pharaos is a good fit for my idea of WH40K.