Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently decided to make a custom Hive set, and I ended up buying Octagon tiles rather than hexagon tiles! I still haven't gotten the hex tiles to make my Hive set, but now I'm wondering what to do with 25 Hex tiles! I tried searching key words for "octagon" but none of the games that came up seemed like they would work. Does anyone know of a game that I may be able to use them for?

The tile sheet that I got also came with 25 small square tiles (to fill the holes when the octagons are laid out).

I guess if there isn't something I like, then I'll just have to make my own game up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:

I guess if there isn't something I like, then I'll just have to make my own game up.

There are worse fates.

The one shape where you'd think you'd be able to do something with it and it doesn't work. Maybe the world needs a game with octagonal tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could buy some squares also (and maybe some pawns), then start from this geeklist, and invent your abstract game that combines tetrakis square movement with tile placement...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bindon
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crosstrack uses octagonal tiles (32 apparently), and small square tiles to fill in the gaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
A competitive track placement/race with octagonal dominos, with a playful theme such as a 4-legged potato-sack race.

Alternately, you could sandwich 8 razor blades facing out at each edge, and have yourself some ninja self-defense discs - to ward off intruders and the neighbor's dog, from the comfort of your own balcony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Get yourself some appropriately sized squares and do
a "home-made" version of Keythedral:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivica Crljenica
Sweden
Nacka
Stockholms län
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make Microbe with the octagons, and Micropul with the squares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

You might be able to construct an Octi set - you would need to make it possible to add "prongs" to each side of the tiles (lots of little peg-holes?). It's a good game, but the pieces are problematic.

-R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadmart wrote:
. . . . I'll just have to make my own game up.

I smell a potential contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
You could buy some squares also (and maybe some pawns), then start from this geeklist, and invent your abstract game that combines tetrakis square movement with tile placement...

A similar abstract game already exists. It is a connection game named Stymie that was created by a BGG member:

Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb

However, it would require 64 octagonal tiles and 49 smaller square tiles. Of course, a smaller 5x5 board could be created with 25 octagonal tiles and 16 square tiles. Each player would also require a supply of markers (Go stones would work nicely).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.