Popular Tags: [View All]
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you should be happy. They printed and shipped. And will arrive at the casa de wiles (since I am moving and if their time estimate had been correct I would not have been living here) on Thursday. That means that I should have them all customized and signed and shipped by early next week!

I am excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will order my copy thru ya soon. I myself will be writing my novel theu NaNoWrimo in Nov.

Any advice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Outline before hand. And be prepared to then ignore the outline. My stories tend to lead me, but I have an idea of where they are going.

2) Try to be on pace by the weekends. 1667 words a day doesn't SEEM like a lot. But it is. Especially when life gets in the way (on the same note, try to have some fun every once in a while. Like doing that which shall not be named in chit chat. Getting away can help. Since you are spending a lot of time, effort, energy on, and sacrificing sleep for, this project.

3) Resist the urge to edit. Resist the urge to spell check. Resist the urge to read what you have written. Nano is about getting it done. Editing and fixing it -- that is December and January (though I think March is the unofficial edit my Nano month)

4) As much as possible go to events -- or be active on the site. A supporting group of locals -- or the Nanowrimo guild here in BGG -- is an excellent things. Us municipal liaisons have all sorts of ways of motivating your participants. At least I do. We have score cards that get stickers, and awards and certificates and things. Keeps my people motivated. And you get to meet a lot of people. Who are as crazy as you are.

5) Have fun! Seriously. It is a crazy undertaking. And worth every second.

I shall think more on it, since I have to work on writing my her we are all about to start nano pep talk for my peeps. And change my icon to Nano participant! But i shall wait till October for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya I have the characters, settings, plot, politics, technology and everything covering my drafting table. Blak Dragon I think will be written. Time to get to work this winter and NaNoWriMo is a fun way to write a book.

Toggy are you writing another book then this Nov?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course. One of the conditions of being ML is that one needs to make a decent attempt to win.

I am writing book 3 of a trilogy. It is my pet project.

I suck at titles, so the Divinities Trilogy is the working title. Better than Prophecy, which it was for a while.

"The Kingdom has two kinds of people, those who dwell in the cities, enjoying the bustle of life, the flurry of activities, and those who inhabit the migrant camps, working the land and honing their crafts to get by. While Ateah Stardreamer is the only officially ranked female zalada and favored of the goddess Bolari-lan, she is content to stay in the migrant camp that she calls home, working as healer and protector of the migrant camp. She does not seek the prestige her rank gives her, for rank is nothing that a migrant values. it servers no practical purpose, it will not put food on the table, nor will it ensure the survival of the camp from year to year. Being a healer, and the application of her powers will.

Her idyllic life is disrupted when she receives a personal invitation from the Principian's advisor to participate in a competition meant to discover the strongest zalada in the kingdom. Ateah is not allowed to refuse the invitation, and upon her arrival in the capitol she discovers that the true reason for the competition is shrouded in secrecy. While Ateah wants nothing more than to return home, she begins to discover the secrets behind the motives for the competition, and is informed that the future of the kingdom lies in a prophecy centered around the Stardreamer family. "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did a 1000 word practice last night. My girlfriend described it as the opening to an adventure novel on an acid trip. It took me three tries to get 1000 words without a single edit, and I had to turn auto-edit off, because those squiggly red/green lines draw the eye away from writing and into edit-land.

I have absolutely no plan on writing an outline. I am too much of a perfectionist, and even last night I spent so much time thinking about what I was going to write that I failed to write anything my first try. The only thing I'm going to do is pre-print a bunch of names and a map, two things I think are so important to me for making a story come alive, and something I have a lot of trouble with coming up on the fly.

Personally I am excited

Congrats on all your stuff, and good luck with it all. It'll be fun participating this year instead of cheering from the sidelines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
you should be happy. They printed and shipped. And will arrive at the casa de wiles (since I am moving and if their time estimate had been correct I would not have been living here) on Thursday. That means that I should have them all customized and signed and shipped by early next week!

I am excited.

Only if we release them. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the read. Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait!!

Hey Wiles-es!! You BETTER mail me my book!!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
I can't wait!!

kiss

I will be doing the mailing. I mean, what kind of person would I be if I distributed addresses to second parties.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Toggy wrote:

I am excited.

Do you want your bread? Or your Sandman comic back?

Thought so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
amwiles wrote:
Toggy wrote:

I am excited.

Thought so.

soblue And here I was going to ask for money...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or baby sitting duties. Sorry Amy, I think Toggy has more to hold over you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Toggy wrote:
amwiles wrote:
Toggy wrote:

I am excited.

Thought so.

soblue And here I was going to ask for money...

But the bread is so yummy!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:

Baby sitting duties? I suppose I am lined up for those this week. And some manual labor. Seriously. Besides -- if worse comes to worse I can just go over and steal my books.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
Rappak wrote:

Baby sitting duties? I suppose I am lined up for those this week. And some manual labor. Seriously. Besides -- if worse comes to worse I can just go over and steal my books.

ninja

Crap! You have a key! I forgot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Toggy wrote:
Rappak wrote:

ninja

Yay! You can also mail random Wiles family 'collectibles' out to the early buyers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
I can't wait!!

kiss

I will be doing the mailing. I mean, what kind of person would I be if I distributed addresses to second parties.

ninja

You would be an internet retailer then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
amwiles wrote:
Toggy wrote:
Rappak wrote:

ninja

Yay! You can also mail random Wiles family 'collectibles' out to the early buyers!

She doesn't know where the Black Lotus is, coldie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:
amwiles wrote:
Toggy wrote:
Rappak wrote:

ninja

She doesn't know where the Black Lotus is, coldie.

I said random. She just grab some stuff up when she breaks in. I can see it now: 'I got Jeff's toothbrush! Yeah well I got an empty milk jug! I got an old diaper.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:
I will order my copy thru ya soon. I myself will be writing my novel theu NaNoWrimo in Nov.

Any advice?

A couple more tips from a 2008 "winner".

Write every day. I only wrote a few hundred words on election day last year, but if I'd written nothing, I might not have continued the next day . .

Make sure you have a cheering section - add buddies to your profile on the NaNo site and use them to pace yourself. Chit Chat was very supportive last year, too . . .

Positive reinforcement is key. I pour a glass of wine for myself when I write in the evening, but can't touch it until I have the first 500 words down . . .

Find other local Nanos and do wordsprints. You'll be surprised what your characters do when you get out of the way . . .

It is possible to write 50k without any outline or planning. If you plan too much you'll likely freeze up tying to write a masterpiece rather than a first draft . . .

Otherwise, everything Toggy says is great. Good luck, and remember, "Kill your inner editor - December is for editing . . ."

[On Topic - looking forward to receiving my signed first edition from Toggy!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
I can't wait!!

kiss

ninja

Good to hear. I have to keep up my mysteriousness as much and as far-reaching as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Toggy wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
I can't wait!!

kiss

ninja

Good to hear. I have to keep up my mysteriousness as much and as far-reaching as possible.

Just cause the mystery might get a Christmas card (and with that my new address) does not mean that the mystery will be any more public.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I know her address too AND her name! I sent her baked goods for christmas. I'm too evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Rappy!! Bad Rappy!!

Are you cranky..........yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.