Subject: 1870 rules question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Rusnak
United States
Westchester
Illinois
flag msg tools
1870: Railroading across the Trans Mississippi from 18701870 rules Page 8, last two paragraphs of movement of share prices

"If a share value token is moved into a box where there are one or more tokens, the newly arriving token is place at the bottom of the stack of share value tokens that are already there.

A share value token does not move when a company declares a half dividend."

We had a situation where the Santa Fe & the GMAO started the round with a share value of 64 and the Burlington started with a share price of 60. Both theSanta Fe & GMAO held dividends and were placed under the Burlington. The person playing the Burlington stated, I want to go first next round so I'll pay a half dividend. At that point the presidents of the Santa Fe & GMAO, insisted that the Burlington half dividend would still be considered a movement so it would move from the top to the bottom of the stack. The president of the Burlington insisted the Burlington token would stay on top of the pile.

Who is right, the presidents of the Santa Fe & GMAO or the president of the Burlington?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Share tokens to do not move on half-dividends, not on the stock market and now within the stack of tokens in a slot on the stock-market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played it the other way without question, moving it to the bottom of the stack. This fits the general pattern that when two companies are on the same space, the company that was operating first continues to operate first. But I would agree based on the quoted paragraphs that it should not be moved at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It follows the simple principle of almost all 188x: Whichever was there first/longest goes first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"If a share value token is moved into a box where there are one or more tokens, the newly arriving token is place at the bottom of the stack of share value tokens that are already there.

"A share value token does not move when a company declares a half dividend."

I've never played an 18XX game in my life, but the quoted sentences, assuming they are not misrepresented in any way, make it absolutely clear that the token does not move. Anybody can see that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say the token "does not move" when paying a half-dividend. It's hard to get more clear than that - the token stays on top. Maybe some people think it should work otherwise, but then they need to house rule it. The rules as written are unquestionably clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to the 1870 Rules forum.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.