Subject: Coloring the sides of the components? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mykel McCarthy
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
I was wondering if coloring in the sides of the various game pieces black with a dry-erase marker would produce any ill-effects down the line? It surely doesn't seem like it would but it would suck to have it ruin my entire set. Has anyone tried this?

It looks very awesome on the few extra pieces they give you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done the doors so far and the only issue I have is the ink smell when I open the box... It competes with the plastic smell.

Visually I think it makes a good impression.

I am only doing the exposed sides, I am not coloring the conector areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mykelsss wrote:
I was wondering if coloring in the sides of the various game pieces black with a dry-erase marker would produce any ill-effects down the line? It surely doesn't seem like it would but it would suck to have it ruin my entire set. Has anyone tried this?

i don't understand what you want to do ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only real problem might be warping if you apply the markr to liberally. Otherwise shouldnt cause any issues. You could likely paint the edges too.

But I'd use one of the cardstock sprues before trying anything.
Experiment and see what works or doesnt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to edge all my wargaming pieces but since I transferred to boardgames, I don't do it anymore. (Flat cardboard and chits aren't worth the extra work usually.) However I have done it to my new 3E Space Hulk!!
The only issue you are likely to have down the line is fading. Most inks are not as resilient as you think. Even permanent ink eventually fades. Some of my old pieces (1993 - that I haven't touched up) still have some color although it is patchy and almost gone in some places.

The other thing to be careful of is the edge colors you choose. Space Hulk 3E should not have everything edged in black. The Flame templates look good in orange, the tyranid arrows in purple and the doors and blips in gray. However the floor tiles, ladders and some other bits do look great in black. Don't bother with the jigsaw edges (although I am thinking of doing them purple) as you can't see them except at genestealer entry points. A different edge color is handy to accentuate these areas.

I use markers to do the coloring, as unthinned paint scrapes off and thinned paint bloats the edges. I haven't tried it on the new thicker card but I would suggest a test run on scrap first if anyone wants to use paint.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I did it and it looks pretty awesome:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Price of Knowledge is Despair
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mykelsss wrote:

Here's an example:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mykel McCarthy
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, you've convinced me. Time to get crackin'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A dry erase marker? Wouldn't you want to use a permanent marker, a sharpie? Dry erase would rub off and/or bleed, especially if anything damp touches it...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Casalese
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
A dry erase marker? Wouldn't you want to use a permanent marker, a sharpie? Dry erase would rub off and/or bleed, especially if anything damp touches it...

-shnar

+1. Use a Sharpie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.